Ordering Food Online

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have a very large Italian population here in Boston. The North End is an Italian heaven for food. There are some grocery stores there that make you feel like you are in Italy. Everything in the store is imported from Italy. Sausages hanging from the rafters. Big wheels of cheese sitting on the counter waiting for you to ask for a slice to taste. Then on the weekend Thursday through Saturday, they have the open market. Everyone yelling selling their wares. The meat stores bring out a beef part and cut your order right there. I am not a tourist, but I love going there and just people watch.

During WWII we had a POW camp here in East Boston for Italian soldiers. It was located out at Wood Island Park. It is now part of the airport. The women used to go out there and bring them Italian food. They were very well fed. After the war, a lot of the Italian soldiers didn't return to Italy. They stayed here and married some of the young girls that used to bring the food to them. :angel:

They may add some flavor, I'm just making a suggestion in case you can't find the husks in PA. If nothing else, I would be happy to mail you some.
Pac, I can't find corn husks here and our corn doesn't produce big enough husks...I stock up on them whenever I go to Northern MN. I get them at the Walmart. I'll take a look-see when I'm at Walmart in upstate New York next week to see if that Walmart carries them. I don't think the fact they are available at Walmart in N. MN is unique.

I've ordered non-perishables as well, delivered to my folks' house when I'm in MN. I've ordered dried mushrooms, blue posole, french lentils, and some other stuff from this company:

Purcell Mountain Farms - Dried Beans

I've also ordered specialty olive oil from this company:

Olive Oil: Extra Virgin, Flavored & Specialty | Old Town Oil

I too have shipped the Maine Lobster Boil dinner to my parents. Believe me, they do not live in the easiest place to find, but the lobster and clams arrived alive.

Pac, I can't find corn husks here and our corn doesn't produce big enough husks...I stock up on them whenever I go to Northern MN. I get them at the Walmart. I'll take a look-see when I'm at Walmart in upstate New York next week to see if that Walmart carries them. I don't think the fact they are available at Walmart in N. MN is unique.

I've ordered non-perishables as well, delivered to my folks' house when I'm in MN. I've ordered dried mushrooms, blue posole, french lentils, and some other stuff from this company:

Purcell Mountain Farms - Dried Beans

I've also ordered specialty olive oil from this company:

Olive Oil: Extra Virgin, Flavored & Specialty | Old Town Oil

I too have shipped the Maine Lobster Boil dinner to my parents. Believe me, they do not live in the easiest place to find, but the lobster and clams arrived alive.
I thought Earthy.com was expensive at $44 per litre of Spanish Hojiblanca EVOO but Old Town has them beat at $45.20 per litre of Australian Hojiblanca. I see that olivoillovers.com has Hojiblanca for $14.56 per litre, but I have not done business with them.
BTW, the hard to find citron halves from Kalustyan's arrived yesterday and look terrific.

With respect to mail-order coffee, Sweet Maria's has an interesting site, but I've given up on buying their green beans because they are no longer offering any of the varieties that I purchased from them last year. Not much sense in buying and developing a roasting technique for coffee varieties that are not likely to remain available.

Over the years since the Internet came into being, I have run into those "Oh I would never buy food over the Internet. You can't trust those people." folks. Too bad for them. They are missing out on some dang good food. Not all of us live down the street from Penzey's. Or near a chocolate factory, or coffee grinding house. As most Internet companies do, you receive with your order a sampling of something you didn't order. Those little samples introduce you to a whole new taste for your mouth. Long live the Internet and those small samples. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom