Ordering Food Online

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
So I just had my family and friends over for a holiday dinner. I decided not only to cook, but order some of my favorite foods that Ive experienced in my travels.

Whoopie Pies
Wicked Whoopies -- Whoopie Pies

Philly Soft Pretzels
PretzelsDirect.com

Knishes
The World’s Finest Knishes-SINCE 1910 - 137 East Houston Street New York, NY 10002 The Lower East Side - Phone/Fax (212) 477-2858

All of which, the ordering and delivery were great.
We've had these products when traveling, but thought it would be fun to introduce them to our friends and family, and kinda a unique twist on being a host.
(The Knishes we were told to freeze until the day of, but the reheating directions were way off, but other than this, all of the above sites were great)

So my question is, Has anyone experienced ordering unique things from other reliable sites. I love trying new things, but cant travel as much as Id like to, so This may be another fun way to experience foods from around the country ( world). But since so many exist online, Im really looking for sites that people have had a good experience with.

Larry

Yes I have.
I've ordered various seafoods, alligator and crawfish from different online sources. Very good experience with all of them. I've even sent others "surprises" of live lobster meals. They had good feedback, also.
I simply Google what I want and usually end up with one of the ones who place Google ads and are in the top five anyway.
Now if I could just find a souce for raw pork bellies...

I once got felafel from chicago, i was in the mood for it, didnt feel like frying them up. Had them overnighted to my house, and they were great. Unfortunately, i lost the website.

I once got felafel from chicago, i was in the mood for it, didnt feel like frying them up. Had them overnighted to my house, and they were great. Unfortunately, i lost the website.

That's great! I once heard some guys on a talk radio/TV show talking about doing that same thing.
It's the only way to try something different where I live, unless you tackle making them yourself.

I've only had experience with non-perishables, but those odd places I've used, have always served me well.

We order live crawfish from LA, mushrooms and black truffles from OR.

That's pretty cool, Kay. Thanks.
uhh, question though... do you actually eat the corn husk they are wrapped in? I am clueless.

You both are welcome!

No Pac, the husk is not edible! You do however, heat them with the husk intact and just flip the tamale onto a plate when it's hot. I steam mine but I'm sure directions come with them. I like some kind of a Mexican sauce to put on the top, or just a simple Pico de Gallo is good.

I like a red or green enchilada sauce (Hatch's if you can get it) over my tamales. You want it mild so it does not overshadow the tamales.

You both are welcome!

No Pac, the husk is not edible! You do however, heat them with the husk intact and just flip the tamale onto a plate when it's hot. I steam mine but I'm sure directions come with them. I like some kind of a Mexican sauce to put on the top, or just a simple Pico de Gallo is good.

Thanks. I honestly wasn't sure if there was some thin layer that steaming made edible. I guess it's just for flavor then.

Thanks. I honestly wasn't sure if there was some thin layer that steaming made edible. I guess it's just for flavor then.

Actually, if you can't find corn husks, you can use parchment paper to wrap them. It helps to hold their shape while they are steamed. Corn husks were just invented before parchment paper...;)

Actually, if you can't find corn husks, you can use parchment paper to wrap them. It helps to hold their shape while they are steamed. Corn husks were just invented before parchment paper...;)

So they don't add flavor? I thought they did because when I grill corn (in the husk) I always get that nice corn smell when the husks burn a little.
Parchment paper I have :)

So they don't add flavor? I thought they did because when I grill corn (in the husk) I always get that nice corn smell when the husks burn a little.
Parchment paper I have :)

They may add some flavor, I'm just making a suggestion in case you can't find the husks in PA. If nothing else, I would be happy to mail you some.

They may add some flavor, I'm just making a suggestion in case you can't find the husks in PA. If nothing else, I would be happy to mail you some.

Thanks for the offer. I'll see what the store brings, but knowing that parchment paper will also work is a great tip.

I order most of my meat from Omaha Steaks and the price is more expensive than the supermarket but pretty close to what I'd pay in a local butcher shop, but what you get in the butcher shop isn't vacuum packed in perfect portion sizes.

I ordered a package from Made in Buffalo containing 6 lbs of Sahlen's hot dogs, a jar of Weber's mustard and a bottle of Ted's hot dog sauce. I haven't got the package yet, but if it works out, they also have a 5 lb Wardynski's mixed beef and pork balogna, and I have a slicer. Don't give me that baloney. I want Wardynski's!

Last edited:
I've ordered lots of non-perishable food items from Amazon, such as:
San Marzano Canned Whole Tomatoes
Bionaturae Organic Canned Whole Tomatoes, Kadoya Dark Sesame Oil
Newman's Own Organics Cinnamon Graham Alphabet Cookies
Michael Seasons Thin and Crispy Unsalted Potato Chips
Dove Promises Milk Chocolate
Dove Milk Chocolate Bars
Various Cereals
Sesmark Savory Thins
Canned Sardines
Canned Tuna
and other food items.

Also:
Dried porcini mushrooms from Pistol River:
Dried Mushrooms, Pistol River Mushroom Farm, Gold Beach, Oregon. Growing Gourmet Mushrooms on the Oregon Coast
Vanilla Beans from Beanilla
Vanilla Beans, Extracts and Baking Products | Beanilla)
Bustelo Cafe Instant Espresso from Java Cabana
http://www.javacabana.com/
See's Chocolates
http://www.sees.com/?gclid=CNbenY7wtrQCFQ2znQodMmUA2A

Last edited:
Oh yes, once a year I order from javacabana.com too. I get a case of Medaglia dÓro Instant Espresso.

Check your old credit card bills and look for the name of the company. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom