Ordering Food Online

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's pretty cool, Kay. Thanks.
uhh, question though... do you actually eat the corn husk they are wrapped in? I am clueless.

:LOL: I recall DH hacking through the husks and trying to choke them down the first time we attempted eating tamales many years ago. They really should come with instructions, as I've seen other folks ask the same question when we've been in Mexican restaurants.

I love Wicked Whoopies! I eat them every time we go to Maine. Went to their store in Freeport and got to try a bunch if flavors. The original is still my favorite!

:LOL: I recall DH hacking through the husks and trying to choke them down the first time we attempted eating tamales many years ago. They really should come with instructions, as I've seen other folks ask the same question when we've been in Mexican restaurants.

;) Thanks for the reminder Dawg, that we all come from different food cultures. I grew up with tamales and how to eat them. Easy for me.
IMO, a Mexican tamale must be made in the dried corn husk, and steamed within the husk for the proper flavor without exception. A steamed and properly made Mexican tamale is easy to flip from the corn husk, and the husk easily set aside. Thanks for the reminder that not everyone knows that!

Check your old credit card bills and look for the name of the company. :angel:

Thats a great Idea, but the problem is, it must have been 10 years ago, and they never charged me :ohmy:

I actually felt terrible about it. I dont like taking advantage of anyone, but we got it, ate it, and didnt realize we were never charged til it was too late and had no evidence of where we got it :)

Back then I didnt check my credit card receipts as I do today.

Now Im a bit older and wiser ( I hope):ROFLMAO:

I love Wicked Whoopies! I eat them every time we go to Maine. Went to their store in Freeport and got to try a bunch if flavors. The original is still my favorite!

You and me Both , Brother..

We saw a thing on the food network, how there was / is some kinda debate over who makes the best whoopies ( pies that is) and where they originated from, and who is better known for them ( Pennsylvania or Maine).

This was the perfect excuse I used to go do a whoopie pie taste test.

Got a bunch from Flying Monkey Bakery, In Philly's Reading Terminal market , who are also well known for their ' Pummple Cake' ( which is a apple pie baked within a vanilla cake, layered on top of a pumpkin pie baked within a chocolate cake, the whole thing frosted over. (kinda like the turducken of cakes))

Also got some from a few Amish Markets outside of Philly.

Then off to Maine. First stop, Portland's Cranberry Island KItchen, Featured on a Bobby Flay throw down episode, Two Fat Cats, on the other side of town, and Finally, our last stop was Freeport Maine, to Wicked Whoopies , where we visit annually on our Maine Summer vaction.

So, our personal results were that although the Whoopie Pies on Pennsylvania were better ( sorry Maine, we still love you and your whoopies), Wicked Whoopies took the cake ( so to speak) in Maine. Only ordered online from them once ( this past week), but were very reliable, and everyone loved them, would definitely order again from the site and will obviously still make our annual pilgrimage to Freeport for some Wicked Whoopies...

As an added note, Loved the When Pigs Fly bread bakery in Freeport too. Was going to order from there for the holidays, but it was too late, and couldnt guarantee Id get them in time for the holiday. You snooze, you loose, as the saying goes.

Thanks to Merstar and this link, I must ordered some dry Italian porcini.

That should have said 'just'.

AND they just arrived. A pound of dry porcini along with a complimentary packet of dry oyster mushrooms. Don't know what I'll do with them.

That should have said 'just'.

AND they just arrived. A pound of dry porcini along with a complimentary packet of dry oyster mushrooms. Don't know what I'll do with them.

That's great - They have the best prices I've seen anywhere, great customer service, and fast shipping, as you've found out! And I love that they include a complimentary packet of a different type of mushroom.
When you open the container of porcini, the aroma is amazing!

I've ordered Parmigiano-Reggiano and Bel Paese cheeses from D'Italia.com and DH's brother sent us a package from Omaha Steaks for Christmas. Both have excellent service and quality.

My girlfriend in Atlanta can't find Romano cheese in her area. And the Parm is just the little packet from Stella. A local brand. So about twice a year I get two large pieces of both of them and send them to her. She feels like she has been sent large nuggets of gold. Living where I do, I get the imported from Italy, right off the wheel. It costs only $4.99 a pound.

Boston is the closet port to Europe. As a result, the prices for imported items are often less expensive than the rest of the country. Including cheeses. :angel:

$4.99/lb?!
That's highway robbery! :ohmy:
YOU I mean! :LOL:

Dang, that's a good price. I think I pay 16-18 per lb for parm reg.

My girlfriend in Atlanta can't find Romano cheese in her area. And the Parm is just the little packet from Stella. A local brand. So about twice a year I get two large pieces of both of them and send them to her. She feels like she has been sent large nuggets of gold. Living where I do, I get the imported from Italy, right off the wheel. It costs only $4.99 a pound.

Boston is the closet port to Europe. As a result, the prices for imported items are often less expensive than the rest of the country. Including cheeses. :angel:
Locatelli Pecorino Romano for $4.99 per pound? Runs about $9 around here and it's one of my staples.

if for some reason, the fiscal cliff, say, caused a sharp price increase in the italian romano and parm cheeses for you, addie, would you still buy them--at $18.00/lb., addie? also, do you think you can love or appreciate lobster and the italian cheeses as much as some of us do who must pay premium prices to be able to enjoy them?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom