Oregon truffles.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OFG

Assistant Cook
I have about 8 ounces of Oregon truffles. What are some good recipes to use?

I'm thinking about trying a truffle bread of sorts this evening.

anyhow heres what they look like..

trufflebowl.jpg

they need to be cleaned up a bit.

They are very powerful.. my milk and everything in the fridge either smells or tastes like truffles. (or the smoked cheese I made a while back)

Anyhow.. any good recipees would be appreciated..

thanks

man, if i had the problem of what to make with all of those truffles, i would have a hay day....what are you leaning toward?

I thought truffles only grew in
France and Italy. I never knew they were available anywhere else. And as I've never actually had the actual critter, I can't help you. But I'd sure like to try.

But I can't post without sharing what I do know. Truffle oil is something that I work with fairly often. It's flavor is unique in the mushroom world. It goes wonderfully with pasta, chicken, rice, and most poultry in general. I think I'd clean and chop a few truffles and add to either a rice/wild rice stuffing and pack it into a whole roasting chicken, or maybe add the chopped truffles into a creamy rissoto.

They would also enhance good soups and sauces. Add to the au jus from a good beef roast and serve with a crusty bread and the meat, along with some smashed spuds. Just a few ideas.

I've never seen them served up as a side dish, or battered and deep fried. They've always been used to flavor other things, much like morells are used to flavor other dishes as they are a fairly strong flavor. Let us know what you do and how they turned out.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

There's some info on Oregon truffles at:

Oregon Truffles

There are a few recipes on the site, though the only one that inspired me is the simplest of the lot (served with pasta). I have no experience of Oregon truffles at all so I can't give you any further advice. Truffle and potato dishes are simple and popular in Europe. Look up truffles and potatoes in Google and you get a whole host of hits, I'm sure you'll find something you like. Any eggs in the fridge will pick up the scent of the truffles, especially if you put one in the same box. Scrambled eggs or oeufs en cocotte scented with truffles would be delicious.

I've been having a scout about Google. This site looks like it could be useful. It gives advice on making truffle oil as well.

The Truffle FAQ: Cooking With Truffles

(Edited to add BayGourmet link)

Last edited:
Chef Jimmy..

Anything that will let me use them before they go bad... something that will allow me to preserve them would be great.

Snoop

I know about the trufflezone and the baygormet sites.. as well as the Nats site, I was hoping for some other recipes...

Goodweed.. We have our own truffles here in the U.S. although not as well known as european truffles, they are still really good. If you get a chance give some a shot..

I didn't really feel much like cooking last night so I whipped up some biskits and fried up some ham and shitakes and then added a few truffles in at the last couple of minutes.. it was O.K. I put a little smoked cheese on it too so it was a ham and cheese mushroom biskit with truffles.. :cool:

Shave them over beautiful soft scrambled eggs, over polenta, simple pasta dish with truffles shaved over the top. I've heard that you can stuff one or two into rice and cover completely - then refrigerate. The rice (hopefully arborio) will take on the flavor and become orgasmic!

Oh to heck with it, :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: save your energy, just put them in the FedEx box to me and since I'm out of work I'll be able to devote lots of time to figuring out what to do with them. LOL:angel::LOL::LOL::LOL: We'll report back on the results!:angel:

LOL :LOL: Harborwitch! I only have truffle oil from Club Sauce (clubsauce.com - wonderful site). I don't believe I've ever tasted even a bit of truffle on any food.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I talked to my eldest #1 daughter this am. When they last visited I gave her a nice chunk of frozen truffle butter. She said before she can let anyone see it she'll have to trim off the tooth marks! Like a little rodent she's been a nibbling!:ohmy::LOL::LOL::LOL:

That's another idea - chop them up and mix with really really good butter, form into logs and freeze. Heaven for a long long time!

That's right...lol. Just toy with me HarborWitch.

In my shopping over all these years, I've never run into a TRUFFLE.

I did the eggs thing the other day.. and I have butter and oil both going.. guess I should hook up some rice now.. I hear they don't freeze well, I wish I could just freeze them and use em as I need em..

they have truffles in a few of the stores around here.. they usually run around 199.99 a pound.. For Oregon whites.. the blacks are 1/2 again to twice as much..

Thanks, I'll bookmark it for sure. I won't be doing 'real' cooking until the end of April. :neutral:

I made pizza last night using truffle oil in making the dough and also to grease the pan with.. with pork sausage and linguica as the toppings.. unreal.. it was wonderful...

Back
Top Bottom