"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-24-2010, 07:10 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Organic

We just watched the documentary, Food, Inc. We are now planning on buying meat from farmers. In other words, trying to eat food without the hormones or whatever they are feeding the livestock.

If anyone else is doing this already, could you please let me know about the difference in preparing? I know not as tender as other regular bought meat in store. Just don't want to get defeated before I even get started

Thanks!

Old 04-24-2010, 07:32 AM   #2
Executive Chef

There's no difference in preparation. It simply means the hormone implants ranchers often use are now missing. There's no difference in looks or taste. You'll simply avoid ingesting hormones that get cattle to put on additional weight, usually 40-50 pounds by the time they're market-ready.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:44 AM   #3
Senior Cook

I think it is great that you are wanting to buy your food from farmers, it is a great idea.

BUT, don't think for one minute that that "documentary" told the whole truth. Just some fyi.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:47 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
There's no difference in preparation. It simply means the hormone implants ranchers often use are now missing. There's no difference in looks or taste. You'll simply avoid ingesting hormones that get cattle to put on additional weight, usually 40-50 pounds by the time they're market-ready.
That is pretty much right, it just takes quite a bit longer to get to weight, so it will cost a bit more.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:58 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

is that why i cry, then i laugh, then i cry, then i blame whomever's around for everything, then i laugh and watch "the view" every time i have a steak?

lol, hiya itk. it's been a long time. i hope you and yours are well.

good luck with the farmer's meats. i'm stuck with buying store meats here.

don't say anything mean or i might cry again.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:21 AM   #6
Everymom

Hi ITK, long time no see! We have often bought a side of beef. Really the only difference is that things are better tasting straight off the farm. You have to pay for the butchering etc so don't think you will be getting much of a deal. A bit, but not a lot. As for prep, the one thing I've noticed is my ground beef from a side of beef is always so lean that I need to add some oil to the pan when I cook it. If I'm making something like a meatloaf or meatballs I need to use a bit of ground pork or everything is way too dry.

Enjoy!

PS, BigAl is quite right. Often the documentaries you see don't paint a full picture. The farmer is going to have used the same antibiotics whether he sells the cow to you or to the packers a few weeks later. You might miss something, but not a lot. What you are REALLY doing though is buying local, and that is an important thing to do too.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:29 AM   #7
Head Chef

Depends on the farmer/rancher... if it is purely grass fed beef, then there will be a difference in taste. I have a friend that trades music lessons for beef from a local rancher. It's grass fed and she says it indeed is leaner and has a different taste than grain fed beef.
Buying local, buying organic, buying from the rancher, can all be very different.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:35 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

so you could say he gets his beef for a song?

Old 04-24-2010, 09:38 AM   #9
Head Chef

nope, not a "song," a tune... she teaches cello lessons to the rancher's daughter
:-)

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:40 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

and the sound of someone murdering a cat doesn't spook the cattle? lol.