"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
View Poll Results: How Much does Organic and Local food mean to you
I Only Shop Organic/Local 8 22.86%
Sometimes When I Can 24 68.57%
I Don't Even Consider It 3 8.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-04-2009, 05:16 PM   #31
Master Chef
Well I don't know about your neck of the woods, but where I grew up (Iowa) the farmers had to use fertilizer not because it made the crops grow faster but because the organic content in the soil was so low they wouldn't grow without the fertilizer.
And of course I still hold that the fewer chemicals in and on my food, the better off I am for it. But getting obsessed over it is no way to go, either. Too much of a good thing, can become a bad thing. And driving yourself and those around you mad over it isn't going to help anyone either. Seriously, I have met some like that.... scary LOL!

Maverick2272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:39 PM   #32
Head Chef
It is my understanding after reading the regulations after the 1990 organic food law was enacted that there are great big exceptions when organic farmers can use nonorganic products such as pesticides and the like. If this has changed since 1990, I would love someone to point it out in the federal rules and regulations for me.

It is why I have always been a bit cynical about organic foods.

However, I do like to buy local and do so. We have a lot of farmer markets around when the weather is nice. I also try to eat in season. I think that is very important.

PieSusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:22 PM   #33
Master Chef
Even if the farmer doesn't use any chemicals at all, you still have to ask where the water comes from. I remember even by the mid to late 80's they had to start treating all of our wells for chemicals because it had gotten to the point that they had saturated the ground and well water for the entire Northwest section of Iowa.
So, even if the farmer didn't use chemicals, he would still have to use only treated well water instead of the usual direct well water or he would still be dumping chemicals on his crops.
Something to think about, even if the use of chemicals doesn't bother you that much or at all, don't forget the environmental impact. What good are fast growing pest free crops if you have no water to drink??
Maverick2272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:30 PM   #34
Senior Cook
I had to vote organic/local, because I grow my own and they are both. My Dad is a farmer, so I would consider him both organic and local. He doesn't use chemicals on his produce and he and my Mom always give us stuff from their farm. I don't use chemicals eighter.

Edit - Yes, I care. I think it's important to consider what is going into our bodies, but I choose to care that way. I think it's a personal choice, and no one will die younger than I will because they ate veggies that were treated with chemicals.
That is if they are careful to wash those real well. Even so at cooking temps as high as they are, I don't see a problem with any of them.
A forum is but a forum; the people make it a family.
Erinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:10 AM   #35
Executive Chef
dh and I may be over the top of these issues. I feel very strongly about wanting to only consume local, organic food stuffs, as much as possible. We eat about 98% of organic fruits and vegetables we raise ourselves. 95% of our dairy consumption is our own product, but it is not organic, we buy commercially raised oats and sunflower seeds. Likewise, our meat can not be considered organic, the kids are milk fed and the hay is organic. So we pretty much produce all our meat, dairy, fruits and vegetables.
Because so much of our diet is produced by us, I have no problem buying a 3L tin of olive oil from Spain, or vanilla beans from Madagascar, or any of the other essential ingredients I want to cook with. Even though I want to eat all organic, I do not practice what I preach. I bake all our breads, rolls, pancakes, cookies, brownies, etc, but the flour I buy, King Arthur Traditional Whole Wheat, is not organic. And bread products make up a large part of our diet.

So, yes, I care, and am willing to do an incredible amount of work to achieve this goal of mine, to eat local and organic.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:50 AM   #36
Head Chef
I try to buy locally whenever possible. Mostly fof the quality. However, buying only locally would mean no bananas, coffee, oranges, no fruits or vegetables at all in the winter. Very few decent steaks Even at the farmers markets and stands here, produce starts to come in a few weeks earlier and later than the harvest in Richmond. Starts in Florida and ends in the northeast. I don't know what the criteria for organic labelling is, but I doubt if all foreign organic food products meet any criteria.
Bigjim68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:57 AM   #37
Master Chef
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
I dunno.... I picked up the package of frozen organic spinach I bought last weekend at Whole Foods, and looked for the place of origin... GROWN IN CHINA! Their regular frozen spinach is from California. Why can't they find a closer source for organic veggies?

I had heard about the China source, but hadn't believed it. Well.... so much for WF organic vegetables! I'll take made in USA first!

now my big question:
is it still that good for the world, atmosphere and everyting if it was shipped once around the earth?
Wouldn't it be better to buy something local conventional food?

I'm not sure about how it works in the US, but here in G organic farmers are allowed to use organic fertilizers like dung or slurry.
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:17 AM   #38
Assistant Cook
We tend to eat what's in season so the vast majority of our produce is British, produced without chemicals and/or free range and as much as possible is produced locally. Yes, I think it matters.

Of course, I make exception for things that just cannot be reasonably produced in the UK like tropical fruits and the like but again, you can generally find fair trade suppliers for those kinds of things if you want to.
Elo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:38 PM   #39
I'm less concerned about environmental impact/organic/local etc than I am about quality. I grew up in a very urban environment, but if you went five minutes outside that very urban environment you were on a farm. That meant a very high quality of produce and meat that was probably very local, although we didn't really think about it at the time.

Then I moved to Boston. The quality of produce and meat available at most of the mainstream markets around here is abyssmal. I have to shop at Whole Foods just to get meat with some kind of taste that isn't rancid and produce that isn't rotting on the shelves. If I can get local food I will, and having finally discovered a good farmer's market during the growing season I use it as much as possible.

So for me it's definitely a quality issue, not a lifestyle issue. Locally grown food is likely to be significantly fresher, so it's naturally going to be higher quality than something flown around the world and held up in customs for three weeks. But I live in New England. To eat seasonally and locally would essentially involve either no vegetables between december and June, or a whole lot of freezing, which my freezer can't really accomodate. If I lived somewhere with a longer growing season and more local growers, I might be a little better about it.

Fearless Kitchen
Fearless Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote