"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
View Poll Results: How Much does Organic and Local food mean to you
I Only Shop Organic/Local 8 22.86%
Sometimes When I Can 24 68.57%
I Don't Even Consider It 3 8.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-02-2009, 11:01 AM   #1
Sous Chef
Organic & Local Food Sourcing... do you care?

So on New Years Eve I think I really annoyed one of my neighbors.

She is one of a group trying to start a Food CoOp in the neighborhood. I was trying to find out what they were thinking of having at this place because our area is pretty poorly served foodwise... I start getting the impression that it is going to be a storefront filled with bins of scoop your own organic Quinoa... and valu size ricemilk ugh... I had had a few drinks I ran my mouth a bit think my sarcasm got to her... but seriously... organic and local is fine to a point but I want my Prosciutto people!

I really like the idea of buying local produce and local meats (they are not having meat) etc but everytime I look into one of these coops or byuing clubs they are super restrictive and the people involved are so holier than though... its just too much... it ends up turining me off to the idea. The stuff labeled organic at the supermarket is generally pricy and I am just not convinced any better.

I reald lables for additives, I try to avoid processed foods. I try to use whole grains... but some stuf needs to be imported and sometimes money is an issue... I dont shop at WholeFoods because the prices are crazy insane and the lines are long and the parking is terrible (and I am not about to bike thank you)

All the neo-urban-hippies in my neighborhood are hellbent on this local-organic-urban farming thing (they are also conspicuosly anti-deoderant)

I just dont find it sustanable lifestyle wise.

So I am curious how y'all think about these issues... do you take this into consideration when you shop?

PanchoHambre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:19 AM   #2
Certified Cake Maniac
Okay, I voted that I only shop for local and organic but really it is MOST of the time, but there is no way I could only shop that way. In my catering I am known for my fresh, local and organic ingredients so in that context I am careful to stay in those parameters. However, for home cooking it isn't always that easy.

I could go on and on about the virtues of fresh market ingredients over supermarket specials, but then I would have to qualify it at the end by saying I have often shopped at the organic store and then popped across the street to Mickey D's for a quarter pounder with cheese!

As for the coops, Pancho, I agree with you. I have been approached several times to go into one but find them too restrictive for my needs. I would either end up with too much for DH and I or not enough for a catering event. So, I pass on the opportunity.

"Variety is not just the spice of life, it is the key to life" - Chef Michael Smith

LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:28 AM   #3
Executive Chef
I buy from local farms around me (meat butter eggs all the time, veg in the late spring through Thanksgiving) Fish I have two "local "markets but both are "supplied" as no one catches Alaskan Salmon in the local streams here! And right now I use the local supermarket which is a good one luckily for fresh veg...obviously not local PA or Jersey in January.
The quality I get locally is extraordinary. I will also get specialty products "on line" such as a particular ham or cheese, etc. How many pantry staples are "imported" but I can use local companies such as Cento of NJ so I am helping my local economy.
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:28 AM   #4
Master Chef
I'm with Laurie on this, I shop most of the time for organic / local farmer's markets. I only recently heard of these CoOps... but don't know much about them at the moment.
sattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:34 AM   #5
Head Chef
I shop organic/local as much as I can and I would jump at the chance for a food co-op in my neighborhood.
Toots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:42 AM   #6
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I shop organic/local as much as possible, and frankly if its one or the other, I go for local. What good is organic if it's from China????

What I also do is seasonal, as much as possible. For instance, I don't eat or serve food that is clearly seasonal but is conspicuously available from far-off places year round such as tomatoes, strawberries, asparagus.
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:55 AM   #7
Seasonal, local and organic to the extent that time, and my restaurant owners permit. At home it is a simple fix, grow your own local organic fruits and veggies.
chefnaterock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:11 PM   #8
Executive Chef
I agree with Laurie - I would like to shop that way all the time, but cannot always - some things like fruit in winter can only come from abroad. I also have to bear in mind that my wallet is not limitless.

We grow some of our own veg and I sometimes buy local or organis sourced veg. The majority of the meat I buy is locally sourced.
"For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others." - Nelson Mandela
miniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:12 PM   #9
Master Chef
I also agree with LP..
regional products whenever possible, I even try to get the milk at the supermarket from the northern dairies, but sometimes it's not possible... they do not make swiss cheese in northern Germany ;o)
But then I try to buy at least organic... when it's possible and the shop offers the possibility
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:17 PM   #10
Head Chef
I agree with June. For me it is not a moral or lifestyle issue as much as a quest for quality. That leaves out, for the most part, fruits and vegetaqbles in winter, unless thay are frozen. I find that most co-ops are about a lifestyle rather than a quality or price issue. They have a right to their lifestyle, I have a right not to embrace it. (The meat issue almost always comes up. There is Hereford, Angus, Wygu, and several others. Never heard of that soy breed) I shop for quality, am willing to search for it and pay for it.

Bigjim68 is offline   Reply With Quote