organic scares people :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Julio

Senior Cook
I'm trying to introduce organic eggs to friends and family members and they all act like the eggs won't taste good for some reason. I tell them how the chickens more happier and free to eat and roam freely around. They all laugh... :(

she doesn't feel the need to cross the road every 5 minutes, i guess.

free "pitch" chickens:

chicken-soccer.jpg

More often than not, it's not the food, but rather the organic people that are scary. The laughter is just a defense mechanism, Julio. An industrial egg looks no different than an organic egg that you've collected from your backyard pen this morning. Ignorance is usually a hypocritical accusation. If you're humble about it, just living your life, all of your family and friends will gravitate to you, I guarantee.

Just cook 'em a breakfast of sunnyside eggs, and lovingly smile when they exclaim that they're the best eggs they've ever eaten. Only when they initiate asking you, genuinely curious, about the origin of their breakfast eggs should you give them your point of view.

To give is better than to take. To give is also better than to persuade others to take. Freedom and happiness are human ideas. Only when a chicken stops clucking can we assume that they are unhappy, feeling imprisoned, or that the tractor trailer's tires have squashed the lights out of this particularly stupid hen.

I had a co-worker tell me that she wouldn't eat anything organic because they used animal poop for fertilizer! She said that she preferred chemicals! This is an older lady too. I asked her what she thought that they used for hundreds of years before chemicals?

I buy cage free vegetarian fed eggs. I think they taste better, and I hope that the chickens are raised better. I pay around $2.50 a dozen, I can get the others for 99 cents at ALDI but I find the others better. When I am doing heavy baking I will buy the cheaper ones.

My next step is seeking a convenient source for local cage free eggs.

Thanks Everyone!

They gotta be happy chickens if they are free to run around. I got that from watching a show on tv not to long ago.

spork is right. sometimes being too goody goody (organic is one of 'em) makes people laugh. so instead just serve them food and let them know and taste how good it is. then start bragging that it's organic.

I had a co-worker tell me that she wouldn't eat anything organic because they used animal poop for fertilizer! She said that she preferred chemicals! This is an older lady too. I asked her what she thought that they used for hundreds of years before chemicals?.

The sad thing is that there are way too many people who think this way! :(

I had a co-worker tell me that she wouldn't eat anything organic because they used animal poop for fertilizer! She said that she preferred chemicals! This is an older lady too. I asked her what she thought that they used for hundreds of years before chemicals?

Actually that's not entirely true. There are a number of other sources for organic fertilizer, including, primarily, compost from non-animal food scraps.

Actually that's not entirely true. There are a number of other sources for organic fertilizer, including, primarily, compost from non-animal food scraps.

But don't you have to ensure that all the food items you add to the compost pile are also organic? Then, what if some of those scraps were fertilized with poop? That would result in non-organic, poop-fertilized compost. If you use that to fertilize plants, they could become non-organic and poop-feertilized (once removed). Oh, the horror of it all. What will become of us?

Andy; if the poop is organic, then it's all Ok. You just have to make sure that all of the feed given to the animal is pesticide free, and has not had its genes manipulated. It also has to have been given no hormones or anti-biotics. Then you have organic poop. I know that I always ask questions of my butchers whether or not the feed-lot cattle they get from their suppliers is organic meat (NOT).

But seriously, organic food is simply food that's been raised or grown with the nutrients found in mother nature, rather than getting them from man-made substances. Free range chickens, fed organic, vegetarian diet isn't much different in quality compared to standard eggs. Free range chickens are also not that much happier. They still maintain a pecking order, which makes some poor chicken really hen-pecked. They have to worry about weasles, mink, fox, coyoties, and even dogs and cats, not to mention hawks, eagles, and owls.

Free range chickens which feed on the natural foods supplied by nature produce better tasting eggs, and meat due to the inclusion of insect and worm protien, and the wild plants that they eat. They also get more exercise, which causes more blood and nutrients to feed all the itty-bitty- chicken cells, adding flavor and nutritional value to the meat and eggs.

If a chicken is truly free range, you can bet it's not vegetarian. I've seen a bunch of hens pounce on the occasional lone rat or mouse and consume it like a pack of parahnas, litteraly. That animal didn't last for much more than two or three seconds once the hens saw it. And the roosters that attacked my children, well they made pretty good chicken stews.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Andy; if the poop is organic, then it's all Ok. You just have to make sure that all of the feed given to the animal is pesticide free, and has not had its genes manipulated. It also has to have been given no hormones or anti-biotics. Then you have organic poop. I know that I always ask questions of my butchers whether or not the feed-lot cattle they get from their suppliers is organic meat (NOT).

But seriously, organic food is simply food that's been raised or grown with the nutrients found in mother nature, rather than getting them from man-made substances. Free range chickens, fed organic, vegetarian diet isn't much different in quality compared to standard eggs. Free range chickens are also not that much happier. They still maintain a pecking order, which makes some poor chicken really hen-pecked. They have to worry about weasels, mink, fox, coyotes, and even dogs and cats, not to mention hawks, eagles, and owls.

Free range chickens which feed on the natural foods supplied by nature produce better tasting eggs, and meat due to the inclusion of insect and worm protein, and the wild plants that they eat. They also get more exercise, which causes more blood and nutrients to feed all the itty-bitty- chicken cells, adding flavor and nutritional value to the meat and eggs.

If a chicken is truly free range, you can bet it's not vegetarian. I've seen a bunch of hens pounce on the occasional lone rat or mouse and consume it like a pack of pirahnas, literally. That animal didn't last for much more than two or three seconds once the hens saw it. And the roosters that attacked my children, well they made pretty good chicken stews.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

But don't you have to ensure that all the food items you add to the compost pile are also organic?

I don't think so. When I was composting and taking my scraps to the drop-off box at the Union Square Greenmarket, they never questioned whether the scraps were organic.

Back
Top Bottom