Other uses for Miso

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheNoodleIncident

Senior Cook
I'm new to Miso - wanted to make some Miso glazed fish the other day, but went with Chicken instead because none of the fish was one sale (came out pretty good)

but now im left with nearly an entire thing of Miso - anyone got any different or creative ways I can use this stuff? I think it would be simple enough to add it to some asian style sauces to add some depth, but I dont want to use it just to get rid of it either

ideas?

Here is an old thread

I use miso in pasta sauces, soup, pesto, with rice or beans. Add a tbs of miso with a little salt and half a lemon and you can use it in many things that you would normally associate with parmesan.

miso soup

I love miso soup and would love to know an easy and good recipe to use to make it.

If there are any good recipes out there please help me out.

Cheers

Here's a tasty recipe.

The hon dashi is a dried bonito flake that is used to flavor the broth. The seaweed for the soup is kombi.

Miso Soup

Dashi:
6 C Water
1/2 Pkg Seaweed (kombi)
1 Tb Hon Dashi

Soup:
5 C Dashi
2 Tb Brown Miso Paste
2 Tb White Miso Paste
6 Oz Firm Tofu, ½ inch cubes
2 Scallions, thinly sliced
2 Tb Aji Mirin (sweet rice wine), optional

For the Dashi:
In a saucepan, combine the water and seaweed. Bring it to a simmer, uncovered, over medium heat. Remove the seaweed and discard.

Bring the liquid to a boil, add the hon dashi and immediately remove the pan from the heat. Allow the dashi to sit undisturbed for 2 minutes.

For the Soup:
In a saucepan heat the dashi and whisk in the miso pastes. Bring to a simmer and add the tofu, scallions, and mirin, if used. Remove from the heat and serve immediately.

Use immediately or store, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.

There's no need to get frantic about using up the Miso paste asap. Miso virtually lasts forever in the refrigerator - as in a year or longer. Just make sure the container is properly covered to keep it from drying out.

Like vyapti said, try adding a bit to all kinds of things like soups and sauces, it adds umami.

Most asian stores sell pre-made dry dashi in jars or packages. I generally used that to make quick miso soup.

I have used miso in salad dressings in place of where I usually use mustard to bind the oil and vinegar and it works great and adds a much nicer flavor

I use miso too but I have to sneak it into recipes 'cause DH is picky. I usually buy a tub of it, place tablespoon globs on a sheet of wax paper and freeze the stuff. The next day I dump them into a freezer bag and then can pull it out when I need. I also have started adding it to pot roasts. Adds a good flavor.

Miso is great on grilled pork or chicken. Make a marinade of miso, soy sauce, garlic, green onions, sugar and what ever else you want to add marinade over night. Wipe off most of the marnade and grill.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom