Out of the Norm Eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anni

Senior Cook
Our newest Whole Foods store has a special egg section that includes quail eggs, duck eggs, specialty chicken eggs like Rhode Island Red,etc., and ostrich eggs.

Have you ever prepared any of these eggs? If so, what's your opinion?

I'm fairly new and hoping I'm posting in the right place.

Well, I've used canned cooked quail eggs in Asian stirfries before & like them. Have never cooked them myself though. Duck eggs are "supposed" to be a bit "eggier" tasting than chicken eggs, & are also supposed to be super for baking. Ostrich eggs I've never tried. As far as Rhode Island Red eggs being "special" - they're not - lol! RIR chickens are a common breed, so unless the eggs are free-range/organic or something, I certainly wouldn't pay extra for them.

I think I remember reading that if you use duck eggs for baking you are supposed to use half as many.
I saw Survivorman eat an ostrich egg before. He said it was pretty good, but then he hadn't eaten for several days (lol).
And yes, one chicken egg is the same as the next unless they are fed differently.

Fresh eggs I've eaten...Duck, Guinea, Goose, and Different varities of chicken eggs...
The chicken eggs are as a rule a little milder......

just an fyi - free range doesn't mean much (unless you know the local farmer and his practices), except for the few chickens who get a seat by the door. most that qualify as free range never get to see the poop covered patio, let alone get to run free. it's mostly hype.
organic is a bit better, but still not worth all of the hoopla.

When I moved into this house, I put the old stove out by the road with a sign that said Free Range. It was gone in ten minutes.
:-p

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom