Oven Roasted Potatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stallard

Assistant Cook
I enjoy oven roasted red potatoes, I coat the pieces with olive oil and then shake every spice and pepper in the cabinet onto the individual cubes. I cook on a cookie sheet at 400 for 20 mins then turn each one and cook for another 20 mins.
Problem, the outside is nicely baked but the inside is a little dry. Is the temp too high, or is the time too long? Still very tasty though.

Interesting. This exactly how I cook these as well and they are crisp on the outside and soft on the inside. Sometimes I push the temp to 425 and that also seems to work.

Maybe there is a variation in the potatoes; new, old, or the variety?

My memory may be tainted by my last effort. In that case the potatoes were old, in fact I had to rub off a bunch of 'sprouts'. My next effort will be with brand new potatoes, bought this morning, so I guess I'll just keep doing the same thing one more time. I usually quarter the smaller ones and say double quarter the baseball sized ones.

I buy red potatoes no bigger than a tennis ball and cut them each into eight pieces. After tossing with evoo and spices, I arrange them in a single layer, skin side down, on a foil lined quarter sheet pan. I roast them in a 450ºF preheated oven until the tip of a knife slides in easily and the tops are crisp.

How big are the cubes? Cutting them a bit larger might help.

This is what I thought also.

Experiment with size and find what works for you.

Experimentation is half the fun of cooking. :chef:

The other half of the fun is eating your experiment. :yum:

I buy red potatoes no bigger than a tennis ball and cut them each into eight pieces. After tossing with evoo and spices, I arrange them in a single layer, skin side down, on a foil lined quarter sheet pan. I roast them in a 450ºF preheated oven until the tip of a knife slides in easily and the tops are crisp.

Thats exactly what I do too. I assume Andy also uses salt, which I think is key.

Timing depends but at 450 I start to check at 15 min.

No need for turning.

Thanks everybody. I basically do what everyone else seems to do - it must have been those old,old potatoes. Kosher salt is one of the many things that I sprinkle, including garlic powder, rosemary, thyme, chopped basil, cayenne etc. i like to start with skin down, them flip halfway through to crinkle the skin side. About 40 mins total, which I thought might be the reason they dried out.

Thats exactly what I do too. I assume Andy also uses salt, which I think is key.

Timing depends but at 450 I start to check at 15 min.

No need for turning.

Yeah, salt and pepper too. Time depends on temperature AND the size of the potato pieces.

I have started microwaving my potatoes first. I cut them like I want them, then I put them in a glass bowl covered in plastic wrap. Then, I nuke them on high for about 4 minutes. Using oven mitts I unwrap the bowl and drain the accumulated condensation. I add salt and then toss the potatoes to distribute it evenly. I add a generous amount of olive oil to a pan and place it in the 425 degree pre-heated oven. After about 2 minutes, I take it out and carefully slide the hot potatoes in the hot oil. Lay them out flat and return it to the oven. After about 15 minutes I take them out, and stir them over as required. They are done in no time. Drain on paper towel in the same glass bowl and add more salt if necessary. Serve...

When in grad school, one of my best pals was a gal from Greece (we have stayed in touch all these years). She made what I call Kat's Greek Oven Potatoes.

Ingredients

6-8 medium potatoes, peeled and cut in half (although I have taken fresh potatoes from the garden and scrubbed them--no peeling necessary)
1 c water (more or less)
1/2 olive oil (the best was that from her family's olive orchard--I like to use a high quality green olive oil when I can-reminds me of the oil Kat would smuggle back for me)
2-3 T fresh Greek oregano or fresh rosemary
minced garlic, to taste
S&P (I like to use sea salt and freshly ground pepper)

Directions:

1. Place potatoes in a baking dish (I use a 13 x 2 " pyrex dish).
2. Pour water and olive over potatoes (2/3 depth of pan).
3. Sprinkle generously with herb of choice, garlic, S&P.
4. Bake at 350 for 1-1/2 hours (add more liquid if needed).

These are so very good.

Last edited:
With our roast potatoes, we par boil them for about 3 minutes

We then scrape the outside of the potatoes to give them a roughed up texture and then roast them in oil...they always come out so crispy on the outside and sift and fluffy on the inside :)

oven roasted potatoes

These almost dry roasted, small pieces of potatoes are a new thing for me and I love them as a snack. I grew up with mom making REAL roasted potatoes.
Peel, halve longways and par boil, pour about a 1/4" of oil (she used lard) into a full size roasting tin, season the the potatoes and place the them flat side down in the pan. Cook at about 350 for god knows how long, with almost continuos basting. The skin became crusty and chewy and the insides like cream - a potatoe cannoli ??? Served With roast beef, cabbage, sprouts, a little mash, Yorkshire Pudding and almost black gravy. Sunday lunch. Have never been able to replicate, so I went the easy route, not bad fo a man though ????.

Problem solved, it was the age of the potatoes. I really meant to save some for my wife, but these things are addictive.

When in grad school, one of my best pals was a gal from Greece (we have stayed in touch all these years). She made what I call Kat's Greek Oven Potatoes.

Ingredients

6-8 medium potatoes, peeled and cut in half (although I have taken fresh potatoes from the garden and scrubbed them--no peeling necessary)
1 c water (more or less)
1/2 olive oil (the best was that from her family's olive orchard--I like to use a high quality green olive oil when I can-reminds me of the oil Kat would smuggle back for me)
minced garlic, to taste

Directions:

These are so very good.
So that's how they make those fabulous potatoes in Greek restos.

After oiling and spicing I put the cut potatoes in a roasting pan[ or hotel pan] and cover tightly with foil.They will steam cook. The last 20 minutes I take foil off and continue in the oven until done. Juicy on the inside crispy on the outside. For potatoes O'Brian add cut up green pepper and onion in the beginning. A little dry onion soup mix makes a nice change also. Mysterychef

Last edited:

This sounds about like I do it. :chef:

Sounds lovely CWS :yum:

Ingredients

1 c water (more or less)
minced garlic, to taste

Directions:

These are so very good.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom