"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-31-2013, 12:34 PM   #11
Executive Chef

[QUOTE=Mad Cook;1315221]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Just my 2.

Use fresh garlic next time and you cannot over do it. I can see easily overpowering any dish with garlic powder, but never with fresh or roasted garlic.

QUOTE]Just so, Bones.I was about to post the same thing.

Garlic powder can be really nasty whereas fresh garlic may be strong when overdone but it doesn't have that acrid, burned sort of effect that the powder has. If you don't live near a shop selling fresh garlic it's very easy to grow in the garden or in a pot or window box.
Yea, I am nuts for garlic and can never have to much. Like that chicken dish I used to hear about. It was ## garlic toes for one roasted chicken? It sounded like to many, but now I think its just fine.

Fresh garlic is a staple in our area and everywhere I have been in the US. I can find it even in the most crappy supermarkets.

One thing i do not like is the minced garlic in the jars. It is not the same. No matter how much people say it is, it aint!

ps........I said "aint" on purpose!

Old 10-31-2013, 12:47 PM   #12
Executive Chef

[QUOTE=Roll_Bones;1315432]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post

Yea, I am nuts for garlic and can never have to much. Like that chicken dish I used to hear about. It was ## garlic toes for one roasted chicken? It sounded like to many, but now I think its just fine.
chicken with 40 cloves of garlic!!the roasted chicken version is good,fair enough,but,for the real garlic hit:joint your chicken & put it in a pot with 40(or more)cloves of garlic,chopped parsley,chopped celery stick,loads of ground black pepper,salt to taste & then pour in a few big glugs of evoo,mix it all up with your hands so everything is coated with everything else,seal the pot with foil,put the lid back on,in the oven for an hour or so...done!!.when you peel back the foil the smell is mind blowing,the chicken is outrageous & you mash the garlic cloves onto crusty bread to eat with the chickennow that's what you call chicken with garlic imho!!
ps forgot to mention i skin the chicken joints first so that the garlic really gets into the meat.sealing the pot with foil turns the pot into a kinda pressure cooker so watch your hands & face when you peel back the foil!!!

Old 10-31-2013, 12:56 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Give it back to the earth and start again. If you have a compost bin/heap it won't be wasted..just recycled.

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:39 AM   #14
Head Chef

I agree with the general sentiment - fresh garlic is your friend. I use nothing but fresh except for a couple of BBQ rubs.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:20 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Just my 2.

Use fresh garlic next time and you cannot over do it. I can see easily overpowering any dish with garlic powder, but never with fresh or roasted garlic. Of course I love garlic very much!

What is "raw garlic powder"?
It is dried garlic that has been reduced to a fine powder. Because the moisture has been removed, the garlic is VERY strong. It is usually sold in a jar and when you remove the cap, there is a plastic cover with holes that are rather large. So if you shake it on your food, all you end up tasting is the garlic. I keep it on hand for some dishes, and remove the plastic cover. That way I am not tempted to pour it into a dish, but to measure it out with a measuring spoon. Unless you are preparing a rub, or cooking a lot of food for a large crowd, no more than one teaspoon in any dish is more than adequate.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:52 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
It is dried garlic that has been reduced to a fine powder. Because the moisture has been removed, the garlic is VERY strong. It is usually sold in a jar and when you remove the cap, there is a plastic cover with holes that are rather large. So if you shake it on your food, all you end up tasting is the garlic. I keep it on hand for some dishes, and remove the plastic cover. That way I am not tempted to pour it into a dish, but to measure it out with a measuring spoon. Unless you are preparing a rub, or cooking a lot of food for a large crowd, no more than one teaspoon in any dish is more than adequate.
So its just plain old garlic powder.
I keep some on hand and use it quite often. It is strong.
I will use it on meats as the seasoning along with all the other culprits hanging around in my fridge.

Since some my spices come in rather large containers, I keep them refrigerated.
Spices at Costco are a good value, but they do come in larger containers.

Tags
butter, garlic