"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-30-2013, 10:04 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Over-garlicked scalloped butternut squash gratin

So, the day before yesterday, I made some scalloped butternut squash gratin, flavored with Parmagiano-Reggiano, thyme, garlic, onion, and a dash of nutmeg. I used raw garlic powder and way too much of it, which lead to a dish that didn't taste like butternut squash, cheese, thyme, garlic, or nutmeg - it tasted like one big platter of garlic. Not unbearable per se, but the garlic flavor was a bit overwhelming.

I decided to leave it in the oven a little longer (since garlic is much milder when fully cooked) and save it in the refrigerator for another day (thinking the refrigeration might cut the bite a little).

That day has come and I've been considering other ways to further mellow the flavor of the garlic. Maybe adding a cup or two of cream/milk (to the already cooked gratin) would make the garlic less overwhelming (it's for myself, so I don't care how the dish looks)? I would like to figure out a way to salvage this dish, because I hate throwing out food, especially when that food took a lot of effort to prepare (if I doused a baked potato with mounds of garlic powder, I'd just throw it out - but after spending literally an hour slicing squash without even using a mandoline, sauteeing onions, chopping fresh thyme leaves, etc. I hate to just throw out a completed dish).

Old 10-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Dilution is probably your best bet. Mash a couple of potatoes and mix that in along with some dairy. That should lessen the garlic some.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:12 AM   #3
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Welcome to DC.

I don't know of anyway to get the garlic out. You could reduce the overall percentage of garlic by adding more of something to the dish. In this case, it might make a great stuffing.

Stuffed chicken breast
Stuffed potato skins (mix the squash with the potato before stuffing)
Mix in with beef for a meatloaf

Old 10-30-2013, 10:16 AM   #4
Sous Chef

Can you turn it into a soup? I've never made butternut squash soup, so don't have a recipe for you but have enjoyed other people's recipes. I'm sure there a lots of butternut squash recipes around that probably include adding broth or water which should dilute some that garlic. You might have to whirl it in a blender. You might end up inventing something wonderful. The other day I used up a small portion of left over scalloped potatoes by adding the leftovers to broccoli soup. It turned out great.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:57 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Dilution is probably your best bet. Mash a couple of potatoes and mix that in along with some dairy. That should lessen the garlic some.
The issue is, even with dilution, it's still going to be a subpar dish. It's never going to be just as good as a reasonably seasoned dish. And I'm okay with that, for the quantity I made (3 layers in a 4.8 quart baking dish). However, I don't really want to add more of the same to it - if I'm going to do that, I feel like I may as well just make a whole new dish. I'd rather find some way to mellow the flavor without adding a lot more food to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty_caliber View Post
Welcome to DC.

I don't know of anyway to get the garlic out. You could reduce the overall percentage of garlic by adding more of something to the dish. In this case, it might make a great stuffing.

Stuffed chicken breast
Stuffed potato skins (mix the squash with the potato before stuffing)
Mix in with beef for a meatloaf

Thanks for the welcome. I like your idea of using it as a stuffing, though it doesn't fit in that well with my current meal plans. I'll definitely keep it in mind though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldvine View Post
Can you turn it into a soup? I've never made butternut squash soup, so don't have a recipe for you but have enjoyed other people's recipes. I'm sure there a lots of butternut squash recipes around that probably include adding broth or water which should dilute some that garlic. You might have to whirl it in a blender. You might end up inventing something wonderful. The other day I used up a small portion of left over scalloped potatoes by adding the leftovers to broccoli soup. It turned out great.
That probably would work, but I'd prefer to only turn to that as a last resort.

Thanks for the ideas everyone. As of right now I think I'm going to add some more dairy (to both mellow the flavor and keep it from drying out) and recook it longer than normal.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:19 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Just my 2.

Use fresh garlic next time and you cannot over do it. I can see easily overpowering any dish with garlic powder, but never with fresh or roasted garlic. Of course I love garlic very much!

What is "raw garlic powder"?
Old 10-30-2013, 12:24 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
+1 andy.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Just my 2.

Use fresh garlic next time and you cannot over do it. I can see easily overpowering any dish with garlic powder, but never with fresh or roasted garlic. Of course I love garlic very much!

What is "raw garlic powder"?
with you on that rb,but i guess that doesn't help with the current dilemma.i only use dried anything in dry rubs or occasionally in meat balls etc if i'm trying to keep the moisture content down.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:18 PM   #9
Master Chef

Yes. What is "raw garlic powder?"

Raw and powder don't mix.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:04 PM   #10
Executive Chef

[QUOTE=Roll_Bones;1315117]Just my 2.

Use fresh garlic next time and you cannot over do it. I can see easily overpowering any dish with garlic powder, but never with fresh or roasted garlic.

QUOTE]Just so, Bones.I was about to post the same thing.

Garlic powder can be really nasty whereas fresh garlic may be strong when overdone but it doesn't have that acrid, burned sort of effect that the powder has. If you don't live near a shop selling fresh garlic it's very easy to grow in the garden or in a pot or window box.

Tags
butter, garlic