Over-garlicked scalloped butternut squash gratin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

watts

Assistant Cook
So, the day before yesterday, I made some scalloped butternut squash gratin, flavored with Parmagiano-Reggiano, thyme, garlic, onion, and a dash of nutmeg. I used raw garlic powder and way too much of it, which lead to a dish that didn't taste like butternut squash, cheese, thyme, garlic, or nutmeg - it tasted like one big platter of garlic. Not unbearable per se, but the garlic flavor was a bit overwhelming.

I decided to leave it in the oven a little longer (since garlic is much milder when fully cooked) and save it in the refrigerator for another day (thinking the refrigeration might cut the bite a little).

That day has come and I've been considering other ways to further mellow the flavor of the garlic. Maybe adding a cup or two of cream/milk (to the already cooked gratin) would make the garlic less overwhelming (it's for myself, so I don't care how the dish looks)? I would like to figure out a way to salvage this dish, because I hate throwing out food, especially when that food took a lot of effort to prepare (if I doused a baked potato with mounds of garlic powder, I'd just throw it out - but after spending literally an hour slicing squash without even using a mandoline, sauteeing onions, chopping fresh thyme leaves, etc. I hate to just throw out a completed dish).

Last edited:
Dilution is probably your best bet. Mash a couple of potatoes and mix that in along with some dairy. That should lessen the garlic some.

Welcome to DC.

I don't know of anyway to get the garlic out. You could reduce the overall percentage of garlic by adding more of something to the dish. In this case, it might make a great stuffing.

Stuffed chicken breast
Stuffed potato skins (mix the squash with the potato before stuffing)
Mix in with beef for a meatloaf

Can you turn it into a soup? I've never made butternut squash soup, so don't have a recipe for you but have enjoyed other people's recipes. I'm sure there a lots of butternut squash recipes around that probably include adding broth or water which should dilute some that garlic. You might have to whirl it in a blender. You might end up inventing something wonderful. The other day I used up a small portion of left over scalloped potatoes by adding the leftovers to broccoli soup. It turned out great.

Dilution is probably your best bet. Mash a couple of potatoes and mix that in along with some dairy. That should lessen the garlic some.

The issue is, even with dilution, it's still going to be a subpar dish. It's never going to be just as good as a reasonably seasoned dish. And I'm okay with that, for the quantity I made (3 layers in a 4.8 quart baking dish). However, I don't really want to add more of the same to it - if I'm going to do that, I feel like I may as well just make a whole new dish. I'd rather find some way to mellow the flavor without adding a lot more food to it.

Welcome to DC.

I don't know of anyway to get the garlic out. You could reduce the overall percentage of garlic by adding more of something to the dish. In this case, it might make a great stuffing.

Stuffed chicken breast
Stuffed potato skins (mix the squash with the potato before stuffing)
Mix in with beef for a meatloaf

Thanks for the welcome. I like your idea of using it as a stuffing, though it doesn't fit in that well with my current meal plans. I'll definitely keep it in mind though.
Can you turn it into a soup? I've never made butternut squash soup, so don't have a recipe for you but have enjoyed other people's recipes. I'm sure there a lots of butternut squash recipes around that probably include adding broth or water which should dilute some that garlic. You might have to whirl it in a blender. You might end up inventing something wonderful. The other day I used up a small portion of left over scalloped potatoes by adding the leftovers to broccoli soup. It turned out great.

That probably would work, but I'd prefer to only turn to that as a last resort.

Thanks for the ideas everyone. As of right now I think I'm going to add some more dairy (to both mellow the flavor and keep it from drying out) and recook it longer than normal.

Just my 2¢.

Use fresh garlic next time and you cannot over do it. I can see easily overpowering any dish with garlic powder, but never with fresh or roasted garlic. Of course I love garlic very much!

What is "raw garlic powder"?

Just my 2¢.

Use fresh garlic next time and you cannot over do it. I can see easily overpowering any dish with garlic powder, but never with fresh or roasted garlic. Of course I love garlic very much!

with you on that rb,but i guess that doesn't help with the current dilemma.i only use dried anything in dry rubs or occasionally in meat balls etc if i'm trying to keep the moisture content down.

Just my 2¢.

Use fresh garlic next time and you cannot over do it. I can see easily overpowering any dish with garlic powder, but never with fresh or roasted garlic.

QUOTE]Just so, Bones.I was about to post the same thing.

Garlic powder can be really nasty whereas fresh garlic may be strong when overdone but it doesn't have that acrid, burned sort of effect that the powder has. If you don't live near a shop selling fresh garlic it's very easy to grow in the garden or in a pot or window box.

Just my 2¢.

Use fresh garlic next time and you cannot over do it. I can see easily overpowering any dish with garlic powder, but never with fresh or roasted garlic.

QUOTE]Just so, Bones.I was about to post the same thing.

Garlic powder can be really nasty whereas fresh garlic may be strong when overdone but it doesn't have that acrid, burned sort of effect that the powder has. If you don't live near a shop selling fresh garlic it's very easy to grow in the garden or in a pot or window box.

Yea, I am nuts for garlic and can never have to much. Like that chicken dish I used to hear about. It was ## garlic toes for one roasted chicken? It sounded like to many, but now I think its just fine.

Fresh garlic is a staple in our area and everywhere I have been in the US. I can find it even in the most crappy supermarkets.

One thing i do not like is the minced garlic in the jars. It is not the same. No matter how much people say it is, it aint!

ps........I said "aint" on purpose!

Last edited:
Yea, I am nuts for garlic and can never have to much. Like that chicken dish I used to hear about. It was ## garlic toes for one roasted chicken? It sounded like to many, but now I think its just fine.
chicken with 40 cloves of garlic:yum:!!the roasted chicken version is good,fair enough,but,for the real garlic hit:joint your chicken & put it in a pot with 40(or more)cloves of garlic,chopped parsley,chopped celery stick,loads of ground black pepper,salt to taste & then pour in a few big glugs of evoo,mix it all up with your hands so everything is coated with everything else,seal the pot with foil,put the lid back on,in the oven for an hour or so...done!!.when you peel back the foil the smell is mind blowing,the chicken is outrageous & you mash the garlic cloves onto crusty bread to eat with the chicken:yum:now that's what you call chicken with garlic imho!!
ps forgot to mention i skin the chicken joints first so that the garlic really gets into the meat.sealing the pot with foil turns the pot into a kinda pressure cooker so watch your hands & face when you peel back the foil!!!

Last edited:
Just my 2¢.

It is dried garlic that has been reduced to a fine powder. Because the moisture has been removed, the garlic is VERY strong. It is usually sold in a jar and when you remove the cap, there is a plastic cover with holes that are rather large. So if you shake it on your food, all you end up tasting is the garlic. I keep it on hand for some dishes, and remove the plastic cover. That way I am not tempted to pour it into a dish, but to measure it out with a measuring spoon. Unless you are preparing a rub, or cooking a lot of food for a large crowd, no more than one teaspoon in any dish is more than adequate. :angel:

It is dried garlic that has been reduced to a fine powder. Because the moisture has been removed, the garlic is VERY strong. It is usually sold in a jar and when you remove the cap, there is a plastic cover with holes that are rather large. So if you shake it on your food, all you end up tasting is the garlic. I keep it on hand for some dishes, and remove the plastic cover. That way I am not tempted to pour it into a dish, but to measure it out with a measuring spoon. Unless you are preparing a rub, or cooking a lot of food for a large crowd, no more than one teaspoon in any dish is more than adequate. :angel:

So its just plain old garlic powder.
I keep some on hand and use it quite often. It is strong.
I will use it on meats as the seasoning along with all the other culprits hanging around in my fridge.

Since some my spices come in rather large containers, I keep them refrigerated.
Spices at Costco are a good value, but they do come in larger containers.

Back
Top Bottom