"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-19-2012, 02:56 PM   #31
Executive Chef

I could just imagine ... Hilarious anecdotes ... enjoying.
Margaux.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:35 PM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegal View Post
Do I need to soak beans if I am cooking them overnight in a cholent? Thanks in advance!
Depends on beans, depends on how hot the cholent is. I like to use ready made beans, or at least soak them for a little bit in hot water. Problem with uncooked beans they soak up a lot of water and then the cholent comes out dry, sometimes too dry. Problem with cholent is that you do not want tooo watery either, it has to be some wha on the dry side. If you ask me, soak them, or use canned beans. ANd if you add barelly, pre-cook it too. I gurantee you'll like the end result.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:38 PM   #33
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegal View Post
I am sorry. I just gotta ask "outhouse?"
You must be really yong if you do not know what Outhouse is.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:38 PM   #34
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh View Post
Contrary to popular belief, it is not necessary to soak them before cooking them.

90-minute No-Soak Beans. It works perfectly every time with every type of bean imaginable. I have been doing it this way for a couple years. No more soaking for me!
I tried this again today using a higher oven temp (300 instead of 250). And once again it produced 1/2 to 3/4 cooked beans. I am sure that I could get the same results by simmering on the stove top for the same time. I will go back to my old method of cooking beans.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:50 PM   #35
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I always cook up twice the beans I need, the other half goes in the freezer for a future meal in almost no time. I have plenty of time on the weekends to soak and slow cook my beans. I never salt them until the beans are done.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:47 PM   #36
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplantop View Post
I tried this again today using a higher oven temp (300 instead of 250). And once again it produced 1/2 to 3/4 cooked beans. I am sure that I could get the same results by simmering on the stove top for the same time. I will go back to my old method of cooking beans.
Maybe your beans are old? Mine come out of a bulk bin which has a high turn-around rate. Also, did you bring them to a boil on the stove-top before putting them into the oven?

Sorry it doesn't work like you except. It works like a charm for me!

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:04 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't understand what is so hard about soaking beans over night. Put dry beans in large bowl, cover with water, drain water the next day. Unless all the beans are actually stones, you are guaranteed 100% success. This is not rocket science.

Sorry if I sound sarcastic.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #38
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh View Post
Contrary to popular belief, it is not necessary to soak them before cooking them.

90-minute No-Soak Beans. It works perfectly every time with every type of bean imaginable. I have been doing it this way for a couple years. No more soaking for me!
I really like this idea if I can get it to work for me because I tend to be a impulse cook, I get a craving for beans and want it that day. :) (I have done the quick soak as well!)
Old 03-19-2012, 07:20 PM   #39
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I don't understand what is so hard about soaking beans over night. Put dry beans in large bowl, cover with water, drain water the next day. Unless all the beans are actually stones, you are guaranteed 100% success. This is not rocket science.

Unless you are like me and can't decide that you want beans the night before! Maybe it was more like, I'm home from work, I'm tired, make dinner, gotta pack lunches, get homework, bathes done.. get clothes ready for work/ school tomorrow, want beans tomorrow, gotta soak them, ugh, forget it.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:22 PM   #40
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

It's not about it being hard, it's about it being a totally unnecessary step.

And soaking does not "guarantee" success. You can't out-soak or out-cook an old bean.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooking, beans