Overnight Cooking: soaking beans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Siegal

Sous Chef
Do I need to soak beans if I am cooking them overnight in a cholent? Thanks in advance!

Do I need to soak beans if I am cooking them overnight in a cholent? Thanks in advance!

I always soak beans. No matter what kind they are. They cook through more easily. Without soaking, you run the risk fo having a hard center that is not even quite al dente. And don't put salt in them until the last. It toughens the beans. You should be able to blow on a bean and have the skin burst. Then you can add the salt. :)

Dry bean packages offer an alternative to overnight soaking. Put the beans in water and bring to a boil. Boil for two minutes and let them sit for two hours. I've done it both ways and see no difference.

Contrary to popular belief, it is not necessary to soak them before cooking them.

90-minute No-Soak Beans. It works perfectly every time with every type of bean imaginable. I have been doing it this way for a couple years. No more soaking for me!

I do the 2 minute boil, 2 hour soak method. But sometimes I just want to soak them overnight. All I care about is the final product and the time I have to do things. Love beans and will do whatever it takes to get them ready to eat!

Supposedly, soaking the beans loosens the skins which allows the the gas causing agent (oligosaccherides) to be released. I've done both, but find chick peas are better if soaked overnight.

I followed the middle ground everyone suggested and put them in boiling water and they sat for 90 min. I now have a gigantic cholent in the oven ( for those who have made cholent they somehow just get so full of stuff!) yay Shabbat lunch tm! Maybe will make a challah to go with it

Supposedly, soaking the beans loosens the skins which allows the the gas causing agent (oligosaccherides) to be released. I've done both, but find chick peas are better if soaked overnight.

Shrek tells me this does not work...:angel:

Nah, it doesn't, but that cooking them with a bit of cilantro helps with the musical part of the fruit.

Chickpeas/garbanzos are probably better after an overnight-er because they are just BIG beans.

Contrary to popular belief, it is not necessary to soak them before cooking them.

90-minute No-Soak Beans. It works perfectly every time with every type of bean imaginable. I have been doing it this way for a couple years. No more soaking for me!

I did some looking at this method. And I like the idea of it. But my first attempt at 250 only about 1/2 cooked the beans. I will try again at a higher temp and see what that does.

Good Morning,

I always use the traditional method of soaking beans overnight to insure their tenderness. I would never think of not doing so. At moment, this is what I can think tank of !

Interesting post Princess Fiona, and have lovely Sunday.

Margi.

Good Morning,

I caught the tail end of a need to clarify 3 Latin American products, so I posted this.

Epazote Herb: often considered a nuisance in gardens, it is often called Skunk Weed, and its serrated leaves give off an aroma, similar to mint combined with petrol. However, they bring a delicious savoriness to beans and corn truffle or corn mushroom called Huitlacoche in Mexico.

Culantro: also known as recao and long coriander, this is also confused with Cilantro ! This is the green paste that is used in numerous Puerto Rican dishes and Sofritos.

Cilantro: Mexican Parsley herb, from the coriander and used in numerous dishes throughout South America, Morocco, Tunisia, Mid East and Mexico, Caribe and Central America. Most commonly used in Guacamole.

Have a lovely Sunday.
Margi.

Last edited:
Good Morning,

It is a tradition in the Mediterranean and the Latin American part of the world, that after beans or legumes have soaked in salted water overnight that they are rinsed quite thoroughly before any cooking process begins. It is the standard method of preparing the beans for the dish.

Have a nice Sunday.
Margi.

Good Morning,

I caught the tail end of a need to clarify 3 Latin American products, so I posted this.

Epazote Herb: often considered a nuisance in gardens, it is often called Skunk Weed, and its serrated leaves give off an aroma, similar to mint combined with petrol. However, they bring a delicious savoriness to beans and corn truffle or corn mushroom called Huitlacoche in Mexico.

Culantro: also known as recao and long coriander, this is also confused with Cilantro ! This is the green paste that is used in numerous Puerto Rican dishes and Sofritos.

Cilantro: Mexican Parsley herb, from the coriander and used in numerous dishes throughout South America, Morocco, Tunisia, Mid East and Mexico, Caribe and Central America. Most commonly used in Guacamole.

Have a lovely Sunday.
Margi.

Cilantro is also used in a lot of Asian and Southeast Asian dishes.

Back
Top Bottom