Ox tail, what to do with it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

binny

Assistant Cook
Hey, im wondering whats the best sides (sauces, vegetables etc) are for oxtail and whats the best way in cooking method for them.

Oxtail makes wonderful soup or stew. No side for the soup needed, actually same with the stew. All the would be sides will be the part of the dish.

My only experience with oxtail is with a Pilipino stew called Kare-Kare:

Ingredients:
  • 3 lb Oxtails
  • 6 cups water
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 3 Tbs cooking oil
  • 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 lb long beans or green beans, trimmed
  • 3 Japanese eggplant, diced
  • 1/2 cup natural peanut butter

Put the oxtail, water and salt to a large pot and place over high heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until the oxtail are tender. Skim any scum that rises to the surface. Remove the oxtail to a plate and reserve the stock.

Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Pat the oxtail dry and brown them on all sides in the oil. Remove the oxtail and add the sliced onion and garlic. Sauté until the onion is wilted. Add the browned oxtail and stock, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the green beans and eggplant and simmer for another 15 to 20 minutes.

In a bowl, mix together the peanut butter and 1 cup of the stew liquid until smooth and then stir it into the stew. Simmer for another 10 minutes or so until the stew has thickened and adjust seasoning.

Here is my Oxtail Stew Recipe.

2.5 pounds of oxtail
1 punnet of button mushrooms sliced
10 ounces of baby carrots
2 large onions sliced
2 medium potatoes cut into 6.
1 packet of Royco Oxtail soup powder or beef stock if prefered. The soup powder thickens the stew so it works better.
Black pepper and salt to taste
2 bay leaves
about 5 cloves

Fry onions till golden, add oxtail and brown slightly. Mix soup powder with one cup of cold water and add to oxtail and onions. Cover with boiling water stirring as you do. Add bay leaves and cloves. Place in a 350f oven with the lid on for 1 hour. Now add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Cook for 2 hours more checking every 30 mins or so. Top with water if it becomes too dry.

Serve with samp or rice.

I sometimes add 2 tsps of curry if I want it spicy.

I agree with Charlie. The oxtail soup I make certainly requires no sides at all! It's wonderfully flavorful and decadently rich.

Check out post 16 in the thread on oxtail soup in the "soups" forum. My recipe is there.

I have some oxtails in the freezer and it it wasn't 100F in the shade I'd make a pot of it in a minute.

Oxtails can be a very rich protein. I would braise them and serve them with a lovely salad of mixed greens, perhaps with some citrus too.

Oxtails can be a very rich protein. I would braise them and serve them with a lovely salad of mixed greens, perhaps with some citrus too.
Joe mate I add dried strips of orange and lemon zest to my braise and if I cook it for a dinner party I do it 24 hrs before, remove the tubes of meat, then using blanched strips of leek tie the meat into bundles of 4 sit on a little mound of horse radish mash and pour the gravy around.

Isn't Osso Buco the classic oxtail stew recipe? Wait, no, that's made with veal shanks. But I bet oxtails would work as well, since braising is the cooking method, and both cuts are flavorful and fairly tough.

There are a bunch of Osso Buco recipes on teh web. Simply do a quick google search.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

The beauty of a stew, any stew, is that you can pretty much do anything you want and put in anything you want. And to top it off, after all said and done, you can call it what you want it too. Your Stew could be you claim to fame.

Joe mate I add dried strips of orange and lemon zest to my braise and if I cook it for a dinner party I do it 24 hrs before, remove the tubes of meat, then using blanched strips of leek tie the meat into bundles of 4 sit on a little mound of horse radish mash and pour the gravy around.
Bolas, that sounds absolutely wonderful, but since I wouldn't want to mislead anyone with my opinion I really should try it in person. When will I be expected for dinner?:LOL:

Fly to Manchester International and I will pick you up.
The funny thing is I first did this in the house near Miami and it was in response to a very fine meal cooked by friends of my best friend.
The wife was a Greek who upset my mate by saying that she would never cook greek food for a formal dinner party as it look vulgar on the plate, she had tied the veg in bundles so I cooked Oxtail stifado and sat the bundles on layers of fried aubergines that I cut into circles.I did small spanakopita purses dusted with dried mushroom powder to start and small loukoumades split and stuffed with cream that I formed into a little pyramid and drizzled with lemon scented honey.:)

My only experience with oxtail is with a Filipino stew called Kare-Kare:

Ingredients:
  • 3 Japanese eggplant, diced
I've saved this recipe to my "MasterCook" database, but I'm unsure of how much eggplant by weight to add to the recipe. The eggplant available to me are the large purple eggplant that are about 8-12 inches long and as much as 4-6 inches wide. What method would be best for using this type of eggplant and how much by weight would be appropriate?

Thanks! It sounds absolutely delicious!

The Oxtail, sectioned, fresh from the Butcher

img_1036445_0_1ace9cd1aaa7207265ffc742adfeb763.jpg

...............Skillet-seared, ready for the stew pot

img_1036445_1_03b3f275d1202207e5658615d60bf83a.jpg

Swimming in the Stew Pot

img_1036445_2_a7b1de6c428071a6bad6f0ec9f8a4fc4.jpg

Stew, Table-Ready

img_1036445_3_a30accd2a3d219aeec958226e5640561.jpg

Dinner is Served !

img_1036445_4_496007ded5b7c22dc63d6443d04bc91d.jpg

Oxtail Stew Over Buttered Noodles

Ingredients
5 pounds meaty oxtails
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 carrots, cut into half moons, about 1/4-inch thick
2 stalks celery, cut into 1/4-inch thick pieces
3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
4 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 (750 ml) bottle dry red wine
2 cups beef broth
1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juice
2 bay leaves
8 ounces button mushrooms
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
Buttered Noodles, recipe follows, for serving
Directions
Wash and dry the oxtails. Add the meat to a large bowl and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Toss the meat in the flour until lightly coated.
Add the olive oil to a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Brown the oxtails on all sides, in batches, until well browned. Transfer the meat to a plate and pour off some of the drippings, if necessary.
Add the onions, carrots, celery, thyme, and garlic to the pot and saute until the onions are tender and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in the tomato paste and toast. Deglaze the pot with the bottle of red wine and stir up all the browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Stir in the beef broth, tomatoes with their juices and the bay leaves.
Add the browned beef back into the pot along with any accumulated juices that may have collected on the plate. Bring the stew to a boil, then reduce the heat to a low simmer. Cover and cook until the beef is tender and falling off the bone, about 3 1/2 hours.
Stir in the mushrooms and cook uncovered, for 30 minutes more. Taste for seasoning. Add salt and pepper, if needed, and stir in the red wine vinegar to brighten the flavor. Remove the meat from the pot and pull the meat off the bones, then add back to the pot. Discard the bones. Transfer the stew to a serving dish and serve hot over Buttered Noodles.
Buttered Noodles:
1 (12-ounce) package wide egg noodles
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
1 small shallot, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, finely diced
2 tablespoons minced chives
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Cook the noodles in a large pot of boiling salted water over medium heat, according to the package directions. Drain in a colander and set aside.
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the shallot and garlic and saute until tender. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons butter and melt. Stir in the chives, Parmesan and lemon.
Add the noodles to the skillet and toss to combine. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve.

Last edited:
The Oxtail, sectioned, fresh from the Butcher

...............Skillet-seared, ready for the stew pot

Swimming in the Stew Pot

Stew, Table-Ready

Dinner is Served !

Oxtail Stew Over Buttered Noodles

Ingredients
5 pounds meaty oxtails
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 carrots, cut into half moons, about 1/4-inch thick
2 stalks celery, cut into 1/4-inch thick pieces
3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
4 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 (750 ml) bottle dry red wine
2 cups beef broth
1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juice
2 bay leaves
8 ounces button mushrooms
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
Buttered Noodles, recipe follows, for serving
Directions
Wash and dry the oxtails. Add the meat to a large bowl and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Toss the meat in the flour until lightly coated.
Add the olive oil to a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Brown the oxtails on all sides, in batches, until well browned. Transfer the meat to a plate and pour off some of the drippings, if necessary.
Add the onions, carrots, celery, thyme, and garlic to the pot and saute until the onions are tender and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in the tomato paste and toast. Deglaze the pot with the bottle of red wine and stir up all the browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Stir in the beef broth, tomatoes with their juices and the bay leaves.
Add the browned beef back into the pot along with any accumulated juices that may have collected on the plate. Bring the stew to a boil, then reduce the heat to a low simmer. Cover and cook until the beef is tender and falling off the bone, about 3 1/2 hours.
Stir in the mushrooms and cook uncovered, for 30 minutes more. Taste for seasoning. Add salt and pepper, if needed, and stir in the red wine vinegar to brighten the flavor. Remove the meat from the pot and pull the meat off the bones, then add back to the pot. Discard the bones. Transfer the stew to a serving dish and serve hot over Buttered Noodles.
Buttered Noodles:
1 (12-ounce) package wide egg noodles
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
1 small shallot, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, finely diced
2 tablespoons minced chives
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Cook the noodles in a large pot of boiling salted water over medium heat, according to the package directions. Drain in a colander and set aside.
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the shallot and garlic and saute until tender. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons butter and melt. Stir in the chives, Parmesan and lemon.
Add the noodles to the skillet and toss to combine. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve.

I am officially starving and want this NOW! I love oxtails!

I am officially starving and want this NOW! I love oxtails!

Me too! It's crazy how the price of them has gone up over the years! It used to be a "Poor Mans" meat, almost given away and now it's $6-$10 a pound for them!

Same thing with beans. OMG, when I was a kid, you'd need a truck to carry off $5 of beans. Now a child can carry $5 worth of beans in one hand!

And don't even get me started on chicken wings, backs and neck bones!

We all have to start acting like we hate them....:ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom