"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 08-10-2011, 10:47 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
Ox tail, what to do with it?

Hey, im wondering whats the best sides (sauces, vegetables etc) are for oxtail and whats the best way in cooking method for them.

binny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:09 PM   #2
Master Chef
Oxtail makes wonderful soup or stew. No side for the soup needed, actually same with the stew. All the would be sides will be the part of the dish.

You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:26 PM   #3
Executive Chef
My only experience with oxtail is with a Pilipino stew called Kare-Kare:

• 3 lb Oxtails
  • 6 cups water
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 3 Tbs cooking oil
  • 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 lb long beans or green beans, trimmed
  • 3 Japanese eggplant, diced
  • 1/2 cup natural peanut butter

Put the oxtail, water and salt to a large pot and place over high heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until the oxtail are tender. Skim any scum that rises to the surface. Remove the oxtail to a plate and reserve the stock.

Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Pat the oxtail dry and brown them on all sides in the oil. Remove the oxtail and add the sliced onion and garlic. Sauté until the onion is wilted. Add the browned oxtail and stock, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the green beans and eggplant and simmer for another 15 to 20 minutes.

In a bowl, mix together the peanut butter and 1 cup of the stew liquid until smooth and then stir it into the stew. Simmer for another 10 minutes or so until the stew has thickened and adjust seasoning.
Life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party - Jimmy Buffett
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:53 PM   #4
Master Chef
Here is my Oxtail Stew Recipe.

2.5 pounds of oxtail
1 punnet of button mushrooms sliced
10 ounces of baby carrots
2 large onions sliced
2 medium potatoes cut into 6.
1 packet of Royco Oxtail soup powder or beef stock if prefered. The soup powder thickens the stew so it works better.
Black pepper and salt to taste
2 bay leaves
about 5 cloves

Fry onions till golden, add oxtail and brown slightly. Mix soup powder with one cup of cold water and add to oxtail and onions. Cover with boiling water stirring as you do. Add bay leaves and cloves. Place in a 350f oven with the lid on for 1 hour. Now add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Cook for 2 hours more checking every 30 mins or so. Top with water if it becomes too dry.

Serve with samp or rice.

I sometimes add 2 tsps of curry if I want it spicy.
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:18 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I agree with Charlie. The oxtail soup I make certainly requires no sides at all! It's wonderfully flavorful and decadently rich.

Check out post 16 in the thread on oxtail soup in the "soups" forum. My recipe is there.

I have some oxtails in the freezer and it it wasn't 100F in the shade I'd make a pot of it in a minute.
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:37 PM   #6
Assistant Cook
binny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:12 PM   #7
Head Chef
Oxtails can be a very rich protein. I would braise them and serve them with a lovely salad of mixed greens, perhaps with some citrus too.
joesfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:36 AM   #8
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
Oxtails can be a very rich protein. I would braise them and serve them with a lovely salad of mixed greens, perhaps with some citrus too.
Joe mate I add dried strips of orange and lemon zest to my braise and if I cook it for a dinner party I do it 24 hrs before, remove the tubes of meat, then using blanched strips of leek tie the meat into bundles of 4 sit on a little mound of horse radish mash and pour the gravy around.
I was married by a judge, I should have asked for a jury.
Bolas De Fraile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:09 AM   #9
Master Chef
Isn't Osso Buco the classic oxtail stew recipe? Wait, no, that's made with veal shanks. But I bet oxtails would work as well, since braising is the cooking method, and both cuts are flavorful and fairly tough.

There are a bunch of Osso Buco recipes on teh web. Simply do a quick google search.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:35 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
I'd go with the oxtail soup, too. With barley. Yum.

Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote