Oxtail recipes for slow cooker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SadieBaby.

Cook
Please help me, I fancied trying oxtails so I brought a huge bag from the butchers and I don't know what to do with them. Any recipe ideas would be great, I plan to cook them in my slow cooker?!

That old thread warning is kinda neat. I never saw one before.
I like barley in my oxtail soup. An old family favorite.

They sound nice, thanks for your posts, but I was thinking of a more exciting recipe. Like a carribean stew or Gumbo or something. Is that doable with oxtails? :)

It there anybody who has a traditional home cooked recipe for a carribean stew/ Gumbo that they would like to share? Please please please?! :)

Your Ox tail can also be used. I would braise it first.

Gumbo

Ingredients:

Part-A, (common to all gumbo):

4 Tbl. Oil
4 Tbl. Flour
1 Large Onion, Chopped
2 cans (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes
1 Bell Pepper, Minced
1 Stalk Celery, Minced
1/4 Cup Chopped Parsley
1/4 tsp. Thyme
1 Tbl. Basil
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp. Louisiana Hot Sauce
2 Tbl. Gumbo Filè (pronounced fee-lay)
2 Quarts Water (or as an option, 1 qt. Chicken Stock + 1 qt. water)
Salt & Pepper to taste

Part-B, (Add 2-4 lbs. of diced and previously cooked proteins of your choice, e.g. seafood, chicken, Andouille sausage) Personally, I add all three - :chef:

Directions:

Make a dark roux by browning the flour in the oil, constantly stirring over medium low heat (15-30 minutes - the slower the better).
Add the finished roux to a stock or crock pot.

Add everything else in Part-A to the pot and stir to combine with the roux.

Bring to a simmer.

Add your previously diced and cooked protein(s) (except in the case of Seafood Gumbo. Only add the shrimp two minutes before serving.) and a simmer for at least an hour. Again, the longer the better.

Serve in a bowl on a bed of rice and make additional Gumbo Filè available for seasoning.

Last edited:
I actually have oxtail in my freezer as I have also wanted to try it. That gumbo is gonnna happen Sunday for me. Thanks Selkie!

Selkie said:
Your Ox tail can also be used. I would braise it first.

Gumbo

Ingredients:

Part-A, (common to all gumbo):

4 Tbl. Oil
4 Tbl. Flour
1 Large Onion, Chopped
2 cans (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes
1 Bell Pepper, Minced
1 Stalk Celery, Minced
1/4 Cup Chopped Parsley
1/4 tsp. Thyme
1 Tbl. Basil
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp. Louisiana Hot Sauce
2 Tbl. Gumbo Filè (pronounced fee-lay)
2 Quarts Water (or as an option, 1 qt. Chicken Stock + 1 qt. water)
Salt & Pepper to taste

Part-B, (Add 2-4 lbs. of diced and previously cooked proteins of your choice, e.g. seafood, chicken, Andouille sausage) Personally, I add all three - :chef:

Directions:

Make a dark roux by browning the flour in the oil, constantly stirring over medium low heat (15-30 minutes - the slower the better).
Add the finished roux to a stock or crock pot.

Add everything else in Part-A to the pot and stir to combine with the roux.

Bring to a simmer.

Add your previously diced and cooked protein(s) (except in the case of Seafood Gumbo. Only add the shrimp two minutes before serving.) and a simmer for at least an hour. Again, the longer the better.

Serve in a bowl on a bed of rice and make additional Gumbo Filè available for seasoning.

Thanks the recipe sounds scrumptious! :)

Back
Top Bottom