"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-11-2006, 11:22 AM   #1
Master Chef

Oyster Cracker Munchies!

They go great with soup and salads and are addictive to munch on by them selves.

2 bags oyster crackers
1 package ranch salad dressing mix
2 tblsp dill weed
1/2 tsp lemon pepper
1/2 tsp red pepper
1 cup of veggie/canola oil

Mix seasonings in the salad oil. Pour mixture over crackers (in a large bowl) and stir until all oil is absorbed.

Old 02-13-2006, 05:17 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to kimbaby Send a message via Yahoo to kimbaby
Thanks, I Just May Have To Try This,i Love To Munch!

Old 02-13-2006, 11:31 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Sorry to sound completely clueless, perhaps I just know them by a different name, but what are oyster crackers? You recipe sounds really nice Saddie, thanks for sharing it

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 03:46 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Thanx
I'm gonna try this with left-over dry popcorn.
It can be a low salt snack too!

'can't wait....
Old 02-14-2006, 03:59 PM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

Piccolina these are oyster crackers. They are often served with things like New England Clam Chowder.

Sattie your recipe sounds great. I have a very similar one that I love. They really are a great snack. When I make mine I put them in a brown paper shopping bag and shake them every once in a while. This helps get rid of some of the excess oil.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:16 PM   #6
Master Chef

Gb

Great idea GB... did not think about doing that to absorb some of that oil. I remember when I first made them, I was certain that the crackers would be mushy with all that oil.

I hate to make them, because I go by the kitchen and I see the container and I thinks to myself... "self? I will just have a couple of these...." Yea right! Hook - line - and sinker! I an sitting on the kitchen floor feeling like the cookie monster of oyster crackers!!!! AAARRGGHH!
Old 02-21-2006, 03:09 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Hmm, do you think spraying the crackers in a bowl with Pam or some type of cooking spray first would help the seasonings stick? I may have to try this. The recipe sounds really good.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:29 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxpuella
Hmm, do you think spraying the crackers in a bowl with Pam or some type of cooking spray first would help the seasonings stick? I may have to try this. The recipe sounds really good.
Not sure, it could work. So are you thinking just spritz the crackers and then toss them in the dry ingredients?

I have tried olive oil and it just did not taste right. What ever you use, make sure it has a very light or no flavor at all.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:31 PM   #9
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie
I have tried olive oil and it just did not taste right. What ever you use, make sure it has a very light or no flavor at all.
What type did you use? For such a recipe as this, I think extra light would be in order. Not as strong as regular olive oil or the other varieties of olive oil. I've not tried it, but I've hard others use it in replacement of other oils, even in baking!
Old 02-21-2006, 08:13 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog
What type did you use? For such a recipe as this, I think extra light would be in order. Not as strong as regular olive oil or the other varieties of olive oil. I've not tried it, but I've hard others use it in replacement of other oils, even in baking!
Big Dog... it has been so long ago since I did it, I honestly do not remember. I am thinking I used regular olive oil which may be the reason it tasted so odd. If anyone here tries it and can confirm/vouche for it, let us know!!!!