"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-18-2012, 02:24 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgator View Post
I am told the flavors do not mix well. Seafood and rabbit+chicken+snails seem to have opposite tastes and do not complement. What do I know. I prefer the non seafood version, valenciana (with conejo, gallina o pollo y caracoles), but it depends on your preference. It is supposed to be a poor man's dish, that collected all that was available to the farmer and put it into a big padella (paella) to cook... Kindof the spaghetti of the Spaniards... My 2 Cents...

Recipes often mix the two. Try it and see if you like it. If not, you an change it next time.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:54 PM   #12
Head Chef

Supposedly, there's a reliable account from about 1900 of paella featuring water vole as the meat.

After that, I don't anyone can really justify criticizing your choices.

(If you remember Wind In the Willows, this would be the original "water rat" for which the alternate term was "ratty." So Mole was using the right nickname.)

Old 02-19-2012, 01:15 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

in the spanish/portugese restaurants of newark, n.j. (which has a large esp/por immigrant population), paella valenciana is the paella that consists of mixed meats and shellfish. paella marinera/mariscos is just seafood.

after reading margi's post, i figure that this might be an americanization, but from my experience, paella valenciana is a mix of chicken, spanish sausage, and shellfish.

some examples: Don Pepe Restaurant - (973) 623-4662 - New Jersey restaurants, Newark New Jersey Weddings, Parties, banquets, Showers, Meetings...

Spain Restaurant - Dinner Menu

Chateau of Spain Restaurant Ironbound Newark NJ Area

Adega Grill - Newark, NJ Restaurants - NJ Parties, banquets, Showers, Meetings...

Spanish Tavern Newark NJ

they all show valenciana as chicken, sausage, anmd shellfish.

i'll have to do some research to see if it's just this way in america. time to break out my spanish dictionary for googling.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:25 AM   #14
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
personally, I couldn't imagine it without some nice Chorizo, traditional or not, something about the nice, semi-spicy sausage pairs wonderfully with the Chicken, shrimp, mussels/clams.

AndyM hit the nail on the head though, if you are doing meat and seafood, things should be staged according to the cooking time.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:10 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

ok, after some quick research, it appears that the original paella recipe was just meats (chicken, rabbit, sausage) and veggies with rice, with snails added when available. it was invented in the fields and mountains near valencia, hence the common term paella valenciana.

the dish is a lot like chili in the united states where it was a worker's dish, so whatever ingredients that were available cheaply were added. the closer you got to the coast, the more likely it would be made out of fish and seafood.

somewhere along the line, people found they liked a mixture of meats and seafoods, so paella mixta was created and is the most popular version of paella worldwide.

in order to be more accurate, one would then order paella mariscos for all fish/shellfish, paella mixta for meats and fish, or paella vegetal for veggie paella.

there's also arroz negro which uses squid ink to turn the rice black.

man, i need some paella.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:13 AM   #16
Executive Chef

To me, it's the one time you can eat everything in one dish. And drink wine while doing it. I love Paella.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:16 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
To me, it's the one time you can eat everything in one dish. And drink wine while doing it. I love Paella.
Rock mate try this Fideua Fideuā Valenciana Recipe
Old 02-19-2012, 03:25 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
ok, after some quick research, it appears that the original paella recipe was just meats (chicken, rabbit, sausage) and veggies with rice, with snails added when available. it was invented in the fields and mountains near valencia, hence the common term paella valenciana.

the dish is a lot like chili in the united states where it was a worker's dish, so whatever ingredients that were available cheaply were added. the closer you got to the coast, the more likely it would be made out of fish and seafood.

somewhere along the line, people found they liked a mixture of meats and seafoods, so paella mixta was created and is the most popular version of paella worldwide.

in order to be more accurate, one would then order paella mariscos for all fish/shellfish, paella mixta for meats and fish, or paella vegetal for veggie paella.

there's also arroz negro which uses squid ink to turn the rice black.

man, i need some paella.
Tom mate you have it in a nutshell, talking of Spanish nuts, some people make a pilgrimage to Santiago mine is to here Jijona Spain
Old 02-19-2012, 05:25 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
personally, I couldn't imagine it without some nice Chorizo, traditional or not, something about the nice, semi-spicy sausage pairs wonderfully with the Chicken, shrimp, mussels/clams.

AndyM hit the nail on the head though, if you are doing meat and seafood, things should be staged according to the cooking time.
America's version of surf and turf paella.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:31 AM   #20
Executive Chef

@ DC gator: The shepherds in Mountains created

DC GATOR,

Good Morning.

Valencia has a " la sierra " hill country and thus, the shepherds of the interior regions of Levante, had created this dish, to feed all the shepherds and farmers and their families.

One can mix shellfish with rabbit, pheasant, quail and chicken. This is called " MAR Y MONTAŅA " = the sea and the mountain Paella.

Also, note that this traditional dish, which dates back to antiquity also employs: lima beans, fava or broad beans and butter beans ! and sausage, snails ... and of course saffron and arborio rice, as Valencia produces this short grain rice 33km south of The city of Valencia.

This dish is normally celebrated at the SUECA FESTIVAL which is a small town in Rice Production country in the hill country. Sueca is translated to Sweden, however, it has nothing to do with Sweden. It is a Valencian village where they hold a huge contest, as to who can make the best paella ...

The keys are: to prepare this dish for family and friends. It is rare that one makes a paella for two ! It is a the culture to share this dish.

I can post the traditional recipe for Mountain Paella, if you wish.

Personally, I prefer to Fideua, the Barcelona Noodle type with shellfish and the Caldoso, which is a shellfish paella in Boulaibaisse ... Rather than the drier version of rice ...

Let me know, and when I arrive in Madrid I shall post it ---

Kind regards,
Margi.

Tags
paella, seafood