"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-17-2014, 10:43 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Pan Fried Steak

Hi all,

I've been experimenting with pan fried steaks and noticing something. If I have the heat all the way on high and get my wok (yes, it's the only pan I have, except for cheap non stick skillets I never use) nice and HOT, it gets a nice sear pretty quickly and would be great if I liked my steaks rare. I like medium rare, and to cook for long enough, if I keep the temp that high I actually burn the steak. If I cook at a medium high, the sear gets there eventually and nicely, and I get the steak cooked to my liking.

Does anyone else have that experience, that the more done the steak, the lower temp you cook?

My prep is to leave the steak out for 30 min at room temp, salt and pepper, and olive oil.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:57 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Yup. You could also sear the steak on both sides at high or med high heat then turn the heat down to medium or med low to cook it to the desired degree of doneness.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:45 PM   #3
Master Chef

I don't know much about woks, but if yours is oven safe, you could sear it the way you've been doing on the stovetop, and then put it into a preheated oven for a couple of minutes to get the inside the way you like it.

If it's a steak with a nice marbling such as rib eye, I let it come to room temp, pat it dry, season with salt and fresh cracked pepper, then put it into a hot skillet with a light coating of oil, rather than coating the steak itself with oil.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:20 AM   #4
Master Chef

Try the Selkie method, it works for me!

Need help Creating a fancy dinner
Old 04-18-2014, 09:27 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Try the Selkie method, it works for me!

Need help Creating a fancy dinner
Three minutes per side? That'll set off the smoke detector for sure and burn that snot outta it
Old 04-18-2014, 11:25 AM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistos View Post
Three minutes per side? That'll set off the smoke detector for sure and burn that snot outta it
I guess that's not the method for you, good luck!
Old 04-18-2014, 11:41 AM   #7
Sous Chef

I don't think a successful description of cooking a steak in a wok can be given. The only time I've heard of a steak being cooked in a wok is when the steak has been cut into thin strips for fast searing and cooking. Is the heat source a gas stove, electric, a hot plate? Without knowing what kind of steak, how thick is the steak and what is the quality of the wok, I couldn't even begin to guess how to suggest a way to cook a steak using that method. My best suggestion is to keep experimenting or save up and buy a cast iron frying pan.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:08 PM   #8
Executive Chef

No problem. How thick are the steaks? Sear for 3 minutes per side for 2" thick steaks.
Place steak on hot serving plate and allow to rest for 6-8 minutes. Medium rare for you. Rest less for rare. You will need to learn your pan and your stove for good results consistently.

For me "sear" is hot first, then reduce temp to medium. I use heavy AL fry pan.

I allow the steak to sit out of the fridge for at least 30 minutes, before putting in hot pan. Resting is what you need to get the result you want.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:30 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldvine View Post
I don't think a successful description of cooking a steak in a wok can be given. The only time I've heard of a steak being cooked in a wok is when the steak has been cut into thin strips for fast searing and cooking. Is the heat source a gas stove, electric, a hot plate? Without knowing what kind of steak, how thick is the steak and what is the quality of the wok, I couldn't even begin to guess how to suggest a way to cook a steak using that method. My best suggestion is to keep experimenting or save up and buy a cast iron frying pan.
It's an electric stove with a carbon steel wok, nice quality. I like 1" ribeyes the best.

I can't imagine switching from a wok to a skillet would be better, it's a flat bottom wok and the steak fits nicely in it. I could see going from steel to cast iron making a difference.

Anyways I started the thread 'cause everything I read about pan frying steaks said to cook very, very hot to get a good sear, but I found too hot and I'd get a crunchy brown crust and some burning, not the type of tasty sear I get at a nice steakhouse.

It seems I shouldn't need to keep it so hot for the entire cooking time, which makes sense and will make me a very
Old 04-18-2014, 07:01 PM   #10
Sous Chef

OK,then. This is how I've cook steaks for decades (not grilled). I put my 12" cast iron frying pan on the burner, turn on the gas burner of my Wolf stove, strike a match and light the fire, drizzle in a little oil, turn on the fan and heat the skillet until a little smoke curls up into the running fan. Then slap the steaks in and let them sizzle until the edges get that perfect look and then I flip them and cook them until they get the look I like. I don't think it will work using a wok of any quality. I guess I have no suggestion.

Tags
steak