Pan pasta cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lindatooo

Head Chef
I want to cook penne pasta along with chicken breasts in one pan...how much fluid to I need to add to cook the pasta?

TIA

Not sure, Linda. You might need 2.5 to 3 times the liquid as you have pasta. e.g. 1 cup of pasta to 2.5 to 3 cups of liquid.

It takes a lot of liquid and a short time to cook pasta compared to how long it takes to cook chicken. You might want to reconsider trying to cook it all in one pan.

The reason is I'm being a bit lazy. I remember making Goulash (not an authentic dish at all) but I didn't cook the pasta before I added it to the dish. My memory is old, though, and I don't remember how much liquid I added. Would it be the same ratio as to rice?

I'm thinking Andy M. was probably close when he said 2.5-3 times the amount of liquid as the pasta. It might be as little as 2x - depends on the pasta.

Don't worry Linda - you're not totally crazy looking at cooking this way. You cook your chicken until almost done, add the noodles, let simmer till the noodles are done .... sounds like a chicken version of Hamburger Helper to me! :LOL:

Unless you want to make chicken soup, your best choice is to add the liquid a little at a time and cook the pasta something like risotto. That way you can control exactly how much liquid you end up with.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom