Pancake frying help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Merlinr

Assistant Cook
We have a gathering of about 350 neighbors, friends and relatives for pancakes and ham. The first side of the cake looks very nice and the other side looks crappy. We have tried different grill temps, oils, no oils, thin batter, thick batter, etc.
Does anyone have any idea of how we can improve on how the bottom looks.
Thanks Merlin

Merlinr, can you describe how the first side looks vs. the second side? Could you be cooking one side too long?

There are lots of pancake experts on this forum, so helpfully they can be of more help.

The second side never looks like the first side, I suppose the difference has to do with the bubbles appearing when time to turn. I wouldn't think they look bad tho, just different.

HTC. The first side looks great. golden brown, The other side is blotchy brown with the edges looking undone. Merlin

It sounds like you should turn the burner down after you flip them, so the second side can cook fully.

Ooops, I forgot to say, "are you oiling the griddle so that the second side gets some?" You may need to do that.

This has always been true. It's the same with pancakes, fish, poultry and meats. That's why you are taught, "presentation side down." to start cooking in a pan. The second side never looks as good as the first.

If the first side looks good and the pancake is properly cooked, you're not doing anything wrong. Stack them good side up and serve.

The change from bottom to top is caused by the partially set batter. To avoid this, cook at a temperature of about 350 on an electric griddle. Use a very good batter that puffs up wonderfully and cook until the bubble just start to appear. Flip the pancake while the top is still "wet", taking care to plop the pancake straight down, as any sliding will smear the top side. Cook for an additional thirty to forty seconds. You will find your problem solved. Both sides will look great. :mrgreen:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Definately, the top side must still be wet batter. Turn it once you get a good amount of bubbles beginning to set in the top.

What are you cooking them on? It's hard to get that many good cakes in a short amount of time. I think you really need a gas griddle with a heavy top plate for that. The batter cools a griddle a lot, and time is needed for the temp to recover.

Anyway, when the bubbles start to set but the top is still runny, time to flip them. As others have said, turn only once and serve with the first side you cooked facing up.:chef:

choclatechef said:
Ooops, I forgot to say, "are you oiling the griddle so that the second side gets some?" You may need to do that.
That is what I was going to say - oiling the griddle for the second side is important. The second side never looks quite as good as the first, probably because the bubbles can't escape through the sealed side, but oiling will help some. And, as Andy said, serve the presentation side up.

Mine do that also but it is worse with a mix. I also try to turn mine as early as possible and if I don't think they are cooked I turn them back on the first side, I think it is when the batter sets up.
This batter comes out thinner than some but works good for making nicer looking cakes.
:rolleyes: 1 c. sifted flour
1Tsp. baking powder
3 Tbsp. melted butter
1 tsp. vanilla
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 c. milk
1 egg

Mix dry ingredients in one bowl and liquids in a separate bowl pour and mix dry ingredients into liquids gradually cook on ungreased skillet.
Maybe they come out better since they have so much butter.

Last edited:
Go to your favorite pancake place (IHOP, Ol' South Pancake House, Dennys. etc.) and order a stack of pancakes ... and compare the tops and bottoms. They will not be the same. Crepes are the same.

As Goodweed said ... the difference will be because of the way the batter sets when cooked on the first side. You can lift the pancake, grease the griddle again, and then plop the pancake down to get even grease ... the bottom isn't going to look like the top.

Back
Top Bottom