"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-24-2013, 10:11 AM   #1
Senior Cook
 
Robin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 101
Pancake help

Instead of using instant pancake mix I tried to make my own.

2 cups flour
1tbsp baking soda
1tbsp baking powder
Milk until desired consistency (about 1 cup)
Cinnamon & Nutmeg to taste.

I get a nasty aftertaste when cooked though. Is the soda and power maybe too much? If I don't put it in there though they don't rise a bit.

__________________

__________________
Blessed Be,

Robin
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:16 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,894
Yes, I think that's way too much. Have a look at this thread: DC's All American Flapjack Flip-Off. We had a contest recently
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:46 AM   #3
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: California's Big Valley
Posts: 810
Was there an egg in the batter? And were those tablespoons of leavening? Too much for 2 cups of flour.
__________________
Oldvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:49 AM   #4
Senior Cook
 
Robin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldvine View Post
Was there an egg in the batter? And were those tablespoons of leavening? Too much for 2 cups of flour.
No egg and yes tablespoons.
__________________
Blessed Be,

Robin
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Southern Illinois
Posts: 75
an egg may be a good thing. I add an egg to complete pancake mix I get in a box. Even though it does not say to do so, it makes a world of difference, in both taste and texture.

But I tried the made from scratch thing as well and know that taste you are talking about. It kind of turned me off of made from scratch, but if I can get some advice from this threat, I might try it again.

No, no one is threatening me, just too lazy go go back and change my spellings... LOL I meant thread.
__________________
If Life was logical, the men would ride side saddle - Paul Harvey
rockey_f_squirrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:55 AM   #6
Executive Chef
 
Hoot's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The edge of the Great Dismal Swamp
Posts: 3,308
I have used Alton Brown's recipe for "instant" pancake mix with no troubles.
Alton Brown - Instant Pancake Mix
__________________
I used to be a racist, but I don't have much interest in it since Dale Earnhardt got killed.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:31 PM   #7
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
Too much baking soda, or baking soda will give you a had flavor in you pancakes. Try this recipe. It's my "World Famous Pancake Recipe", doubled. You will like it, guaranteed.

Ingredients:
Whisk together:
2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
4 tsp. baking powder
4 tbs. sugar or honey

Add:
2 large eggs
6 tbs. cooking oil
1 1/2 cups milk

Whisk together until only small lumps remain. Cook over medium heat until bubbles form on top. Flip and cook for about two more minutes. Serve immediately with your favorite pancake topping.

For more flavor, add 1 cup fresh blueberries.

The rest of you, you know I couldn't resist giving out the recipe again .

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:00 PM   #8
Senior Cook
 
Robin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 101
Success! Sometimes I just get the urge to do something and can't quit till its right.

After that disaster this morning I wanted to do better. So I made pancakes again for lunch.
Oh I forgot in my original recipe I added a little vanilla extract. I used all of the vanilla this morning, so I substituted with orange extract.

So the recipe I used was.

2 cups flour
1 egg
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1 cup milk
1 cap full orange extract
1 tbsp each Cinnamon & Nutmeg

It turned out great. In the words of my two year old son, "Mmmm" :)
__________________
Blessed Be,

Robin
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #9
Senior Cook
 
Robin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Too much baking soda, or baking soda will give you a had flavor in you pancakes. Try this recipe. It's my "World Famous Pancake Recipe", doubled. You will like it, guaranteed.

Ingredients:
Whisk together:
2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
4 tsp. baking powder
4 tbs. sugar or honey

Add:
2 large eggs
6 tbs. cooking oil
1 1/2 cups milk

Whisk together until only small lumps remain. Cook over medium heat until bubbles form on top. Flip and cook for about two more minutes. Serve immediately with your favorite pancake topping.

For more flavor, add 1 cup fresh blueberries.

The rest of you, you know I couldn't resist giving out the recipe again .

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Thanks for the recipe. We have some wild blackberries growing out back. I might have to try this when they ripen a bit more.
__________________
Blessed Be,

Robin
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:07 PM   #10
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
Success! Sometimes I just get the urge to do something and can't quit till its right.

After that disaster this morning I wanted to do better. So I made pancakes again for lunch.
Oh I forgot in my original recipe I added a little vanilla extract. I used all of the vanilla this morning, so I substituted with orange extract.

So the recipe I used was.

2 cups flour
1 egg
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1 cup milk
1 cap full orange extract
1 tbsp each Cinnamon & Nutmeg

It turned out great. In the words of my two year old son, "Mmmm" :)
You rock!

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________

__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.