Pancake help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robin

Senior Cook
Instead of using instant pancake mix I tried to make my own.

2 cups flour
1tbsp baking soda
1tbsp baking powder
Milk until desired consistency (about 1 cup)
Cinnamon & Nutmeg to taste.

I get a nasty aftertaste when cooked though. Is the soda and power maybe too much? If I don't put it in there though they don't rise a bit.

an egg may be a good thing. I add an egg to complete pancake mix I get in a box. Even though it does not say to do so, it makes a world of difference, in both taste and texture.

But I tried the made from scratch thing as well and know that taste you are talking about. It kind of turned me off of made from scratch, but if I can get some advice from this threat, I might try it again.

No, no one is threatening me, just too lazy go go back and change my spellings... LOL I meant thread.

Too much baking soda, or baking soda will give you a had flavor in you pancakes. Try this recipe. It's my "World Famous Pancake Recipe", doubled. You will like it, guaranteed.

Ingredients:
Whisk together:
2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
4 tsp. baking powder
4 tbs. sugar or honey

Add:
2 large eggs
6 tbs. cooking oil
1 1/2 cups milk

Whisk together until only small lumps remain. Cook over medium heat until bubbles form on top. Flip and cook for about two more minutes. Serve immediately with your favorite pancake topping.

For more flavor, add 1 cup fresh blueberries.

The rest of you, you know I couldn't resist giving out the recipe again ;).

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited by a moderator:
Success! Sometimes I just get the urge to do something and can't quit till its right.

After that disaster this morning I wanted to do better. So I made pancakes again for lunch.
Oh I forgot in my original recipe I added a little vanilla extract. I used all of the vanilla this morning, so I substituted with orange extract.

So the recipe I used was.

2 cups flour
1 egg
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1 cup milk
1 cap full orange extract
1 tbsp each Cinnamon & Nutmeg

It turned out great. In the words of my two year old son, "Mmmm" :)

Too much baking soda, or baking soda will give you a had flavor in you pancakes. Try this recipe. It's my "World Famous Pancake Recipe", doubled. You will like it, guaranteed.

Ingredients:
Whisk together:
2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
4 tsp. baking powder
4 tbs. sugar or honey

Add:
2 large eggs
6 tbs. cooking oil
1 1/2 cups milk

Whisk together until only small lumps remain. Cook over medium heat until bubbles form on top. Flip and cook for about two more minutes. Serve immediately with your favorite pancake topping.

Thanks for the recipe. We have some wild blackberries growing out back. I might have to try this when they ripen a bit more. :)

Success! Sometimes I just get the urge to do something and can't quit till its right.

After that disaster this morning I wanted to do better. So I made pancakes again for lunch.
Oh I forgot in my original recipe I added a little vanilla extract. I used all of the vanilla this morning, so I substituted with orange extract.

So the recipe I used was.

2 cups flour
1 egg
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1 cup milk
1 cap full orange extract
1 tbsp each Cinnamon & Nutmeg

It turned out great. In the words of my two year old son, "Mmmm" :)

You rock!:D

Why do you even bother with the baking soda? It isn't doing much good with nothing acidic to react with it and cause it to produce carbon dioxide for leavening.

Why do you even bother with the baking soda? It isn't doing much good with nothing acidic to react with it and cause it to produce carbon dioxide for leavening.

I don't know. lol. Because other recipes have had it in there? I didn't realize it needs something acidic to react to it.

Cheif Longwind..For your morning laugh...how do you do this?

I too use baking powder in my recipe and I buy Rumford, it is aluminum free and has a cleaner flavor, I prefer it in things with a neutral flavor like pancakes or biscuits. Argo also makes an aluminum free baking powder.

I find that baking powder with aluminum has an acrid flavor in things like biscuits and pancakes where there is a lot in there and nothing else to counteract the flavor.

Last edited:
Piling on the pancake love.... my recipe is a lot like chiefs but I love buckwheat flavor and use a flour blend..

Ingredients:

1 cup unbleached white flour
1 cup buckwheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
3 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
pinch of nutmeg
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cup milk (maybe a little more)
4 Tbsp melted butter or olive oil (I usually use olive oil)

AND

2/3 cup chopped pecans

Don't you just hate it when the keyboard keys are too close together.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I know you made an innocent mistake, but I have tears running down my face from laughing so hard. Thank you for enriching my day with humor.

Last edited:
Cheif Longwind..For your morning laugh...how do you do this?

Ok, now I'm feeling really dumb. I don't see my mistake, and I've looked over the sentence a bunch of times. It's probably a case of my mind, reading what it wants to see. Please, let me in on my mistake.:(

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Ok, now I'm feeling really dumb. I don't see my mistake, and I've looked over the sentence a bunch of times. It's probably a case of my mind, reading what it wants to see. Please, let me in on my mistake.:(

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Your original recipe had a "ss" where the "dd" is in the above sentence.

Back
Top Bottom