"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-19-2008, 02:25 PM   #11
Head Chef

CharlieD's right - we would have to go pie against pie or cake against cake. Trouble is I'm not a baker but working on CharlieD's version of the Lemonnik, a three layer and the same idea but with another Ukrainian classic Lemonnik - a fifteen layer torte. Don't know about this but it's a challenge to go into another cusine.

On the other hand I also really like Key Lime pies, got to learn to do good pie crusts first.

Anyone willing to submit a keylime pie recipe? Let's give this some thought, all you DC bakers and pie experts! A throwdown? You choose two - pie against pie, you and family and friends are the judges of which is better.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:04 PM   #12
Master Chef

Key-Lime Pie

No marangue is required for this deliscious pie. It is an easy recipe to make. Just don't over-bake it or it can get a bit chewey.

Ingredients:
Crust
16 graham crackers, crushed
3 tablespoons sugar
1 cube (1/4 lb) margarine or butter

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.

Mix all ingediests together and press into a nine inch pie pan.
Bake for for 10 - 12 minutes until just starting to brown. Remove from the oven and place on a rack to cool.

Filling ingredieants:
4 large or extra large egg yolks
1 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup fresh key lime juice (or use the smae amount from a bottel)
2 teaspoons grated lime peel, green portion only
Whipping cream for garnish (optional)

Use you mixer or food processor to beat the egg yolks until they are thick and turn to a light yellow. Now it's time to add the sweetened condensed milk. Turn the mixer speed to low and mix in half of the lime juice. Once the juice is completely blended in, add the other half of the juice and the zest, continue to mix until blended (just a few seconds). Pour the mixture into the pie shell and bake at 350F for 12 minutes.

Serve with a bit of whipped cream and enjoy.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:14 AM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Cottrell View Post
...they are more versatile, good with most any meal, as part of the main course or as a desert, or as a snack. ...
A little coment about this. Did I mention grated apple adition? If not you can add some into batter. Also drop the sugar, use plain yougurt or better yet buttermlik, add some grated zukini and you have a side dish for your chicken or meat. It could be carrots, or pretty much any other vegetables. Also simply do not add any sugar and maybe add a bit more salt and again you have a side dish.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:28 PM   #14
Head Chef

I still like using banana-walnut muffin mix with a little bisquick added to make pancakes. What a great flavor.. the bisquick lightens them up a bit.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:31 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Cottrell View Post
CharlieD’s Ukrainian Style Pancakes

Dry Ingredients:
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt

Wet Ingredients:
1 cup yogurt
1 egg (large D)
1-2 tsp baking soda (“killed” with approximately, very approximate D) 1-2 tbls vinegar. (I used Caulmet for both recipes. D)

(Preheat the griddle or pan – again it might take a trial to find the right heat. D)

Pour vinegar over baking soda until reaction stops. Mix wets into drys. Simple
I have to ask, what is the point of mixing the baking soda and vinegar? Is that not going to waste the leavening action too soon?
Old 02-25-2008, 03:32 PM   #16
Master Chef

On the opposite. Baking soda, unlike baking powder, alone doesn't have any leavening abilities; it needs a sour environment to work.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:33 AM   #17
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
On the opposite. Baking soda, unlike baking powder, alone doesn't have any leavening abilities; it needs a sour environment to work.
I understand the difference between baking powder and baking soda. What I am unclear about is why you "kill" the baking soda with the vinegar ahead of time.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:09 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Location: NJ for the moment, heading south next spring to be with my family.
Not wanting to miss out on my regular dose of cheesecake, and being a huge fan of key lime, but having limited time, and a request for both from friends...well...sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do... lol. Not sure if it's a fair comparison or not, but here it is. (and it's got a nice easy crust)

Crust Ingredients:
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
Filling Ingredients:
1 cup lime juice
1/4 cup water
2 (1/4-ounce) envelopes unflavored gelatin
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
5 large eggs, slightly beaten
1 tablespoon grated lime peel
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup whipping cream
Garnish Ingredients:
Sweetened whipped cream, if desired
Lime slices, if desired
1. Stir together all crust ingredients in medium bowl. Press on bottom of 9-inch springform pan; set aside.
2. Combine lime juice and water in 2-quart saucepan; sprinkle with gelatin. Let stand 5 minutes to soften. Add sugar, eggs and lime peel. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture just comes to a boil (7 to 8 minutes). DO NOT BOIL. Set aside.
3. Combine butter and cream cheese in large mixer bowl. Beat at medium speed, gradually adding hot lime mixture and scraping bowl often, until well mixed (1 to 2 minutes). Refrigerate, stirring occasionally, until cool (about 45 minutes).
4. Beat whipping cream in chilled small mixer bowl at high speed, scraping bowl often, until stiff peaks form (3 to 4 minutes). Fold into lime mixture. Pour into prepared crust. Cover; refrigerate until firm (3 to 4 hours). Loosen side of cheesecake from pan by running knife around inside of pan. Garnish top of cheesecake with whipped cream and lime slices.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:13 AM   #19
Head Chef

Question Throwdown coming?

Looks like we are coming close to a key lime throwdown of some kind - Goodweed has a nice looking traditional type pie recipe and SixSix has this exceptional looking lime cheese cake. I like cheese cakes and key lime pies. I might throw in a third, Ukrainian style cheese cake with the lime.

Got to study this!
Anybody else have a key lime type suggestion?
Old 02-26-2008, 11:26 AM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post
I understand the difference between baking powder and baking soda. What I am unclear about is why you "kill" the baking soda with the vinegar ahead of time.
I guess I am not quite sure what you asking. You are not killing anything. By adding vinegar you are starting the reaction that in turn will promote leavening process.