Pancakes!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Having eaten the Chief's pancakes for most of my life (he's my dad) I can tell you that they are exceptional, but they won't have the sweetness you are looking for. The base recipe creates a very neutral pancake that can be made savory or sweet.

However, the great thing about his recipe is that you can make them sweet if you want to. I've experimented with his recipe /a lot/and for what you are looking for, I would double the sugar in it (maybe triple depending on how sweet you want them but I would try doubling first) and add a teaspoon of vanilla. A lot of restaurant pancakes I've tried have a light vanilla flavor. Neither of these ingredients will really alter the chemistry of the batter so you shouldn't need to change anything else.

Good luck and keep us posted. At worst if no ones suggestions get you what you're looking for, we know what doesn't work and can help you come up with other ideas.

Oh, one more tip. Since you are looking for a paricular flavor, make the batter without the eggs at first. Then you can taste a tiny bit of the batter and tweek it as needed. Mix the eggs well separately to reduce the amount of mixing you have to do since too much will make the pancakes rubbery. Take notes so if you do over stir and end up with pancakes that are rubbery bit taste the way you want them to, well then you'll know what needs to be added and next time can do so right from the beginning. :)

Having eaten the Chief's pancakes for most of my life (he's my dad) I can tell you that they are exceptional, but they won't have the sweetness you are looking for. The base recipe creates a very neutral pancake that can be made savory or sweet.

However, the great thing about his recipe is that you can make them sweet if you want to. I've experimented with his recipe /a lot/and for what you are looking for, I would double the sugar in it (maybe triple depending on how sweet you want them but I would try doubling first) and add a teaspoon of vanilla. A lot of restaurant pancakes I've tried have a light vanilla flavor. Neither of these ingredients will really alter the chemistry of the batter so you shouldn't need to change anything else.

Good luck and keep us posted. At worst if no ones suggestions get you what you're looking for, we know what doesn't work and can help you come up with other ideas.

Oh, one more tip. Since you are looking for a paricular flavor, make the batter without the eggs at first. Then you can taste a tiny bit of the batter and tweek it as needed. Mix the eggs well separately to reduce the amount of mixing you have to do since too much will make the pancakes rubbery. Take notes so if you do over stir and end up with pancakes that are rubbery bit taste the way you want them to, well then you'll know what needs to be added and next time can do so right from the beginning. :)

Wow, great tips! Thanks so much!

Adding malt powder can also add that certain "flavor" to homemade pancakes. Carnation or Ovaltine malt powder...

My go-to pancake recipe is from the 1953 edition of the Better Homes and Garden Cookbook (the red and white one). The recipe is for buttermilk pancakes. My go-to recipe for waffles is also from this edition. I grew up eating them and prefer them (no offense Chief). I add grated orange zest, cinnamon, and cardamon to both.

Buttermilk Pancakes Recipe

I shake the oil, egg, and buttermilk together in a jar and then add it to the dry ingredients. I also add about 1 tsp of vanilla extract to the wet ingredients.

My go-to pancake recipe is from the 1953 edition of the Better Homes and Garden Cookbook (the red and white one). The recipe is for buttermilk pancakes. My go-to recipe for waffles is also from this edition. I grew up eating them and prefer them (no offense Chief). I add grated orange zest, cinnamon, and cardamon to both.

Buttermilk Pancakes Recipe

I shake the oil, egg, and buttermilk together in a jar and then add it to the dry ingredients. I also add about 1 tsp of vanilla extract to the wet ingredients.

No offense is taken. I'm a guy who believes that if you have a favorite kind of food, be it pancakes, or lasagna, or other, then that's you favorite. I like my pancakes recipe. And I think everyone should give it a try, just to see what they're like. But I also think everyone should give Charlie D's recipe a try. They are completely different than my recipe, but very good. I might just have to get some buttermilk and give your recipe a try. I've had some very good buttermilk pancakes. I know that my own Mother, and Grandmother loved them. And the buttermilk recipe is probably the most famous pancake recipe out there. And so how could I take offense?

Find the recipe you like best, then make it. Just remember the other recipes for variety's sake. And as P.A.G. stated, my recipe is a basic recipe, and can be modified easily. I have made it into yellow cake, chocolate cake, blueberry pancakes, etc.

Enjoy.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Thanks to all for great tips! I will venture out and try "The Chefs Pancakes" next time. Wish me luck!

Thanks to all for great tips! I will venture out and try "The Chefs Pancakes" next time. Wish me luck!

Good luck, though you won't need it. The only things your really have to watch for are pan temperature (water should sizzle violently when dripped onto the cooking surface, but oil shouldn't smoke), and taking care not to overmix the batter. Watch for the bubbles to start forming on top of the pancake, then flip it. The edges will start to lift from the pan surface, minutely, when the pancakes are done. Use a double-acting baking powder such as Calumet, or Clabber Girl brands. There are other brands as well. It's better to add fresh berries, than frozen berries, as they have to thaw while the pancakes are cooking. If you try to thaw frozen berries, they produce colored juice that will stain the pancakes. very acidic foods such as pineapple, will necessitate the addition of baking soda to again balance the leavening of the batter.

Ah, but I'm getting too complicated. Make the pancakes as per the recipe, add fresh berries, or peanuts. or M&M candies, etc. Serve em up with syrup, honey, or fruit jam. Enjoy with sausage, ham, or bacon.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I officially cooked "the chefs" pancakes. I cried!....it was the BEST recipe ever!!!!! I will never turn back again, my husband thought they were great, he said they were the best I've ever made. My life is complete now, thanks again!

I guess I'll be trying Chief's pancake recipe soon!

For the sweetness, I add vanilla- real or extract works fine. I'll be adding vanilla to these when I make them.

Chief Longwind, and Everyone,

Thanks for telling me about your Pancake Recipe. Sounds fabulous ..

Shall definitely be planning a Sunday Brunch.

My go-to pancake recipe is from the 1953 edition of the Better Homes and Garden Cookbook (the red and white one).

I have the 1978 version of that cookbook... It has been my go to for waffles and pancakes since that time...

That said, I will certainly give The Chiefs offering a go... All these accolades can't be for nothing... :chef:

Ross

LOL - as soon as I saw the title was "Pancakes"... I KNEW Chief would have to come by! The only thing I've changed in his recipe is the oil -( I don't use anything but coconut and EVOO these days - - health choice & allergy-related) so I've switched to using melted coconut oil, which has the same outcome (and no, it doesn't taste like coconut). :)
Thanks for posting your famous recipe, Chief!

I simply add more sugar but I've tried your way and get some incredible result. Thank you so much jkath!

When cooking pancakes at home, how do I get that sweetness to them like pancakes you eat in a restaurant? I've heard adding malt powder is supposed to add that faint sweetness, but I've tried it and it doesn't seem to do anything! I can never get my pancakes to taste sweet like they do in a restaurant....besides syrup obviously! Help!!!

When making pizza dough. To make the dough sweeter add more salt, not sugar. This may work for your pancake batter too. Just a thought. Give it a try.

Sour Cream Pancakes

Ingredients
6 large eggs
12 Tbsp sour cream
12 Tbsp Bisquick
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt

Mix all liquid ingredients, plus sugar and salt in a bowl. Whisk in Bisquick, one Tbsp at a time until you have a thin batter.
Heat up the griddle and go to town. Be careful that they don't float off the griddle.:ROFLMAO:

My flour must be stronger then yours, Cheif, it becomes a dough, not batter , so I added more milk.
I prefer Swedish or Scottish pancakes to be honest.

My flour must be stronger then yours, Cheif, it becomes a dough, not batter , so I added more milk.
I prefer Swedish or Scottish pancakes to be honest.

I use AP flour, which has lost much of its gluten content over the years. But even with that, it is very imortant no to overmix the batter, as it will become doughey as the gluten develops. The batter should not be thin, but not be as thick as biscuit dough. There should be small lumps in it. They will disappear while cooking. The end result should be a very moist and delicate pancake with a good loft, and be exceptionally tender.

If you like a more substantial pancake, then use another recipe. I don't know what Swedish, or Scottish pancakes are like. You would have to post a recipe, and explain the texture to me. Are they similar to crumpets? Are they yeast, or baking powder/soda leavened? Are they eggy, like popovers, Dutch Babies, or Yorkshire pudding? Help me out.

Seeeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

If you like american pancakes, Chief's pancakes are the best, according to my wife, and she knows her pancakes.

If you like american pancakes, Chief's pancakes are the best, according to my wife, and she knows her pancakes.

If you're fond of Russian pancakes, Charie D's have been voted at the top of the heap, tied with my own in several Discuss Cooking pancake contests.

Go Charlie.:clap:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom