"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-28-2013, 11:12 PM   #21
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mostly in my head
Posts: 2,665
Having eaten the Chief's pancakes for most of my life (he's my dad) I can tell you that they are exceptional, but they won't have the sweetness you are looking for. The base recipe creates a very neutral pancake that can be made savory or sweet.

However, the great thing about his recipe is that you can make them sweet if you want to. I've experimented with his recipe /a lot/and for what you are looking for, I would double the sugar in it (maybe triple depending on how sweet you want them but I would try doubling first) and add a teaspoon of vanilla. A lot of restaurant pancakes I've tried have a light vanilla flavor. Neither of these ingredients will really alter the chemistry of the batter so you shouldn't need to change anything else.

Good luck and keep us posted. At worst if no ones suggestions get you what you're looking for, we know what doesn't work and can help you come up with other ideas.

Oh, one more tip. Since you are looking for a paricular flavor, make the batter without the eggs at first. Then you can taste a tiny bit of the batter and tweek it as needed. Mix the eggs well separately to reduce the amount of mixing you have to do since too much will make the pancakes rubbery. Take notes so if you do over stir and end up with pancakes that are rubbery bit taste the way you want them to, well then you'll know what needs to be added and next time can do so right from the beginning. :)
__________________

__________________
Just because something has a duck bill doesn't mean it's a platypus. It might just be a duck.
Roger Miller: You can't roller skate in a buffalo heard, but you can be happy if you've a mind to.
purple.alien.giraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:21 PM   #22
Sous Chef
 
Skittle68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Duluth, MN
Posts: 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
Having eaten the Chief's pancakes for most of my life (he's my dad) I can tell you that they are exceptional, but they won't have the sweetness you are looking for. The base recipe creates a very neutral pancake that can be made savory or sweet.

However, the great thing about his recipe is that you can make them sweet if you want to. I've experimented with his recipe /a lot/and for what you are looking for, I would double the sugar in it (maybe triple depending on how sweet you want them but I would try doubling first) and add a teaspoon of vanilla. A lot of restaurant pancakes I've tried have a light vanilla flavor. Neither of these ingredients will really alter the chemistry of the batter so you shouldn't need to change anything else.

Good luck and keep us posted. At worst if no ones suggestions get you what you're looking for, we know what doesn't work and can help you come up with other ideas.

Oh, one more tip. Since you are looking for a paricular flavor, make the batter without the eggs at first. Then you can taste a tiny bit of the batter and tweek it as needed. Mix the eggs well separately to reduce the amount of mixing you have to do since too much will make the pancakes rubbery. Take notes so if you do over stir and end up with pancakes that are rubbery bit taste the way you want them to, well then you'll know what needs to be added and next time can do so right from the beginning. :)
Wow, great tips! Thanks so much!
__________________

__________________
Skittle68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:53 PM   #23
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,283
Adding malt powder can also add that certain "flavor" to homemade pancakes. Carnation or Ovaltine malt powder...
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:01 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,303
My go-to pancake recipe is from the 1953 edition of the Better Homes and Garden Cookbook (the red and white one). The recipe is for buttermilk pancakes. My go-to recipe for waffles is also from this edition. I grew up eating them and prefer them (no offense Chief). I add grated orange zest, cinnamon, and cardamon to both.

Buttermilk Pancakes Recipe

I shake the oil, egg, and buttermilk together in a jar and then add it to the dry ingredients. I also add about 1 tsp of vanilla extract to the wet ingredients.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:24 PM   #25
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
My go-to pancake recipe is from the 1953 edition of the Better Homes and Garden Cookbook (the red and white one). The recipe is for buttermilk pancakes. My go-to recipe for waffles is also from this edition. I grew up eating them and prefer them (no offense Chief). I add grated orange zest, cinnamon, and cardamon to both.

Buttermilk Pancakes Recipe

I shake the oil, egg, and buttermilk together in a jar and then add it to the dry ingredients. I also add about 1 tsp of vanilla extract to the wet ingredients.
No offense is taken. I'm a guy who believes that if you have a favorite kind of food, be it pancakes, or lasagna, or other, then that's you favorite. I like my pancakes recipe. And I think everyone should give it a try, just to see what they're like. But I also think everyone should give Charlie D's recipe a try. They are completely different than my recipe, but very good. I might just have to get some buttermilk and give your recipe a try. I've had some very good buttermilk pancakes. I know that my own Mother, and Grandmother loved them. And the buttermilk recipe is probably the most famous pancake recipe out there. And so how could I take offense?

Find the recipe you like best, then make it. Just remember the other recipes for variety's sake. And as P.A.G. stated, my recipe is a basic recipe, and can be modified easily. I have made it into yellow cake, chocolate cake, blueberry pancakes, etc.

Enjoy.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:59 PM   #26
Assistant Cook
 
BakingGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 18
Thanks to all for great tips! I will venture out and try "The Chefs Pancakes" next time. Wish me luck!
__________________
BakingGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:16 AM   #27
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingGirl View Post
Thanks to all for great tips! I will venture out and try "The Chefs Pancakes" next time. Wish me luck!
Good luck, though you won't need it. The only things your really have to watch for are pan temperature (water should sizzle violently when dripped onto the cooking surface, but oil shouldn't smoke), and taking care not to overmix the batter. Watch for the bubbles to start forming on top of the pancake, then flip it. The edges will start to lift from the pan surface, minutely, when the pancakes are done. Use a double-acting baking powder such as Calumet, or Clabber Girl brands. There are other brands as well. It's better to add fresh berries, than frozen berries, as they have to thaw while the pancakes are cooking. If you try to thaw frozen berries, they produce colored juice that will stain the pancakes. very acidic foods such as pineapple, will necessitate the addition of baking soda to again balance the leavening of the batter.

Ah, but I'm getting too complicated. Make the pancakes as per the recipe, add fresh berries, or peanuts. or M&M candies, etc. Serve em up with syrup, honey, or fruit jam. Enjoy with sausage, ham, or bacon.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:32 AM   #28
Assistant Cook
 
BakingGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 18
I officially cooked "the chefs" pancakes. I cried!....it was the BEST recipe ever!!!!! I will never turn back again, my husband thought they were great, he said they were the best I've ever made. My life is complete now, thanks again!
__________________
BakingGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:09 AM   #29
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
I'm so glad yo enjoyed them.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:04 PM   #30
Senior Cook
 
DebLynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Connecticut, USA
Posts: 258
I guess I'll be trying Chief's pancake recipe soon!


For the sweetness, I add vanilla- real or extract works fine. I'll be adding vanilla to these when I make them.
__________________

__________________
DebLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.