Pancakes!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In Sweden our all purpose flour is a nice wheat flour, that is nearest to yours and it should be low in gluten too compared to bread flour. A friend brought a bag of her favorite AP flour from the use and that contain wheat and barely, I cant remember the brand. Maybe I should mix it up or I might have to buy cheaper flour, theytend to contain even less gluten.
Mine became like bread dough, I have this problem with a lot of recipe lately.

Scottish pancakes are like Americans, they contain cream of tartar.
Swedish pancakes are thin, very thing unless you make them in the oven. Check it out here http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/iso-help-advice-making-crepe-like-pancakes-96637.html the recipe is correct minus the sugar and I have posted how to cook them in the thread.

In Sweden our all purpose flour is a nice wheat flour, that is nearest to yours and it should be low in gluten too compared to bread flour. A friend brought a bag of her favorite AP flour from the use and that contain wheat and barely, I cant remember the brand. Maybe I should mix it up or I might have to buy cheaper flour, theytend to contain even less gluten.
Mine became like bread dough, I have this problem with a lot of recipe lately.

American all-purpose flour does not contain barley,just wheat. And pancakes do not contain cream of tartar. If your friends use those products that way, they are not typical.

Many of the old American pancake and biscuit recipes call for baking soda and cream of tartar instead of baking powder.

For a quick baking powder substitute you can use 1/4 teaspoon baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon of cream of tartar for each teaspoon of baking powder called for in a recipe.

You can make a larger batch of baking powder substitute by combining 1 part corn starch, 1 part baking soda and 2 parts cream of tartar. The cornstarch helps to keep the mixture from absorbing moisture and becoming lumpy. Use this mixture 1 for 1 in any recipe calling for baking powder.

Here is one example of an old pancake recipe.

https://ryan.cucumbertown.com/grandmas-pancakes-recipe

Last edited:
Many of the old American pancake and biscuit recipes call for baking soda and cream of tartar instead of baking powder.

For a quick baking powder substitute you can use 1/4 teaspoon baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon of cream of tartar for each teaspoon of baking powder called for in a recipe.

Oh, right, I forgot about that. Like I said, not typical ;)

Well that is what I thought to when it came to AP flour, but her really cheap one did.

I said SCOTTISH pancakes contains cream of tartar, at least in the old recipes I have, they are very fluffy.

You can make a larger batch of baking powder substitute by combining 1 part corn starch, 1 part baking soda and 2 parts cream of tartar. The cornstarch helps to keep the mixture from absorbing moisture and becoming lumpy. Use this mixture 1 for 1 in any recipe calling for baking powder.

Here is one example of an old pancake recipe.

https://ryan.cucumbertown.com/grandmas-pancakes-recipe

And the older year it was baking soda and vinegar. Doesn't get any easier and as simple things usually are very productive.

I said SCOTTISH pancakes contains cream of tartar, at least in the old recipes I have, they are very fluffy.

This is what you said:
It looks like you're saying that American pancakes, like Scottish ones, contain cream of tartar. Did I misunderstand you?

Another great pancake recipe:

BOth technique, and ingredients change in his recipe. They come out light, and tender, but with a more earthy flavor than my original recipe, with crispy edges and a wonderful breakfast sausage accent. And just so you know, pork fat contains less cholesterol than does butter.

Buckwheat pancakes with Sausage accents.
Ingredients:
1 cup flour
1/2 cup buckwheat flour
3/4 tsp. salt
3 tbs. dark corn syrup
2 medium eggs
1 tbs. double acting baking powder
1 1/3 cup milk
2 tbs. malt powder
1lb. pork breakfast sausage

Fry sausage in the same pan you will use to make the pancakes. Drain and reserve the sausage grease.

Combine all of the pancake ingredients in a mixing bowl with a whisk, leaving small lumps. Add 3 tbs. sausage grease to the batter, and fold it in.

Put a couple tbs. of the remaining sausage grease on the skillet, over medium-high heat. Put 1/4 cup of batter on the skillet for each pancake. Cook until bubbles start to poop on top. Flip, and cook until golder on the other side.

If you run out of sausage grease for each set of pancakes, you can substitue butter, or baclkn grease to get the crispy edges.

Serve with real maple syrup, or buckwheat honey. Of course, you can add fresh berries of your choice to the batter. and maybe even a little rubbed sage.

These pancakes are also great with fried ham, fried bologna, fried Spam, and of course crispy/soft bacon.

Beverage of choice (at least for me) a glass of pineapple juice, or grapefruit juice.

Enjoy.

Seeeeya; Chief ongwind of the North

Fluffy pancakes....

Many good recipes posted. I like to separate the egg and beat the white to soft peaks and fold into the batter. As a kid, I'd make really thin Bisquick pancakes, saturated in butter and black raspberry preserves. Then roll them like an enchilada.

Here's a quick pancake recipe to keep in your pocket, it's easy to remember. It's easily scaled up.

1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 egg
1 tablespoon melted butter or oil
1 tablespoon sugar
heavy pinch of salt
1 cup milk.

mix all together. you can also add vanilla.

It's been a while since I made pancakes. This morning,, since we had fresh, ripe, and flavorful blueberries in the fridge, i figured it was time to make a couple for me, and my youngest grandson. I used my regular recipe, but with melted bacon grease instead of cooking oil, and one extra tsp. of double acting baking powder; and the pancakes were huge. I put the blueberries on top of the raw batter just after putting the batter into the pan, making sure there would be a berry in every bite. I used half of the batter for each pancake. i turned the heat down so as not to burn the bottom before the pancake was cooked enough to flip. This worked perfectly. The batter rose as it cooked, and surrounded the berries. The pancakes were as light, and fluffy as ever, ad melt in your mouth tender. They were served with 3 strips of thick sliced bacon, cooked until almost crispy, and with raspberry preserves, or whipped honey to top the. Each pancake filled a charger. I do love pancakes:yum::mrgreen:.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom