"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2017, 03:54 PM   #31
Senior Cook

Chief Longwind, and Everyone,

Thanks for telling me about your Pancake Recipe. Sounds fabulous ..

Shall definitely be planning a Sunday Brunch.

Old 05-04-2017, 05:06 PM   #32
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
My go-to pancake recipe is from the 1953 edition of the Better Homes and Garden Cookbook (the red and white one).
I have the 1978 version of that cookbook... It has been my go to for waffles and pancakes since that time...

That said, I will certainly give The Chiefs offering a go... All these accolades can't be for nothing...

Ross

Old 05-12-2017, 01:43 PM   #33
Cook

Cream soda in place of water
Old 05-18-2017, 04:11 AM   #34
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath View Post
LOL - as soon as I saw the title was "Pancakes"... I KNEW Chief would have to come by! The only thing I've changed in his recipe is the oil -( I don't use anything but coconut and EVOO these days - - health choice & allergy-related) so I've switched to using melted coconut oil, which has the same outcome (and no, it doesn't taste like coconut). :)
Thanks for posting your famous recipe, Chief!
I simply add more sugar but I've tried your way and get some incredible result. Thank you so much jkath!
Old 05-18-2017, 06:15 PM   #35
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingGirl View Post
When cooking pancakes at home, how do I get that sweetness to them like pancakes you eat in a restaurant? I've heard adding malt powder is supposed to add that faint sweetness, but I've tried it and it doesn't seem to do anything! I can never get my pancakes to taste sweet like they do in a restaurant....besides syrup obviously! Help!!!
When making pizza dough. To make the dough sweeter add more salt, not sugar. This may work for your pancake batter too. Just a thought. Give it a try.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:46 AM   #36
Master Chef

Sour Cream Pancakes

Ingredients
6 large eggs
12 Tbsp sour cream
12 Tbsp Bisquick
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt

Mix all liquid ingredients, plus sugar and salt in a bowl. Whisk in Bisquick, one Tbsp at a time until you have a thin batter.
Heat up the griddle and go to town. Be careful that they don't float off the griddle.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:31 AM   #37
Head Chef

My flour must be stronger then yours, Cheif, it becomes a dough, not batter , so I added more milk.
I prefer Swedish or Scottish pancakes to be honest.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:55 PM   #38
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakePoet View Post
My flour must be stronger then yours, Cheif, it becomes a dough, not batter , so I added more milk.
I prefer Swedish or Scottish pancakes to be honest.
I use AP flour, which has lost much of its gluten content over the years. But even with that, it is very imortant no to overmix the batter, as it will become doughey as the gluten develops. The batter should not be thin, but not be as thick as biscuit dough. There should be small lumps in it. They will disappear while cooking. The end result should be a very moist and delicate pancake with a good loft, and be exceptionally tender.

If you like a more substantial pancake, then use another recipe. I don't know what Swedish, or Scottish pancakes are like. You would have to post a recipe, and explain the texture to me. Are they similar to crumpets? Are they yeast, or baking powder/soda leavened? Are they eggy, like popovers, Dutch Babies, or Yorkshire pudding? Help me out.

Seeeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:59 PM   #39
Master Chef

If you like american pancakes, Chief's pancakes are the best, according to my wife, and she knows her pancakes.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:23 PM   #40
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
If you like american pancakes, Chief's pancakes are the best, according to my wife, and she knows her pancakes.
If you're fond of Russian pancakes, Charie D's have been voted at the top of the heap, tied with my own in several Discuss Cooking pancake contests.

Go Charlie.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote