Pancakes!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BakingGirl

Assistant Cook
When cooking pancakes at home, how do I get that sweetness to them like pancakes you eat in a restaurant? I've heard adding malt powder is supposed to add that faint sweetness, but I've tried it and it doesn't seem to do anything! I can never get my pancakes to taste sweet like they do in a restaurant....besides syrup obviously! Help!!!

I don't seem to make great pancakes either. But my waffles are pretty good. I am pretty sure Chief Longwind will be along in a minute to link us/ you to his famous pancake recipe. It's pretty good. which is the scando way of saying down-right terrific.

Scando Host= would you like another cup of coffee
Scando Guest = No, thank you. ( holding hand over cup)

SH = I just made a fresh pot
SG = really, but no, I've had plenty ( waving hand briefly beside cup and picking at a pretend crumb on the table cloth)

SH= Are you sure, there is fresh cream
SG = ok, maybe. But just a half cup ( hold out cup and hope it's filled to the brim)

SH= How about another slice of my homemade pie
SG = um, no thank you.... So it goes.

I put a pinch of sugar, ok, a whole Tablespoon of raw sugar in my batter. Allow the batter to rest awhile. It is still not quite right. The flavor is ok, If I get the rise they seem heavy, or if they are thinner and about right density, the flavor is not quite up to snuff. I almost exclusively use buttermilk. One should taste a pancake bite after a pat of butter has been smeared around Before adding syrup. It should taste like a Pancake. Not like fried dough. I have used different cooking oils and fat. Make sure the griddle temp is modestly hot so a drop of water skizzles across the pan. Still Not Perfect. ( Throws hands up to the sky). I don't think it's the recipe. It must be me. ( throws hands up to the sky). So it goes.

Last edited:
The best pancake recipe I've ever found is from Fine Cooking magazine. The buttermilk gives it great flavor. The sugar provides just enough sweetness. And these are the fluffiest I've had. The batter is quite thick, so you have to spread it out a little on your griddle, but they really are foolproof.

Here's the link.

Sugar is your answer and let the batter rest for at least 15 minutes before you use it. It will give your levening a chance to work it way through the whole batter, thus higher pancakes. and the sugar needs time to disolve. :angel:

The Chief's Famous Pancake Recipe:

Ingredients:
Dry:
1 cup AP flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbs. sugar
2 tsp. double-acting baking powder

Wet:
1 large egg
3 tbs. cooking oil
3/4 cup milk

Whisk together the dry ingredients in a bowl. Add the wet ingredients, and whisk to form a batter with small lumps. The lumps will disappear while the pancakes are cooking.

Heat a griddel over medium heat until drips of water sizzle on the surface. Rub with a tbs. of cooking oil. Spoon batter onto the pan (I use three tbs. batter per pancake). Cook until bubbles tart to form, then carefully flip. Cook another minute and a half or so, until the other side is lightly browned. Remove and serve immediately.

These pancakes are not gooey, but are melt-in-your-mouth tender and fluffy. Very moist, like a great piece of cake. Top withsoft butter, then buckwheat honey, wild honey, maple syrup, or fruit preserves. My Dad used to love to spoon sausage grease over his pancakes. Everyone thought he was nuts using the hot fat instead of butter. They thought it unhealthy as well. Turns out that pork fat has less cholesterol than does butter. He was on to something.

I do that once in a while. I like the flavor of both. I imagine the hot fat drippings from bacon would work also.

Any way you like to top them, they will take care of your pancake cravings.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I tried the Chief's pancake recipe one day and have never looked back. I stopped buying pancake mixes at the grocery store and always use his. It is the best pancake I have ever made and comes out the same time after time.

LOL - as soon as I saw the title was "Pancakes"... I KNEW Chief would have to come by! The only thing I've changed in his recipe is the oil -( I don't use anything but coconut and EVOO these days - - health choice & allergy-related) so I've switched to using melted coconut oil, which has the same outcome (and no, it doesn't taste like coconut). :)
Thanks for posting your famous recipe, Chief!

ATK's Buttermilk Pancakes

I love ATK's Buttermilk Pancakes. They're light, fluffy, flavorful and have just the right amount of sweet.

I like that it makes extras because these freeze really well. We cheat when reheating them by popping them right into the toaster for quick breakfasts or late night snacks. ;)

Is AP flour plain flour guys?

Also, if you can only get normal baking powder, would you just add 4 teaspoons instead of 4?

The Chief's Famous Pancake Recipe:

Ingredients:
Dry:
1 cup AP flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbs. sugar
2 tsp. double-acting baking powder

Wet:
1 large egg
3 tbs. cooking oil
3/4 cup milk

Whisk together the dry ingredients in a bowl. Add the wet ingredients, and whisk to form a batter with small lumps. The lumps will disappear while the pancakes are cooking.

Heat a griddel over medium heat until drips of water sizzle on the surface. Rub with a tbs. of cooking oil. Spoon batter onto the pan (I use three tbs. batter per pancake). Cook until bubbles tart to form, then carefully flip. Cook another minute and a half or so, until the other side is lightly browned. Remove and serve immediately.

These pancakes are not gooey, but are melt-in-your-mouth tender and fluffy. Very moist, like a great piece of cake. Top withsoft butter, then buckwheat honey, wild honey, maple syrup, or fruit preserves. My Dad used to love to spoon sausage grease over his pancakes. Everyone thought he was nuts using the hot fat instead of butter. They thought it unhealthy as well. Turns out that pork fat has less cholesterol than does butter. He was on to something.

I do that once in a while. I like the flavor of both. I imagine the hot fat drippings from bacon would work also.

Any way you like to top them, they will take care of your pancake cravings.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

PF beat me to the punch, although it's not a race. what does beat me to the punch mean anyway, is it getting to the punch bowl first or like a swing and a miss, no that's baseball and not the same as striking out on a date or ...:rolleyes:

anyway, here's another baking powder comparison.

Baking Powder | The Fresh Loaf

And if you want a treat get yourself some sourdough starter and make some sourdough pancakes.... :yum:

Back
Top Bottom