"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-29-2004, 06:27 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Pancit Palabok

Anyone, anyone ANYONE have a good - true to Pampanga - recipe for this pancit? It's a Filipino noodle dish. My mother only makes the kind with the thick noodles, the recipe I want is for the glass noodles. I've made it before, but it always seems to be missing something.
Thanks, in advance, folks.

Old 10-29-2004, 07:50 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Hi Mree - welcome to Discuss Cooking!

What recipe do you use? That will help maybe in finding the missing ingredient - also, couldn't you just substitute the glass noodles for thicker noodles? Looking forward to seeing your recipe first.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 08:59 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Hi, Mree - I just did a 'google' search for your dish, and came up with a ton of recipes that were all a little different - have you tried that?
Old 10-29-2004, 09:24 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Mree, are you a Filipina? I'm half Filipino. half Puerto Rican.
Old 10-31-2004, 11:08 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Kitchenelf - I know I may be missing an authentic thing here or there, like "annato seed", so I try to make due and it "just ain't the same....".

I've asked my Tia's to help me, but then they start going ooooon in Tagalog and everything is measured in kilos and "handfuls".

Wasabi - Oo! I'm part Filipina, part Castillana and part Irish.

Do you measure the water in your rice by the lines in your fingers???
Old 10-31-2004, 11:19 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mree
Do you measure the water in your rice by the lines in your fingers???
I gotta know about this. Tell me more!
Old 10-31-2004, 11:34 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

Oh Lawdy, you're gonna crack up. Okay - no kidding, this is the ONLY way I know how to make steamed rice (thanks, Mom).

Growing up in my house, my mom being a Spaniard AND an Asian, we ate rice the same way most Americans eat bread or potatoes....WITH EVERY MEAL. That being the case, we always had a rice cooker going.

Anyway, this is how we make rice, simply put: Load up the tin bowl with rice (eyeballing the amount with respect to how many people will be eating AND if you're gonna need alot or a little the next morning for the fried rice that goes with breakfast). Then you hold the bowl under the faucet, rinse the rise, pour out the water, rinse the rice...... you did this about5 or six times until the water runs pretty clear and you've spotted all the unmentionables and removed them (little pebbles, plastic fibers from the bag the rice came in, grass, etc....) side note: when you buy rice by the FIFTY POUND BAG, it does come with its share of "unmentionables".

When the water runs clear and you've strained all the water, you add new water slowly and hold your hand in there so the tip of your finger stands on the table of rice and you stop filling with water with the water line meets up with the top line on your middle finger.

Now - if you've added sticky rice? You gotta go to the SECOND line on your middle finger.

Real scientific huh? *giggle*
Old 10-31-2004, 11:51 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I love it! thanks for the explanation. I used to have a rice cooker, but it seemed to be just as fast if not faster to make it in a pan on the stove. Maybe we don't eat enough of it to warrant a bigger steamer.

The "home" techniques for cooking seem to becoming a lost art and I for one think they are usually just as good as "modern" ones. Seems like our moms and grandmas did pretty well without them!
Old 10-31-2004, 12:50 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

I have to agree, Mudbug. That's why I really am wondering how come some of my dishes are just "missin' that thang", you know?

Maybe the ingredient I'm missing isn't an ingredient after all......I need to start measuring more in "handfuls" than cups, I would imagine.
Old 10-31-2004, 04:37 PM   #10
Sous Chef

The way I was taught was to measure the depth of the rice and put that same amount of water OVER the rice. In other words, an inch of rice is covered with an inch of water. This means you're actually using more water than rice, since water fits between the grains.