Panic Attack...Almost

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

htc

Head Chef
Last night I thought I had lost my notebook with all my handwritten secret recipes! I was in such a panic, myself and DH were looking all over the apartment for it. I tried to stay calm and methodically look everywhere. He was in a panic too, cuz he knows that if I can't find my notes, he's not getting anymore of the dishes that were listed in there. :)

So this led me to think, should I be keeping these recipes and secrets somewhere else? What happens if this were ever to happen again? And I permanently loose the book?

How do you keep track of family recipes? Would love some ideas...thx!

Obviously you have a computer, so how about on disk? I keep many of mine that way - they are easy to email someone, print out, modify, and cut & paste. I also have them all organized in different categories and headings in the computer so they are easy to find. I have had no major losses to date!

I keep mine on the computer, but with my favorite ones I print out and put in a huge 3 ring notebook with dividers. It's hard to lose this 4" notebook. It always stays on top of the frige.

I keep mine in a number of places. I have them on my computer. I also have them in my palm pilot. Some of you may remember that I lost all the info on my palm pilot not too long ago though. Some recipes I only had there (had not taken the time to transfer them to the computer) so those are lost forever. I also have a three ring binder that has most of my tried and true favorites. Last but, not least I have them on a CD backup. Finally I do not have any recipes that I keep secret. I get a lot of job in sharing a recipe that someone liked enough to ask for, so if it is one that I have shared, I can alway ask the friend I gave it to for a copy.

I think I will backup my info on computer and disk. I tend to like to refer to my hand written copy. This usually jogs my memory of what was told to me, or experiences I had in past attempts to make something.

Ok, so I guess I only have one "secret" recipe that I guard. It's my mom's recipe for bao dough. I've often thought I could patent it and make millions...heheh :LOL: or ten bucks.

htc, you should jot that "secret recipe" down and put it in, like the Family Bible....it would be terrible to lose such a piece of family history...

Take it from me, when "Auntie" passed on in the early '70's, there was no one that had the reicpe or learning for her unreplaceable scones...

Lifter

Back
Top Bottom