"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 10-28-2007, 08:42 PM   #1
Head Chef
Send a message via AIM to keltin
Panko Bread Crumbs/Asian Market

Since joining DC, Iíve heard a LOT about how great Panko Bread crumbs are. Never knew what they were till I came here. Today, during our shopping routine, we went by one of the Asian Markets in town to look for them. This market is incredibly well stocked and stuffed wall to wall with all kinds of goodies; Iíve been to it before, but didnít know about Panko bread crumbs back then.

I ended up asking the owner where the panko bread crumbs were. He took me to an aisle with several to choose from. He pointed to the Panko Honey bread crumbs and then to another regular flavored brand. Since I wanted regular, I went with that ($2.79).

While there, I picked up a huge bottle of Soy sauce for $2.99, and I have to say, it is some of the best tasting soy sauce Iíve ever hadÖ..and he had five other brands (way more expensive) to choose from! He had hot chili oil, canned fish, dried shrooms, homemade kimchi, squid, sliced jelly fish, dried shrimp, and so, so many things to choose from.

I went small today since this weeks menu had only one stir-fry dish (stir-fry pork and veggies), but I see spending a LOT more time at this incredible market.

Iíd read the ingredients of these items to youÖÖbut I canít read the language!

OH.....anyone know the difference between regular soy and "Soup Soy"? He had "Soup Soy" (yellow label) there too, but like many things there, I've no idea what it is or what it is for.

Panko Bread Crumbs

Soy Sauce, Ramen type noodles, and a bar of soap (DW HAD to have that soap....smells incredible).

Rice Stick noodle for my Mai Fun recipe!

keltin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 11:58 PM   #2
Senior Cook
Asian Markets are a little Gem.. I am going to seek out those Panko Honey crumbs for my Breaded Pork Tenderloin. It sounds like just the ticket...

Last time I went I spent about $20.00 more than I planned..

candelbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 12:06 AM   #3
The Dude Abides
Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Here on Oahu, the markets are PACKED with all sorts of great things to experiment with, I love it!
TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 05:31 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef
It's a great place to shop. Visit more than one. They are all different and full of great stuff!
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:31 AM   #5
Executive Chef
Asian Markets are great fun. I sometimes end up buying things, then have to figure out what they are when I get home! I've been using panko instead of bread crumbs in a lot of dishes. Haven't seen or heard of the honey ones, will have to watch for them! Thx.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
Loprraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 04:27 PM   #6
Master Chef
I like Panko for certain things, but you do have to be VERY careful about the heat of your oil, because Panko crumbs seem to burn at the speed of light if the oil is too hot. I learned this the hard way via fried oysters.

Oh, & I could be wrong, but I believe "Soup" Soy is the same as "Light" soy sauce, such as Kikkoman or Japanese soy sauce, which is most often used as a soup seasoning. Stronger Chinese soy sauces like dark or mushroom soys are more often used either very lightly in stirfries, or in braises &/or pickles.
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 04:43 PM   #7
Master Chef
There are way more varieties of Japanese soy sauce than Chinese soy sauce. I would guess that Breezy is right and you have a lighter kind of table soy sauce on your hands.

Next time pick up a bottle of Healthy Boy Thin Soy Sauce and compare. It's my favorite by far for its taste.
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 05:14 PM   #8
Master Chef
Buying a good quality lighter soy is actually good. Dark Soy & Mushroom Soy, both of which I have, are very intense & not as workable in different recipes as the lighter soys. They last for years though, which is good, because I don't use them that often - lol!!

I buy light soy by the gallon because I use it so frequently.
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:54 PM   #9
Head Chef
Send a message via AIM to keltin
The soy I bought was regular soy, and had a red label. The "Soup Soy" was made by the same company, but had a yellow label. That coloring could just be their convention? So, by light I take you mean lighter in flavor? The soup soy I saw was just as dark colored as regular soy! So I imagine it's a flavor thing? It was weird, because I’ve never heard of “soup soy” before. Then again, I couldn’t read the labels on most of the soy bottle anyway!
keltin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:07 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Sounds as though you've been bitten by the Asian market "bug," keltin. Unfortunately we don't have any in our rural area. I buy my panko at World Market.

I wouldn't be without panko and have never had any difficulty with the temp when cooking foods that have been breaded with it. Maybe I'm just chicken when it comes to using my "knobs" as Emeril says. Not really.

I made some eggplant parmigiana last week and breaded the eggplant in panko before baking it and it turned out awesome. Even after baking in a sauce with cheese the crispyness was apparent.

I have a huge canister of panko in my pantry and almost had a panko "crisis" about 2 weeks ago when the canister was down to 1/4. Whew! Trotted right to World Market and bought 3 bags. The bags are 8 ounces and we pay $1.29 for each.

"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote