Panko Bread Crumbs/Asian Market

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keltin

Washing Up
Since joining DC, I’ve heard a LOT about how great Panko Bread crumbs are. Never knew what they were till I came here. Today, during our shopping routine, we went by one of the Asian Markets in town to look for them. This market is incredibly well stocked and stuffed wall to wall with all kinds of goodies; I’ve been to it before, but didn’t know about Panko bread crumbs back then.

I ended up asking the owner where the panko bread crumbs were. He took me to an aisle with several to choose from. He pointed to the Panko Honey bread crumbs and then to another regular flavored brand. Since I wanted regular, I went with that ($2.79).

While there, I picked up a huge bottle of Soy sauce for $2.99, and I have to say, it is some of the best tasting soy sauce I’ve ever had…..and he had five other brands (way more expensive) to choose from! He had hot chili oil, canned fish, dried shrooms, homemade kimchi, squid, sliced jelly fish, dried shrimp, and so, so many things to choose from.

I went small today since this weeks menu had only one stir-fry dish (stir-fry pork and veggies), but I see spending a LOT more time at this incredible market.

I’d read the ingredients of these items to you……but I can’t read the language!

OH.....anyone know the difference between regular soy and "Soup Soy"? He had "Soup Soy" (yellow label) there too, but like many things there, I've no idea what it is or what it is for.:LOL:

Panko Bread Crumbs
2qauwpu.jpg

Soy Sauce, Ramen type noodles, and a bar of soap (DW HAD to have that soap....smells incredible).

w0pdoo.jpg

Rice Stick noodle for my Mai Fun recipe!
fm1iz5.jpg

Asian Markets are a little Gem.. I am going to seek out those Panko Honey crumbs for my Breaded Pork Tenderloin. It sounds like just the ticket...

Last time I went I spent about $20.00 more than I planned..

-Brad

It's a great place to shop. Visit more than one. They are all different and full of great stuff!

Asian Markets are great fun. I sometimes end up buying things, then have to figure out what they are when I get home! I've been using panko instead of bread crumbs in a lot of dishes. Haven't seen or heard of the honey ones, will have to watch for them! Thx.

I like Panko for certain things, but you do have to be VERY careful about the heat of your oil, because Panko crumbs seem to burn at the speed of light if the oil is too hot. I learned this the hard way via fried oysters.

Oh, & I could be wrong, but I believe "Soup" Soy is the same as "Light" soy sauce, such as Kikkoman or Japanese soy sauce, which is most often used as a soup seasoning. Stronger Chinese soy sauces like dark or mushroom soys are more often used either very lightly in stirfries, or in braises &/or pickles.

Last edited:
There are way more varieties of Japanese soy sauce than Chinese soy sauce. I would guess that Breezy is right and you have a lighter kind of table soy sauce on your hands.

Next time pick up a bottle of Healthy Boy Thin Soy Sauce and compare. It's my favorite by far for its taste.

Buying a good quality lighter soy is actually good. Dark Soy & Mushroom Soy, both of which I have, are very intense & not as workable in different recipes as the lighter soys. They last for years though, which is good, because I don't use them that often - lol!!

I buy light soy by the gallon because I use it so frequently.

The soy I bought was regular soy, and had a red label. The "Soup Soy" was made by the same company, but had a yellow label. That coloring could just be their convention? So, by light I take you mean lighter in flavor? The soup soy I saw was just as dark colored as regular soy! So I imagine it's a flavor thing? It was weird, because I’ve never heard of “soup soy” before. Then again, I couldn’t read the labels on most of the soy bottle anyway! :ROFLMAO:

Sounds as though you've been bitten by the Asian market "bug," keltin. Unfortunately we don't have any in our rural area. I buy my panko at World Market.

I wouldn't be without panko and have never had any difficulty with the temp when cooking foods that have been breaded with it. Maybe I'm just chicken when it comes to using my "knobs" as Emeril says. Not really.

I made some eggplant parmigiana last week and breaded the eggplant in panko before baking it and it turned out awesome. Even after baking in a sauce with cheese the crispyness was apparent.

I have a huge canister of panko in my pantry and almost had a panko "crisis" about 2 weeks ago when the canister was down to 1/4. Whew! Trotted right to World Market and bought 3 bags. The bags are 8 ounces and we pay $1.29 for each.

I just checked my bag and it is 450grams = 16 ounces. So, It seems I paid a fair price since that is just a bit over what you pay for 16 ounces Katie. And YEP, I'm bitten by the Asian Market bug. Love it! There are a few more Asian Markets in town, so I plan on hitting those as well to see what they have to offer! This is cool!

Oh, and I fried some chicken tenders last night in the Panko bread crumbs. INCREDIBLE! It's unreal how much of a difference they make. We are absolutely hooked!

Did some fried green tomatoes in panko this summer. Thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Wait until you try breading some pork chops in panko. Pure piggy delight.

Fried green tomatoes....and pork! Oh MY! I can't wait to try all of this! I'm so glad you guys here at DC advocated using Panko bread crumbs!

It's always fun to read about someone's first trip into the Asian market, as it reminds me so much of my first trip there. Now- the Asian markets are the only places I go to buy my rice, my chinese flat noodles, soy, rice wine vinegar, and many other ingredients. Asian markets often carry a lot of produce that is used in Asia but isn't available here often.

I go there and can buy dried shiitakes by the pound for unbelievable prices, in additoin to dried chiles, and an unimaginable variety of premade sauces, chili paste, etc. It's really incredible how much great stuff they can pack into such tiny stores.

We have a HUGE Asian (actually, "International") market about an hour's drive away, & dear husband always has to accompany me to be the "voice of reason" - lol!!!! Otherwise, I could easily drop untold dollars there in a heartbeat.

In addition to aisles & aisles of canned, bottled, & dry goods in unbelievable variety, their refrigerated/freezer sections are like a world food tour (especially the meats & seafood). The produce department fills about a third of the store, & is just as mind-boggling; & the seafood department hosts tanks of live eels, tilapia, & an iced case of fish, many of which I'd probably have to look up to identify before I thought of buying them - lol!!

Since a favorite Japanese restaurant of ours is across the street, we'll sometimes take an after-dinner walk-thru of the market just as if we were touring a museum or something - lol!!

I am a big fan of my local "Saigon Market"! I can spend a long time in there browsing,
and have become a regular customer.
Bean sprouts, fresh herbs, fresh veggies (limited selection), fresh peppers...
all for about half the price. Dried shiitakes and fungus for dirt cheap!
Fish sauce! I am addicted, nuff said.
Noodles... $1.99 at Kroger's, 79 cents there.

There is a huge Asian supermarket on the other side of town that has an amazing fresh seafood section. Rows upon rows of big white coolers, all stuffed with things from the sea. I admit, I like my fish filleted not flopping, LOL!

Oh, I can get canned coffee drinks there for $1.00, same thing in other markets.. $2.99!

Remember this too.. if you are cooking for lactose intolerant friends, Panko crumbs are lactose free(at least all I have seen)...

Not meaning to change the subject too much but when I was doing Atkins, I learned that ground up pork rinds (Gratons, Chicharones) make a really good breading. Sounds weird but it works.

Not meaning to change the subject too much but when I was doing Atkins, I learned that ground up pork rinds (Gratons, Chicharones) make a really good breading. Sounds weird but it works.

Wow, breading with bacon flavor built in....

Back
Top Bottom