"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-29-2012, 02:13 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Pantry organization

I have a lot of extra bottles of vinegar, olive oil, flour, etc. I don't have a lot of kitchen cupboards. I had solved the problem of where to store the pans, etc., that I don't use daily, but still had this issue of all these extra staples (I buy extra when they are on sale). I realized this week that I have two empty closets in two bedrooms. I also have a bunch of 4 l (gallon) jars that I have been bringing home from work. And, who designed that cupboard over the fridge? Today I labeled the cupboard door with my label maker so I know what is in that cupboard and filled the cleaned, dried jars (I let the jars dry for a week and then dried them again with my hair dryer) with dried pasta, dried beans, rice, flour, cereal, grains. Labeled them and put them on the top shelf of one of the empty closets in one of the spare bedrooms, as well as the extra bottles of vinegar, olive oil, etc. Out of sight, but hopefully not out of mind. How do you manage storing extra stuff in your pantry?

Old 12-29-2012, 02:17 PM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Stacked all over the place...I really need to get into the pantry and clean out a bunch of things.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:25 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Stacked all over the place...I really need to get into the pantry and clean out a bunch of things.
That was how things were getting around here--I couldn't find the dried black beans, so I went out and bought more. Well, I found them--they were in that impossible to reach without a chair to stand on cupboard over the fridge. Now I have lots of dried black beans...probably 3 - 4 lb.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:25 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Every time we stock up on specials, it gets put where it fits. Use the Columbus method when looking. Discover it first and then land on it!
Old 12-29-2012, 02:30 PM   #5
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

MY problem is my can pantry, I need to stop listening to Shrek when he says he wants something. I buy it for him and then he never cooks it, he knows I'm not going to eat it. Things like pork and beans, spam, campbell's soups, etc.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:32 PM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
That was how things were getting around here--I couldn't find the dried black beans, so I went out and bought more. Well, I found them--they were in that impossible to reach without a chair to stand on cupboard over the fridge. Now I have lots of dried black beans...probably 3 - 4 lb.
That's how I lost my tapioca...
Old 12-29-2012, 02:33 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
MY problem is my can pantry, I need to stop listening to Shrek when he says he wants something. I buy it for him and then he never cooks it, he knows I'm not going to eat it. Things like pork and beans, spam, campbell's soups, etc.
Fortunately, I don't have a lot of canned goods--but I do have a lot of home-canned stuff. I have found that writing on the big freezer with a whiteboard marker has helped keep track of what is in that freezer. The downside has been that often what I want is still at the bottom and I have to take everything out to get to what I want.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:34 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
That's how I lost my tapioca...
People who cook would NEVER design a kitchen with an impossible to reach cupboard over the fridge...
Old 12-29-2012, 02:37 PM   #9
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Fortunately, I don't have a lot of canned goods--but I do have a lot of home-canned stuff. I have found that writing on the big freezer with a whiteboard marker has helped keep track of what is in that freezer. The downside has been that often what I want is still at the bottom and I have to take everything out to get to what I want.
I fixed the freezer problem. All small packages and like items are in bins. Much easier to move them around when I want something. Hamburger bin, Beef Steak and Roast, Pork Bin, Chicken Bin...they are in different colors so I don't even have to look in them.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:33 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
People who cook would NEVER design a kitchen with an impossible to reach cupboard over the fridge...
I put large and seldom-used items up there, like my roasting pan, large serving dishes and baskets, etc. Limiting where I put food helps prevent over-buying and losing it. Also, I have lazy Susans in some cupboards to help make stuff easier to find.