"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-25-2009, 05:10 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Seems most folks have a list of some kind on the fridge or otherwise centrally located too. I just need to make sure stuff gets recorded on there.
A "needs" / "out of" list is a good tool along with an inventory. When it comes time to write your order (grocery list) the needs, out of items get first priority.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:53 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
You cannot buy properly if you don't know what you have...Take an inventory (on your blank grocery list) Then make your list and go buy what you need....It works perfectly!!!...

If you take an inventory of what you have on hand, that doesn't tell you what's not there. I mean, if you have 50 different items (or more) in your pantry are you going to remember you are missing a can of chipotle in adobo or file' powder, or whatever?

If you had a master list of all the things you ever keep in your pantry and compare your inventory to it, that might tell you something as long as the master list is up to date.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:33 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
If you had a master list of all the things you ever keep in your pantry and compare your inventory to it, that might tell you something as long as the master list is up to date.
Your "Master List" IS your inventory/buying guide (grocery list) It's one document...one piece of paper. It's list everything you carry/use...You inventory using it..You make your order (grocery list) based on what you have on hand, and what your anticipated needs and wants will be in the coming days...week etc. Kept up to date it will tell you what you need to buy when you buy...go grocery shopping.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:50 PM   #14
Master Chef

This is interesting, because I had my cleaning woman up-date my basement inventory today. Lawdy, I've got so much stuff I need to use up! That's besides what's in the pantry upstairs.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:37 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Your "Master List" IS your inventory/buying guide (grocery list) It's one document...one piece of paper. It's list everything you carry/use...You inventory using it..You make your order (grocery list) based on what you have on hand, and what your anticipated needs and wants will be in the coming days...week etc. Kept up to date it will tell you what you need to buy when you buy...go grocery shopping.

Got it. To me inventory is what you have in hand, not what you should have. So I understand what you meant.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:14 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Got it. To me inventory is what you have in hand, not what you should have. So I understand what you meant.
Ahmmmm Inventory IS what you have in/on hand...Don't think I did, or certainly didn't mean to indicate otherwise........

Old 09-26-2009, 02:04 PM   #17
Head Chef

In my head, I have a short list of pantry & frig items that I buy every day. A short list of items to buy week's end. A short list to buy start of each month. Blindly irregardless of actual inventory, knowing that, on average, I am right about our pace of consumption. Shortages/excesses happen, but like any retail store, for my volume staples, I wouldn't inventory and phone in every order. I'd instead just set up a delivery schedule.

I also keep a digital voice recorder in the kitchen - memoing myself for depleted pantry items. Schools today do not teach kids how to write with a pen/pencil; they go straight to keyboards. They won't help you with a magnetic note pad, but they'll be more than happy to scream into a voice recorder, "You're such a goop, Mom, we're out of Fruit Loops, again!"
Old 09-26-2009, 02:39 PM   #18
Everymom

OMG...still laughing about this one. Thanks chopsticks you are SO right. Voice recorder is going to show up in our kitchen now.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:25 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Luckily for me I am always trying out new recipes and for that reason my shopping list is pretty easy, it's just whatever I need for my new dish. Then there are the staples that I pick up whenever I am out like butter, cream, chicken stock etc. I also like to fill the fridge with fresh citrus and herbs, the pantry has all the basics as well: canned tomatoes, paste, some beans and evaporated milk. We do keep a list for milk and eggs, household stuff too. Right now we have way way too much food in the cabinets and freezer so I am trying that weeklong challenge where you only cook with stuff you already have....sounds tough.
Old 09-26-2009, 04:25 PM   #20
Master Chef

Repeat after me: The Computer Is Your Friend. Lol!!

Here's what I started doing years ago & it's yet to fail me.

As Bob said, keep an inventory. You don't have to be anal about it, but do try to be as anal as you can - lol! I keep mine in a Word document on the computer. I list what I have sitting fresh in the fridge (dairy, veggies, leftovers, etc., etc.), what's in the freezer, what's in the pantry - all with amounts of each - i.e. 2 lg. cans whole Ital. tomatoes, 3 quarts chick. broth, 2pkges. boneless skinless chicken breasts, etc., etc. I don't bother putting dates on my list because having the lists alone allows me to use things up quickly enough that dates aren't necessary.

With all that info always at hand, it's easy to make up a meal plan every week, which forms the heading topper for my shopping list. Every time I put a meal in my heading, I put any/all ingredients I need for that meal in the shopping list below, which is also broken down into appropriate headings (Meat/Fish, Vegetables, Frozen, Canned, etc., etc.).

I know it may sound complicated/anal/idiotic, but it WORKS. And once you have the initial stuff set up, it's unbelievably easy to keep up to date & makes shopping & meal planning SO DARN EASY. No more forgotten "science experiments" in the back of the fridge or forgotten freezer-burned meat at the back of the freezer. No more buying yet another can or package of something that you already have 4 of back at home.

And after every grocery shopping trip, it takes me about 5 minutes if not less to update everything. For someone like me who has gaggles of pets/livestock to care for & a husband with a long commute & sometimes even longer working hours, those 5 minutes at a time are a livesaver.