"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-21-2013, 09:27 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Use whatever you want. As long as there are less plates to wash....lol

Old 06-22-2013, 12:52 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

i remember my mom using those wicker rattan paper plate holders, and doing a quick soak after use to get rid of goo.

she also used to hand wash plastic utensils. she was "green" before it was popular. lol.

umm, whisk, isn't using 2 cheap paper plates the same as using 1 thicker one?

i had the epitome of lazy breakfasts this morning: hot dogs nuked on a paper plate, then stuffed in hd buns with mustard. served on the same - now greasy plate with a 500 ml plastic bottle of water

Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:17 AM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I love the thought of it, I just can't bring myself to spend money on something I intend to throw away!

TP is about as wild as I get!
I'm the same way. Plus, I don't like the feel of forking food off a paper plate. We even use cloth napkins here because I like them.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:04 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Perhaps we're not doing this right. We use ordinary forks and knives, not plastic, with our paperware. :))

Nothing wrong with that
Old 06-22-2013, 04:05 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Pretty much. We had burgers and chips. Hands on. No dishes other than the frying pan, a knife and a cutting board.
Too easy
Old 06-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #16
Executive Chef

When we were still raising our 5 kids we had paper plate night. They thought it was great fun and I thought it was a great break so it worked out well all the way around. And yes, plastic forks if they were needed.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:35 PM   #17
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I use the Dixie Ultra, they last several days of toast and sandwiches. We use them daily, helps with the two people in this household who hate to do dishes.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

The only time I use my regular plates is if I am putting food on them that is going to leave my home. Then when I get it back it has already been washed. Paper plates and even bowls for me. Every day. But I do use my regular knives and forks. I have two complete sets for service for eight. I do wash the pans as I dirty them, but the silverware piles up until I run out. I hate to do the silverware.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:22 PM   #19
Executive Chef

'"mm, whisk, isn't using 2 cheap paper plates the same as using 1 thicker one? "

Tis true. But I seldom buy "quality" paper plates. It's why they are called "cheap paper plates" Doesn't mean you have to throw out the bottom plate liner if it is dry and nothing soaked through. Usually, if it's a steak or pork chop kind of thing and needs to rest befores serving, it's already on a regular plate, and I just use that.

When I am outside grilling, I either use a reg plate or platter to transport foods back and forth. I tried the paper plate trick, but either they or I are too woogly wobbly for safe moving things about. Then of course, you need one plate for raw food and a clean plate for cooked food. I guess I do my fair share of dishes. I don't have a dishwasher and I am my own clean up crew.

Interesting. I have 2+ kitchen cupboards full of various dinner ware different patterns. Plus the buffet and china cabinet in the dining room are full of "good dishes" and vintage or depression glass mostly in the china cab. I like to use the depression glass sometimes, even just for myself, not just save it for special occasions which don't occur often enough.

I am more into the convenience depending on what I cooked and how the mood strikes me. Informal everyday and put your feet up after dinner. I should get up and go for a walk actually.