"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-07-2006, 04:59 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Paraffin in chocolate coverings??

Gobo's post on peanutbutter balls got me remembering a similar recipe but with coconut. In that recipe the chocolate covering had a small-ish quantity of parafin wax added to it. I've made it and eaten it made that way and am still alive to tell the tale, but was wondering ...

... what's today's take on this? Is this a traditional ingredient in chocolate coverings??

Old 12-07-2006, 06:44 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

Commonly done in order to harden the covering. No harm.

Old 12-07-2006, 07:40 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Ditto what Gretchen said...It is a food grade wax...Having been used many many moons for candies, canning/preserving fields...Next time you are in the grocery...check out cucumbers, and apples with a very thin layer of wax, and rutabagas with a heavycoat of wax.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:05 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
I use parafin in my chocolate covering of peanut butter bon bons. One hint, DO NOT while still wet, all you will taste is wax (ask me how I know!) Once dry, you can't taste anything but chocolate! Yum!
Old 12-07-2006, 11:25 AM   #5
Senior Cook

When the military was first in the middle east for Desert Shield/Desert Storm, the chocolate shipped to the soldiers had wax added so it wouldn't melt in the high temps.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:38 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Gee, this doesn't sound very good. For sure, parafin wax is nothing like a poison. The human body cannot break it down. If it passes out, all is well. However, if it coats anything along the gastrointestinal tract, it's a different ball of wax altogether and one I surely wouldn't like to tangle with. It is bad enough to have to scrap it or wipe it out off supermarket fruit and vegetables.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:34 PM   #7
Head Chef

boufa06: I'm pretty sure the key word here is moderation. One thing that will keep that gastrointestinal tract free of bacteria and disease is black walnut. It will kill the stomach flu and pin worms. One teaspoon of extract taken orally. No symptoms-just as a precaution? Take some one or twice a year.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:16 PM   #8
Senior Cook

I agree that it is okay in moderation. Anyone remember those Wax lips, or Wax Bottles filled with sugar water? Those are technically edible. No one who favors fine flavored foods would want to, but it's not going to kill you..

-Brad
Old 12-07-2006, 08:48 PM   #9
Master Chef

I have a coconut recipe that is covered in chocolate mixed with parafin. It's good. I use 1/4 lb with 2- 12oz packages of chocolate chips.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:35 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by candelbc
I agree that it is okay in moderation. Anyone remember those Wax lips, or Wax Bottles filled with sugar water? Those are technically edible. No one who favors fine flavored foods would want to, but it's not going to kill you..

-Brad
lol! I remembered the wax bottles but I had forgotten about those lips. I think there was also a black mustache. Those lips may be down there somewhere with a shiny new dime and a batch of glue. At least we had some idea what we were eating back then.