Parkin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mad Cook

Master Chef
Decided it was time to make parkin* and treacle toffee for Bonfire Night (November 5th - probably the nearest we got to a revolution). Went to the local supermarket for oatmeal and black treacle (like molasses). Two weeks before Bonfire Night, mark you, and parkin and treacle toffee are traditional, they don't sell oatmeal at all and they had forgotten to order black treacle and had run out!

*Parkin is a cake made from (among other ingredients) ginger, oatmeal, black treacle and golden syrup. It needs to be made a week or two in advance so it can acquire the right degree of stickiness. Yum.

On bonfire night we used to have a bonfire among several neighbours. The Dads let off the fireworks and the Mums produced parkin, treacle toffee, mugs of hot home-made soup and jacket spuds with lashings of butter. When we were small, in the light of no evidence at all, we were convinced that the spuds where cooked in the bonfire! I had read about roasting marshmallows on the fire in "The Bobbsey Twins" but my Mother said it was far too dangerous.

Nowadays the amateur bonfire and fireworks are considered dangerous so most people go to community ones organised but the Scouts or the Rotary Club or some such organisation. Nowhere near as much fun.

"Remember, remember the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot.
I see no reason, why gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot."

When I was young in the 1950s, Roman Catholic children were still not permitted to take part in bonfire parties due to the perceived sectarian nature of the celebration. (The Gunpowder Plot was a Catholic plot in 1605 to over-throw the government of the day) In fact the bonfire in winter celebrations went back much further than 1605 into the mists of time and paganism.

gunpow1.gif
The Conspirators

Last edited:
What a fun and interesting post, Mad Cook. Thanks very much. Do you happen to know where the name 'Parkin' came from?

Not heard of this celebration. Sounds like fun. Anything with fire. We can have bonfires in our back yards again in our city, legally. If we have a fire pit.

Hope you find some treacle.

Last edited:
I used to love Bonfire Night too. But it seems to have become less of an event these days.

Way back when I was a lass, there used to also be a tradition called "Penny for the Guy". (Named after Guy Fawkes - one of the conspirators). Kids would make up dummies of "Guy" using bits of old clothing and stuffed with rags or whatever they could find. Then they would set up on a street corner and basically beg for money!

The bonfires back then would normally also sport a "Guy" dummy on top of the pile. (Possibly not very politically correct these days as you don't see it any more but back when we were kids we just thought it was fun.)

Pity you're not local MC - I could have dropped you off a tin of black treacle! :LOL:

Not heard of this celebration. Sounds like fun. Anything with fire. We can have bonfires in our back yards again in our city, legally. If we have a fire pit.

Whisk, I remember as a child, raking leaves into a pile and burning them. The smell of Autumn. :angel:

Treacle is essentially the same as Molasses. Having had both, I can say that Molasses is just a bit sweeter. But I think molasses is a good substitute.

The real trick to making Parkin in this country is finding Golden Syrup. We don't really have the equivalent in the US, although a web search indicates that World Market sells Lyle's brand. I may have to go check that out.

I did a family involved project when I was in cub scouts. We had a taffy pull. A molasses taffy pull.:mad: The stuff tasted awfull to me at that age. Bonfires were always a tradition through out my scouting endevors!:angel:

Treacle is essentially the same as Molasses. Having had both, I can say that Molasses is just a bit sweeter. But I think molasses is a good substitute.

The real trick to making Parkin in this country is finding Golden Syrup. We don't really have the equivalent in the US, although a web search indicates that World Market sells Lyle's brand. I may have to go check that out.

I recall Golden Syrup from summers in Canada. Good stuff.

Now this is strange, apparently you can order Lyle's from Walmart. Don't know if they carry it in-store. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lyle-s-Golden-Syrup-11-oz-Pack-of-12/17182633

Last edited:
What a fun and interesting post, Mad Cook. Thanks very much. Do you happen to know where the name 'Parkin' came from?
No idea. I think I'll have to try and find out.

EDIT:- Not much on Google although "Parkin" is a fairly common Yorkshire surname so perhaps the first people to sell it in a shop were called Parkin but that's only a wild guess.

Last edited:
Dawg - That wouldn't be Corn Syrup would it? I've never heard of Golden Syrup.

RJ, pretty sure it was called Golden Syrup, but that was many moons ago. We kept it on the table, it was in a tin, as I recall. I'd eat it by the spoonful. Used it on cereal, pancakes, waffles.

Last edited:
RJ, pretty sure it was called Golden Syrup, but that was many moons ago. We kept it on the table, it was in a tin, as I recall. I'd eat it by the spoonful. Used it on cereal, pancakes, waffles.
Yes, it would be golden syrup, made by Tate & Lyle and other companies (T&L is the best flavour). It's a by-product of the sugar refining process. It doesn't taste like corn syrup but I suppose if flavour wasn't too important you could substitute. Alternatively you could (I suppose) you could use maple syrup although the maple syrup I have is much thinner than golden syrup.

Apart from using it in baking I like it on my porridge.

(By the way, Brits, I managed to find light and dark corn syrup in Tesco and Aldi recently)

Last edited:
Yoo-hoo, Tinlizzie - re parkin recipe

I've had my head in boxes most of today, looking for the parkin recipe and several other things. I think it must be among the stuff in storage. Anyway, I need it tomorrow for my baking day on Sunday so I'll go and have a root about for it in the morning. Fortunately the boxes in storage are all labelled as to contents. I have a list of other things I need.

Dawg - That wouldn't be Corn Syrup would it? I've never heard of Golden Syrup.

Golden Syrup. I wasn't able to find it at World Market. I could've ordered it online I suppose, but my wife is in London this week, so I just had her pick some up (along with several other yummy items we can't easily get over here, e.g. Watkins Mushroom Ketchup).

So I will be making Parkin on Sunday. :)

img_1313462_0_6d34dd21710f6229bee7a1ba4b87161f.jpg

Last edited:
Golden Syrup. I wasn't able to find it at World Market. I could've ordered it online I suppose, but my wife is in London this week, so I just had her pick some up (along with several other yummy items we can't easily get over here, e.g. Watkins Mushroom Ketchup).

So I will be making Parkin on Sunday. :)

img_1313537_0_6d34dd21710f6229bee7a1ba4b87161f.jpg
Now there's dedication to your craft - sending your wife all the way to London for golden syrup.:yum:

I've had my head in boxes most of today, looking for the parkin recipe and several other things. I think it must be among the stuff in storage. Anyway, I need it tomorrow for my baking day on Sunday so I'll go and have a root about for it in the morning. Fortunately the boxes in storage are all labelled as to contents. I have a list of other things I need.
Suddenly had a brain wave on the way home from the stables and I've found the recipe in a box in the garage. Here we go

Bonfire Night Parkin
100g butter (or margarine. Old recipes often used lard)
100g soft brown sugar
100g black treacle or molasses
100g golden syrup
150g rolled oats or medium oat meal
150g plain flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
3 teaspoons of ground ginger
Large pinch of grated nutmeg
Small pinch of salt
2 medium eggs
2 tablespoons of milk
Line an 8inch square baking tin/pan with baking paper and preheat your oven to 300F/150C.
In a saucepan, melt together the sugar, butter, treacle & syrup Using a low heat so the ingredients melt together without coming to the boil, once melted remove from the heat and set aside to cool a little while you mix together the oats, flour, baking powder, ginger, nutmeg & salt in a large bowl, then pour in the warm liquids from the pan and mix gently to combine.
In a small bowl whisk the eggs and milk together, then add into the large bowl little at a time and again mix thoroughly. Pour the mixture into the lined baking tin and place in the middle of the oven for 30-45 minutes until the cake is firm to the touch. The operative word is “pour” - don’t panic that the mixture is too runny. You may even need a little more milk.
Leave to cool in the baking tin/pan before placing in a tin or airtight container where the cake will keep for up to a week or even longer. It’s usually ok at room temp. It’s essential to be patient as the cooked cake needs maturing time to acquire the right degree of sticky moistness.
N.B. our plain flour is less strong than your All Purpose flour. I have read that you can add a little cornflour/cornstarch to AP flour to approximate British “plain” flour but I’ve never tried this so can’t vouch for it.

Back
Top Bottom