partially cook bacon or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I've marinated some large scallops and I want to wrap them in bacon and then broil. Would it be better to partially cook the bacon or wrap the scallops with raw? I would hate to ruin the scallops..What would you suggest?

thanks,
kadesma:)

I'd think you would probably have to partially cook it first as scallops won't take that long in the oven. I'd think the scallops would tend to be overcooked if you cooked them until the bacon was done. But someone thats made them this way before may be able to answer this better.

Thanks Sizz,
that's what I was thinking, but, I was'nt sure and wanted to hear from someone else ..I sure hope they trun out, the dran things cost and arm and a leg:LOL:

kadesma

You do need to partially cook the bacon a bit - but just enough so it's still flexible, NOT to the crisp stage. With sea scallops you'll probably need one slice of bacon for every 2 scallops. Partially cook the bacon & let it cool/drain on paper towels until cool enough to handle, then cut in half crosswise, wrap a piece around each scallop & secure with a toothpick.

Depending on scallop size, broil for about 4-5 minutes on each side, using tongs to carefully turn them over, or until scallops are opaque throughout.

Thanks Breezy,
That's what I'll do..You're a life saver:)

kadesma

SizzlininIN said:
I'm sure they'll be delicious. Whatcha going serve with them?
We are having pork and tomatillo burritos, rice, cowboy beans and chips and salsa, I'd recently had a scallop and bacon appy, saw some beauties yesterday while shopping and added those to the appy list. I marinated them in some ponzu, lime juice and olive oil, wrapped them in the bacon and have my fingers crossed:LOL: For dessert I grabbed some of thse waffle cups, am filling with brownie bits and ice cream then topping with whipped cream and one of them gets a candle so everyone can sing the birthday song to my oldest daughter..Then dessert and song part was her oldest son Cade's idea:LOL:

kadesma

Ohhh sounds good. I love scallops but DH doesn't. He always gets its name and scampi mixed up though when he sees it on a menu....:)

I think next time I fix something seafood I'll go ahead and pick me up a few for myself and try fixing them myself.

Back
Top Bottom