"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-03-2011, 01:49 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Pasatta question

Pasatta seems to be tomato puree with the seeds and skins removed.

How do you use this? Can it be substituted for canned tomatoes in most recipes? Any caveats?

I just found out that canned tomatoes absorb BPA (Bisphenol A) from the linings of the cans. They do this more than most other foods because they are acidic. BPA is estrogenic and I'm not supposed to eat estrogenic foods. A local grocery store has pasatta in glass jars on special. Yes, I might get some BPA from the lid, but it won't be anywhere near as much as from a can.

This is going to be a real PITA. Even most organic canned tomatoes are in cans lined with a BPA containing coating.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:04 PM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

It looks like pasatta is just tomato puree. Can be used like you would tomato sauce or canned tomatoes...just no chunks!

Old 03-05-2011, 02:07 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

You're gonna have to plant more tomatoes, Taxlady <g>. When I run my tomato sauce through the food mill, that's what I get. I freeze mine and use it like you would use any tomato sauce.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:50 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
You're gonna have to plant more tomatoes, Taxlady <g>. When I run my tomato sauce through the food mill, that's what I get. I freeze mine and use it like you would use any tomato sauce.
I wish I could. My yard is 14'x16'. I tried growing tomatoes. I didn't get many because the squirrels ate them green, or just bit them a bit and threw the rest away.

I'm thinking I'll pick up a couple of crates of tomatoes at the farmer's market late summer. I'll probably can them in glass jars with these: TATTLER Reusable Canning Jar Lids Home Page. I have been reading some discouraging stuff about all the hormone mimicking stuff that all plastics give off, especially with something as acidic as tomatoes. I was thinking of freezing tomatoes until reading that about plastics. I know those reusable lids are plastic, but they won't touch the food much and they should pay for themselves if I get back into canning.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:00 PM   #5
Senior Cook

I freeze tomato sauce in glass jars. Make sure to leave at least 1-2 inches at the top of each jar. I don't even use lids. I use a double layer of plastic wrap over the top of the jar ( it doesn't touch the food at all) and then a double layer of foil over that, pressed tightly over the top of the jar. Stand the jars in the freezer so that they don't bump into each other. I never have a problem doing this. I have also frozen whole tomatoes -- no liquid. When you defrost the whole tomatoes, the skins slip off easily. You can then cut the tomato in half and scoop out the seeds. Chop and cook with herbs, onion, garlic, etc. to make a fresh tasting sauce.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:49 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

The pasata was lovely. I just bought a flat of six bottles at Costco.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:18 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyCooks View Post
I freeze tomato sauce in glass jars. Make sure to leave at least 1-2 inches at the top of each jar. I don't even use lids. I use a double layer of plastic wrap over the top of the jar ( it doesn't touch the food at all) and then a double layer of foil over that, pressed tightly over the top of the jar. Stand the jars in the freezer so that they don't bump into each other. I never have a problem doing this. I have also frozen whole tomatoes -- no liquid. When you defrost the whole tomatoes, the skins slip off easily. You can then cut the tomato in half and scoop out the seeds. Chop and cook with herbs, onion, garlic, etc. to make a fresh tasting sauce.
I usually do the same. I buy about 10 KG of fresh tomatoes and cut them into quarters, then place them in the food processor. I freeze the sauce in small glass jars, so that each one is enough for 1 meal. Then I cover the top of each jar with a layer of plastic wrap and then cover with the lid. By this way the sauce do not touch the lid.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:19 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyCooks View Post
I grow 3 different types of Toms, the Roma paste plum toms I grow are just for sauce or freezing because they are a very dry tom with few seeds.