Passion flower fruits - are they edible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Linux

Washing Up
Or, toxic?

A pretty orange, they resemble Italian plum tomatoes, and I know passion flower leaves and flowers are toxic, but unsure about their fruit. I'm tempted to rip it out anyway, as we have children.

Yes, the fruit are edible. We have native ones that we call maypops. When they ripen, they are still greenish and the inside is filled with seeds surrounded by jelly-like stuff. You can eat them plain, but we have made a sweetened watery drink out of them, like lemonade. They kinda taste like pineapples. I'm pretty sure the fruit of all species are edible, but I would check first.

Many thanks for both your replies.

I have since identified the plant to be dubious, and have since posting, unearthed it. Much as I adore such beautiful flowers, I can not take the risk of not knowing 100% certainty.

In our family mansion we have a large Victorian conservatory. In it among other exotics I grow bourganvillia, and have a large kumquat plant whose fruit is utterly delicious. Especially when preserved in gin and sugar syrup, the preserving jars lined inside with kiwi fruit. And deffy not for children! ;)

Many thanks for both your replies.

I have since identified the plant to be dubious, and have since posting, unearthed it. Much as I adore such beautiful flowers, I can not take the risk of not knowing 100% certainty.

In our family mansion we have a large Victorian conservatory. In it among other exotics I grow bourganvillia, and have a large kumquat plant whose fruit is utterly delicious. Especially when preserved in gin and sugar syrup, the preserving jars lined inside with kiwi fruit. And deffy not for children! ;)

Sounds like I need to make a road trip!Sans children!

Sounds like I need to make a road trip!Sans children!

There'd be enough room for you, I've no doubt. At Christmastime we lock 'em in the dungeon if they misbehave.

Joking. Mine's alright, though I keep a hawk eye on her all the same. :LOL:

a large kumquat plant whose fruit is utterly delicious. Especially when preserved in gin and sugar syrup, the preserving jars lined inside with kiwi fruit. And deffy not for children! ;)
I love kumquats. I love kiwi. And gin and I get along just fine. This sounds like a fun and delicious combination.

Back
Top Bottom