"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-05-2016, 10:21 PM   #21
Sous Chef
 
rodentraiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Puget Sound, WA
Posts: 678
I don't want to bust anyone's bubble, but that cup of pasta? It doesn't have anything on it.
__________________

__________________
rodentraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 10:41 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I don't want to bust anyone's bubble, but that cup of pasta? It doesn't have anything on it.
That's because the photo is meant to illustrate how much pasta is in a serving.
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 10:58 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Addie, I've read a number of books about the Mediterranean diet and not one said you have to include wine with your dinner. They say that if you want a glass of wine daily, to consume it with your dinner meal and, even more importantly, with friends and family who join you at table. The wine isn't a necessity. A wholesome, well balanced meal and a convivial group makes for a good dinner.

And I guess Himself and I aren't American. We never have bread with dinner, except for an occasional Grands biscuit with ham or smoked pork chops. Heck, many times I don't use bread when I make a sandwich - I wrap the meat in a lettuce leaf.
I don't eat bread either. I have been known to just eat the meat. Sometimes I will put a small smear of mayo on it. Then I roll it up and eat it. Yet my kids could live on bread. Although I have gotten Pirate to eat wraps now. Less intake of carbs. I haven't bought a loaf of bread for the last three months or more. Prior to the last time, the birds were well fed. The whole loaf minus a slice or two, would go stale.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:00 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,923
Wraps have the same amount of carbs as bread. They just have less air.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:31 PM   #25
Master Chef
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 6,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I don't eat bread either. I have been known to just eat the meat. Sometimes I will put a small smear of mayo on it. Then I roll it up and eat it. Yet my kids could live on bread. Although I have gotten Pirate to eat wraps now. Less intake of carbs. I haven't bought a loaf of bread for the last three months or more. Prior to the last time, the birds were well fed. The whole loaf minus a slice or two, would go stale.
Why don't you put your loaf of bread in the freezer when you buy it and just pull off a slice or two when you want it? Works quite well.
__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:28 PM   #26
Master Chef
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Addie, please stop speaking as if your experience applies to everyone I've visited Italy twice, in six or so cities, and meat is certainly not always served separately like that.
Sorry to disagree BUT Maybe not everywhere but in my Italian American family dinners the meatballs, sausage and Braciole where served this way and passed around.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
I am allowed cup or 2oz of carbs, cup of cooked vegetables and 4oz of protein. I can have as much salad as I want, as long as I limit the dressing to 2 tablespoons. I once watched Graham Kerr, on his health concious TV show called The Gathering Place, dress a salad large enough for a family of 4 with tabelspoon of dressing. He used a salad spinner! Of course, he didn't have to worry about cleaning it afterwards. The production company has people for that.
Yup 1/2 cup; we get 8 servings (2 meals for a family of 4) from a pound of pasta.
I like a green salad dressed with nothing but grated parmesan & romano cheeses, lemon juice, salt and fresh ground pepper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Addie, I've read a number of books about the Mediterranean diet and not one said you have to include wine with your dinner. They say that if you want a glass of wine daily, to consume it with your dinner meal and, even more importantly, with friends and family who join you at table. The wine isn't a necessity. A wholesome, well balanced meal and a convivial group makes for a good dinner.

And I guess Himself and I aren't American. We never have bread with dinner, except for an occasional Grands biscuit with ham or smoked pork chops. Heck, many times I don't use bread when I make a sandwich - I wrap the meat in a lettuce leaf.
We don't eat much bread either with meals unless it's a breakfast biscuit, a rare homemade cheddar bay biscuit with a fish dinner, or a sandwich meal (which I usually make meat and cheese rolls eat on their own or eat with salad no bread).
__________________
Your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain. -Dave Barry
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:12 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
Sorry to disagree BUT Maybe not everywhere but in my Italian American family dinners the meatballs, sausage and Braciole where served this way and passed around.

And that's fine, but she didn't say "Italian American family." She said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
For Americans, we serve meat and have bread with almost every meal. If meat is included in the Italian meal, it is served separately in a big bowl. As the bowl is passed around, you have the option of take it or leave it. Americans tend to serve directly from the stove. (Unless they are having company and want to impress.)
Italian Americans aren't the only ones who in America who have Italian meals.

And maybe Addie serves herself from the stove, but that doesn't mean everyone does. It also contradicts the statement that people pass the meat around the table. Totally inconsistent, as usual.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:32 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Hmmmm, ITALIAN scientists and pasta. I think I'd more evidence from other sources.
Just because Italians did a study on the effects of pasta as part of the Mediterranean diet doesn't automatically mean it's invalid. Apparently, eating pasta with the other typical components provides a sense of satiety that veggies alone doesn't.

More info:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...uld-eat-pasta/

http://www.nature.com/nutd/journal/v...td201620a.html
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:36 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
It is recommended that you follow the Mediterranean diet accordion to the CNN report this morning. I didn't see that in this report.
It was there. You have to read the entire article.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 02:24 PM   #30
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Just because Italians did a study on the effects of pasta as part of the Mediterranean diet doesn't automatically mean it's invalid...
I realize that. I was just trying to be a little too cute suggesting special interests' impacting the results.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
pasta

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.