"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-10-2012, 12:00 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Thank you for posting this information CF.

For those who think it's unnecessary, you're most welcome to do as you please, and just scroll on by.

Since I was once hospitalized with salmonella poisoning, I will do everything possible to be safe rather than sorry. Statistics were sure not on my side, but maybe they will be on yours.
I have also had salmonella, and do anything possible to keep it from happening again. No matter how slim the chances are, if there is a way this easy to prevent it, then that is just great. You should see me disinfect my kitchen after handling raw poultry lol. I actually got it from the lettuce in a fast food restaurant, and unfortunately you just don't have any control over something like that if you choose to eat out, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't try to prevent it in my home.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:30 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
I have also had salmonella, and do anything possible to keep it from happening again. No matter how slim the chances are, if there is a way this easy to prevent it, then that is just great. You should see me disinfect my kitchen after handling raw poultry lol. I actually got it from the lettuce in a fast food restaurant, and unfortunately you just don't have any control over something like that if you choose to eat out, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't try to prevent it in my home.
Oh man, that's not good. A friend of mine got salmonella poisoning from lettuce. She washes the lettuce well, but I guess sometimes it is inside the leaves? I don't know. There has been a lot of this lately in lettuce and alfalfa sprouts (which I love). Some markets have stopped carrying the sprouts.
I suppose if we could see germs we wouldn't touch the back of a chair.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:12 PM   #13
Cook

We use raw egg yolks when making our mayonnaise. We used to try to pasteurize them, but decided it wasn't worth the effort. It's hard to do it without unintentionally cooking it. Also, when eating mayo, you're not eating a lot at once.

One other aspect to the risk is that if an egg is infected with salmonella, it will supposedly look different (after breaking it open) or smell different from a normal egg. So we always examine ours carefully.

True, it's a calculated risk, but I do think the risk is overblown by the news media.

This recipe rarely fails:

Equipment:

A food processor

Ingredients:

4 large egg yolks
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tsp salt
2.5 - 3 cups oil (we use olive oil).

I don't worry too much about salmonella in the eggs, since it is rare. However, sometimes I nuke the yolks for about 20 seconds. This can make the may a little lumpy looking, but it still tastes fine.

Process:

Let everything come to room temperature

Put the egg yolks, lemon juice, & salt in the bowl of a food processor with a steel blade.

With the blade running, slowly add a thin stream of canola oil. Do not go too fast. A slow, thin drizzle is best.

When the mixture is properly emulsified (you will have used almost all the oil), stop. The mixture should have the same consistency as a freshly opened, room temperature jar of Hellman's mayonnaise.

Tags
eggs