Pasteurizing Eggs At Home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Maloney

Senior Cook
There is a simple way to PASTEURIZE eggs at home.
SOURCE: * melindalee.com * go to 'BASICS' then go to 'ABOUT EGGS'

Salmonella bacteria is killed at a maintained temperature of 140 degrees in about 3 1/2 minutes.

Eggs begin to cook at 160 degrees.

If a temperature of lets say, 142 degrees (to be safe) is maintained for 3 1/2 minutes, the bacteria will be killed and the result is a safe egg that will act like a raw egg in recipes.

Mark the eggs with a 'P' (for pasteurized) to avoid confusion of which eggs have been pasteurized, and refrigerate.

An instant read thermometer can be used for the process.
Place the eggs in a bowl of warm water, leave the thermometer in the water, add room temp eggs and use a timer.

Larger eggs, such as JUMBO will take 5 minutes to pasteurize.

Last edited:
"True Sir_Loin"

You do realize that the chances of getting an egg infected with salmonella are like 500,000 to 1, right?

oh ya. That is true Sir_Loin_of_Beef :)
I have NEVER had a problem with eggs in my life.
I'm simply a miniscule nothing in the scheme of things eh? Even the bacteria doesn't like me :LOL:

You do realize that the chances of getting an egg infected with salmonella are like 500,000 to 1, right?
I think that your figure may be a little eggcentric, Sir_Loin.
The FDA claimed in 2009,that the number of salmonella infections from eggs was stable at about 142,000 p.a. (Wiki has the reference). The 2011 US population estimate was 311,592,917, giving an incidence of about one infection per 2,194 people. On the bright side, there are about 3,000,000 injuries from auto accidents per year, so it is still much safer to eat one, or even two, unpasteurized eggs than to go out for a spin. :)
Cheers

Last edited:
Honey. Gimme one of those salmonella eggs for breakfast today. I'm late for work and havta drive real fast, and what are the odds of getting salmonella AND getting killed in an accident on the same day?

(Course I guess I havta eat that egg raw. If I cook it, I'm right back to the original chance of dying in the wreck.)

To whom it may concern:

To whom it may concern:
there is a simple way to pasteurize eggs at home.
source: * melindalee.com * go to 'basics' then go to 'about eggs'

salmonella bacteria is killed at a maintained temperature of 140 degrees in about 3 1/2 minutes.

eggs begin to cook at 160 degrees.

if a temperature of lets say, 142 degrees (to be safe) is maintained for 3 1/2 minutes, the bacteria will be killed and the result is a safe egg that will act like a raw egg in recipes.

mark the eggs with a 'p' (for pasteurized) to avoid confusion of which eggs have been pasteurized, and refrigerate.

an instant read thermometer can be used for the process.
place the eggs in a bowl of warm water, leave the thermometer in the water, add room temp eggs and use a timer.

larger eggs, such as jumbo will take 5 minutes to pasteurize.

You Are Welcome

This is very important information thank you so much Chef Maloney :)

You are welcome Alex-Peter. Someone responded to a recipe I posted titled 'World's Best Vinaigrette'. They were concerned with the safety of using a raw egg, which is one of the ingredients in the recipe. I heard this information on Melinda Lee's 'food news' program and thought I'd pass it along for those interested :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for posting this information CF.

For those who think it's unnecessary, you're most welcome to do as you please, and just scroll on by.

Since I was once hospitalized with salmonella poisoning, I will do everything possible to be safe rather than sorry. Statistics were sure not on my side, but maybe they will be on yours.

Thank you for posting this information CF.

For those who think it's unnecessary, you're most welcome to do as you please, and just scroll on by.

Since I was once hospitalized with salmonella poisoning, I will do everything possible to be safe rather than sorry. Statistics were sure not on my side, but maybe they will be on yours.

I have also had salmonella, and do anything possible to keep it from happening again. No matter how slim the chances are, if there is a way this easy to prevent it, then that is just great. You should see me disinfect my kitchen after handling raw poultry lol. I actually got it from the lettuce in a fast food restaurant, and unfortunately you just don't have any control over something like that if you choose to eat out, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't try to prevent it in my home.

I have also had salmonella, and do anything possible to keep it from happening again. No matter how slim the chances are, if there is a way this easy to prevent it, then that is just great. You should see me disinfect my kitchen after handling raw poultry lol. I actually got it from the lettuce in a fast food restaurant, and unfortunately you just don't have any control over something like that if you choose to eat out, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't try to prevent it in my home.

Oh man, that's not good. A friend of mine got salmonella poisoning from lettuce. She washes the lettuce well, but I guess sometimes it is inside the leaves? I don't know. There has been a lot of this lately in lettuce and alfalfa sprouts (which I love). Some markets have stopped carrying the sprouts.
I suppose if we could see germs we wouldn't touch the back of a chair.

Last edited:
We use raw egg yolks when making our mayonnaise. We used to try to pasteurize them, but decided it wasn't worth the effort. It's hard to do it without unintentionally cooking it. Also, when eating mayo, you're not eating a lot at once.

One other aspect to the risk is that if an egg is infected with salmonella, it will supposedly look different (after breaking it open) or smell different from a normal egg. So we always examine ours carefully.

True, it's a calculated risk, but I do think the risk is overblown by the news media.

This recipe rarely fails:

Equipment:

A food processor

Ingredients:

4 large egg yolks
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tsp salt
2.5 - 3 cups oil (we use olive oil).

I don't worry too much about salmonella in the eggs, since it is rare. However, sometimes I nuke the yolks for about 20 seconds. This can make the may a little lumpy looking, but it still tastes fine.

Process:

Let everything come to room temperature

Put the egg yolks, lemon juice, & salt in the bowl of a food processor with a steel blade.

With the blade running, slowly add a thin stream of canola oil. Do not go too fast. A slow, thin drizzle is best.

When the mixture is properly emulsified (you will have used almost all the oil), stop. The mixture should have the same consistency as a freshly opened, room temperature jar of Hellman's mayonnaise.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom