Patty pan squash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

licia

Executive Chef
A neighbor gave us several patty pan squash and I've never cooked them. I would like some suggestions, recipes, etc. Thanks.

Just about like any other squash.....The small ones are nice to stuff...Hollow out and fill with a seafood stuffing....that would be my first choice.....

Have Fun!

Licia. Hubby likes them sliced dipped in milk and bread crumbs and deep fried.We have 4 in the garden that needs picking. He might get them for dinner.

Josie

patti pan aka ufo squash are best in the small version. smaller that your palm is best,

it'll work with any technique you use for butternut.

my personal fav is sliced (top to bottom, so to speak) egg wash, panko, sauted.
keep the slices about 1/2 inch thick - otherwise they don't cook through before the breading goes to charcoal. push come to shove, saute then pop them in a hot oven for 4-5 minutes.

they do not have a distinctive flavor or taste - so you can season them liberally.

Deep fried is great but you might also try sauteing them with butter, salt and pepper and when they are just soft sprinkle them with parm. Yum.

Hi licia,
kind of late but I think I'd slice and put in a greased baking dish, top with butter, some marjoram, panko, salt, pepper and top everything with some heavy cream then with a sprinkle of parmesan.
kades

The reason your neighbour gave them to you is the plant is VERY prolific...I saute them, bake them, stuff them, deep-fry them, give them away, give them away, and give them away. Of the summer squashes, they are one of the best keepers, however. I've picked them in September and eaten them in November.

This year--I'm limiting the planting to one hill of three plants.

Many of you mention stuffing the squash, What did you use. I'd like to give it a try as DH cam home with a bag of them plopped them on the sink and said Here.
HELP:LOL:
kades

Last edited:
Just about like any other squash.....The small ones are nice to stuff...Hollow out and fill with a seafood stuffing....that would be my first choice.....

Have Fun!

CJ......

Crab, shrimp, crawfish, or a combination of....Or anything tasty you would stuff into a mushroom.......

CJ......

Crab, shrimp, crawfish, or a combination of....Or anything tasty you would stuff into a mushroom.......
Thanks UB that sounds so good. I had artichokes hollowed and filled with a seafood mizx,some buttered bread crumbs, parsley, and majoram. Yummy I'll be making this soon. Possibly Sunday. Thanks again.
cj

Thanks for all the ideas. We were at the farm for a week so I'll just now be able to get to them.

Back
Top Bottom