Peeling Hard Boiled Eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cindy lu

Assistant Cook
I just went through 3 dozen eggs to get 22 egg halfs for develed eggs. I could not get them to peel, I do not know what to do to get them peel good. HELP PLEASE

Cindy Lu

Hi, Cindy Lu.

Older eggs peel easier than fresher eggs. If you can plan in advance, buy your eggs a week in advance of boiling.

After boiling the eggs, pour off the water and vigerously shake the pan with the lid on to crack the eggshells thoughroughly.

Then fill the pan with cold water and ice cubes to cool down the eggs. Once cool, the peeling should go a lot easier.

You can also try peeling the shell while holding under a running water. The water will get between the egg and shell and make it easier to remove.

Of course you could do it the fast way, if you are not too concerned about sanitary conditions -- prick small hole in small end, crack egg on the other end, blow hard through the pin hole. The egg will come out clean and quick.

Cindy Lu, this thread was started a few days ago and has some good (and not so good) ideas.

Mine is to crack the shell and the just gently slide a teaspoon under the shell and "skin. Works pretty well every time. But check the thread too.

I add lots of salt to my boiling eggs. When the eggs are done i take the pan of eggs over to the kitchen sink and drain off all water. I then add cold water to help cool the eggs just enough for me to handle and i imediately start peeling the eggs. :) It works every time :)

wow! I just did a few of the tips here, and the eggs are about to peel themselves!!! my kiddo LOVES deviled eggs, but I HATE peeling them! I did the usual, drain boiling water, then cold water for a few minutes. Drained, then rolled around in the pan to pre-crack the shells, now more cold water and into the fridge until completely cool. I think it is going to work GREAT!!!!! :rolleyes:

I add lots of salt to my boiling eggs. When the eggs are done i take the pan of eggs over to the kitchen sink and drain off all water. I then add cold water to help cool the eggs just enough for me to handle and i imediately start peeling the eggs. :) It works every time :)

:) Thats what I do now as well it works great.

I so the same thing, except I crack the shells a bit all the way around and let set in cold water for about 10 minutes. Shells peel off like a rubber wet suit!

Same trouble...

I just went through 3 dozen eggs to get 22 egg halfs for develed eggs. I could not get them to peel, I do not know what to do to get them peel good. HELP PLEASE

Cindy Lu
I posted this last week about the stubborn eggs. You might like it. Other suggestions followed. The post is under eggs. In the meantime, watch this technique. How to “Peel” Hard-Boiled Eggs Without Peeling

I didn't have quite the luck....

I just watched that video Phil.... DH is gonna get a kick out of that when I try it!!! :ROFLMAO:
...but I was in such a flurry Thursday morning, I didn't remember how much soda to add to the water, so I probably used a quarter t. And to add insult to injury, ( I only boiled two eggs ), I was forgot to crack one of the eggs in the ice bath for the experiment. These were fresh eggs BTW, and the first one started off difficult as in mini pieces but peeled fairly quickly. And, although the second one didn't "pop" out using the blowing technique, it did loosen the shell and made it really easy. I'll see what happens next time.

Well, if it wasn't so late in the evening, I'd run into the kitchen and cook some eggs to try a couple of these methods!

I hard boil eggs starting in cold water - bringing eggs and water to boil,
ramove pot from heat, cover pot and let eggs sit 18 min. and then
into ice bath.
Before placing eggs in the pot I pierce the broad end of the egg
with a pin - this allows expanding air in the cavity to escape and
prevents premature cracking of the shell.

Cindy Lu

Hi Cindy Lu,

Once the eggs have been boiled, drain them and then let cold water run through the pot for about 10/15/20 minutes to cool ALL the eggs - depends how many you have to do! :LOL: Drain them and shake them really well to break and crack the shells.

Next, take an egg out of the pot and make sure the shell is cracked all over before peeling. Now begin peeling and you should have every egg perfectly peeled!

All the best,
Archiduc

Okay, I admit it. I went right into the kitchen the other day after reading this post and watching that insanely funny video...and tried it.

Of course, I completely forgot about the baking powder. I tried to blow the egg out and it didn't work...but, it did lossen the membrane from the egg so once I cracked it all over, it peeled in two or three pieces!

I brought it to a boil and then reset the flame to just low enough to keep it to a slow boil...I let it boil for 11 minutes and immediately ran cold water over for about 10 minutes. Threw a couple handfuls of ice in the pan and waited 5 minutes. Peeled the eggs under cold running water and they were perfect...every last one of them.

I'm a sucker for punishment...decided to make pickled eggs yesterday, just so I could do eggs again, LOL!

Worked like a charm...

Everyone, I still say that it doesn't matter how you boil them, etc. Just TRY the teaspoon trick....it never fails! Just crack the shell, get the spoon under the membrane and voila, it's a snap!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom