"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-27-2008, 10:22 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Peeling Hard Boiled Eggs

I just went through 3 dozen eggs to get 22 egg halfs for develed eggs. I could not get them to peel, I do not know what to do to get them peel good. HELP PLEASE

Cindy Lu

Old 11-27-2008, 10:46 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Hi, Cindy Lu.

Older eggs peel easier than fresher eggs. If you can plan in advance, buy your eggs a week in advance of boiling.

After boiling the eggs, pour off the water and vigerously shake the pan with the lid on to crack the eggshells thoughroughly.

Then fill the pan with cold water and ice cubes to cool down the eggs. Once cool, the peeling should go a lot easier.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:48 AM   #3
Head Chef

I also do an ice bath right when they come off of the stove. Seems to help.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:56 AM   #4
Head Chef

You can also try peeling the shell while holding under a running water. The water will get between the egg and shell and make it easier to remove.

Of course you could do it the fast way, if you are not too concerned about sanitary conditions -- prick small hole in small end, crack egg on the other end, blow hard through the pin hole. The egg will come out clean and quick.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:11 AM   #5
Certified Cake Maniac

Cindy Lu, this thread was started a few days ago and has some good (and not so good) ideas.

Mine is to crack the shell and the just gently slide a teaspoon under the shell and "skin. Works pretty well every time. But check the thread too.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 11:34 AM   #6
Executive Chef

I add lots of salt to my boiling eggs. When the eggs are done i take the pan of eggs over to the kitchen sink and drain off all water. I then add cold water to help cool the eggs just enough for me to handle and i imediately start peeling the eggs. It works every time
Old 11-27-2008, 12:27 PM   #7
Cooking Links Contest Winner

Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
wow! I just did a few of the tips here, and the eggs are about to peel themselves!!! my kiddo LOVES deviled eggs, but I HATE peeling them! I did the usual, drain boiling water, then cold water for a few minutes. Drained, then rolled around in the pan to pre-crack the shells, now more cold water and into the fridge until completely cool. I think it is going to work GREAT!!!!!

shannon in KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 12:55 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesaver View Post
I add lots of salt to my boiling eggs. When the eggs are done i take the pan of eggs over to the kitchen sink and drain off all water. I then add cold water to help cool the eggs just enough for me to handle and i imediately start peeling the eggs. It works every time
Thats what I do now as well it works great.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:46 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesaver View Post
I so the same thing, except I crack the shells a bit all the way around and let set in cold water for about 10 minutes. Shells peel off like a rubber wet suit!
Old 11-28-2008, 07:40 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Same trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy lu View Post
I just went through 3 dozen eggs to get 22 egg halfs for develed eggs. I could not get them to peel, I do not know what to do to get them peel good. HELP PLEASE

Cindy Lu
I posted this last week about the stubborn eggs. You might like it. Other suggestions followed. The post is under eggs. In the meantime, watch this technique. How to “Peel” Hard-Boiled Eggs Without Peeling