Penzeys Spices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks to all for this thread. I'd never heard of the stuff, but was very impressed by your opinions and their website and pricing. I look forward to the arrival of their catalog, but hope the Sarawack I ordered anyway today arrives first!

Audeo said:
I look forward to the arrival of their catalog, but hope the Sarawack I ordered anyway today arrives first!
A catalogue will probably arrive with your order. I think you will really like this company.

Robt said:
Merstar,

You are making really good choices on the sarawak and extra bold pepper corns.

The Sarawak doesn't even need food to accompany it. The smell alone is pure heaven!

Robt,

Thanks a lot for letting me know about the peppercorns. I'm looking forward to trying them!

jennyema said:
I am a loyal Penzey's follower. I try to order almost everything from them because it's so much better quality than the store-brands and also ends up to be cheaper, usually.

Staples in my house are peppercorns, thyme, cinnamon, vanilla, garlic and onion powder, bay leaves, cumin, chile powder, dried chiles, oregano, several of the curry mixes, allspice berries, ginger, and more stuff that I am forgetting. I also have tried some of their spice blends in small quantities.

Robt is right about the pepper. I ordered both Sarawack and Xspecial awhile ago and the aroma alone put me into the trancelike state I go around in today. :shock:

Can't wait for their Boston location.

jennyema,

I'm glad to hear another endorsement of the Sarawak and Extra Special Bold! I'm going to be ordering them soon.

Since we are talking about peppercorns, can someone give me a basic education on the different types? What the differences are and when you might use one over another? I have to confess that this is one thing I have never learned anything about and it is about time that I do ;)

Peppercorns and Pepper

Part 2: Many peppercorn colors and flavors to choose from

Peppercorn varieties
You may be surprised to learn that black, white, and green peppercorns are all the same seed of the same plant in various stages of development and processing. The active ingredient in pepper is piperine, of which a mere twenty parts per million can be detected. The berries grow on spikes, with fifty to sixty berries per spike. Before you ask why cayenne is not included here, it's because cayenne pepper is a capsicum, related to chile peppers.

Black Peppercorns: You may think that these are the mature fruit of the plant. Not so. They have reached their full size, but are not quite ripe. They are picked and allowed to dry in the sun. Enzymes in the berries cause the skin to turn black during the drying process. Strongest in flavor.

whitepepr.gif
White Peppercorns: These are actually the mature berries which ripen to a red color before being picked. After harvesting, they are soaked and rubbed free of the outer skin down to the smooth white underlayer, then dried and bleached by the sun. Slightly milder than black pepper.

Green Peppercorns: This is the unripe version, picked while green and usually pickled in vinegar or brine. You may also find them freeze-dried and dehydrated (more flavorful). Green peppercorns are actually picked at the same stage of ripeness as black peppercorns, but not allowed to dry. Their flavor and spiciness is less concentrated than black peppercorns. Least pungent.

Red Peppercorns: This mature, but unhulled version of the peppercorn is often difficult to find.

peprcorn.gif
Pink Peppercorns: In spite of its moniker, these are unrelated to the black peppercorn. They come from the Baies rose plant (Euonymus phellomanus), imported from Madagascar and as a result, expensive. They are pungent and slightly sweet, but not nearly as flavorful as the real thing. These berries were once banned by the Food and Drug Administration as a foodstuff, but are now considered safe for consumption. This seed is not to be confused with the Brazilian pepper berry below.

Pink Berries: Also often called pink peppercorn, this berry is also unrelated to the black peppercorn. It is the seed of Schinus terebinthifolius, also known as Brazilian pepper tree, Christmas berry, and Florida holly, and is considered a scourge in Florida. The flavor is hardly spicy hot, and more of a sweet menthol and resinous nature. This berry causes allergic reactions in some, particularly children, and can be toxic in large quantities. Not recommended.

Thanks Rainee! That is some great info. What I am more looking for though is the differences in the varieties like Tellicherry, Sarawak and Special Extra Bold for instance.

Haven't looked at it yet other than a quick leafing thru. Because of all you fine people who post here every day, I am waaay behind in reading anything that isn't on a computer screen. However, this is not meant as a complaint.

mudbug said:
Got my catalogue already. Wow, that was fast.
Would have been even faster if you downloaded it:
http://www.penzeys.com/images/F04.pdf

GB said:
OK I am very excited. I just placed my first order through Penzeys Spices. I have heard great things about them, but have never tried their stuff. Here is what I just ordered:

Fajita Seasoning
Brown Mustard Seed
Ozark Seasoning
Chicken Soup Base
Chicken Taco Seasoning
Sicilian Salad Seasoning
Garden Salad Seasoning

I can't wait to get my order :)

Oh and they were having a contest to see where they would open their next store and Boston won. That made my day!

What have you bought from Penzeys and did you like it or not?

I would like everyone to meditate on the philosophy of cooking for a moment. Now, isn't using premixed spices sort of like using cake mix? The cook has lost control by giving it to a manufacturer. When that manufacturer goes out of business, it will no longer be possible for the cook to duplicate the recipe. The recipe cannot be used by anyone who does not have access to the manufacturer's mix. Cooking is about control. If not, why not just eat at a restaurant?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom