"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2019, 04:58 PM   #1
Sous Chef

People on fixed incomes buying fast food

Wife's cousin is disabled and only gets like $170/month in food benefits. She wastes it in the hot foods/prepared foods/deli area of the Giant Eagle (across the street from her apartment).

Wife tried to show her some basic recipes like homemade soups, subs, etc., but her cousin started to get defensive.

"I can't afford to make homemade subs! The store has them for $5 already made. If I buy all the fixings, it will cost way more than $5!" Then my wife gently tried to point out that about $10 will buy enough ingredients to make about 10 subs. So instead of $50 for 10 store made subs, she can have 10 homemade ones for $10.

My wife was met with an attitude. Also, the soup idea of some stew meat or hamburger and a bag of frozen veggies, some diced tomatoes, seasoning, etc. was shot down. Because she can buy canned soups and soup from the hot foods area for less than the stuff to make homemade soup. But again $10 of soup ingredients will make a couple of gallons of soup.

She was out of food and eating ramen noodles and won't get any food benefits for a week, so my wife asked what she was hungry for and she said Chinese. Wife took her to the local Chinese place and gave her $50 and told her she could keep the change. So her cousin comes out waving $2 in the air. "Wow that didn't last long", she said with a laugh. Turns out she ordered 2 large orders of sesame scallops, 2 large orders of fried shrimp, 2 large orders of vegetable fried rice, 10 egg rolls, large egg drop soup, and some more stuff. She ate it all in one day. It was so much food, they put it in a cardboard box.

Wife thought she'd spend $10 on Chinese and then $40 at Giant Eagle. I told my wife she's a grown woman. Don't waste energy on her.

jd_1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 05:11 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

You and your wife - and her cousin, indirectly - might benefit from reading "The Spoon Theory" by Christine Miserandino from the website "But You Don't Look Sick," about what it's like to live with chronic illness and disability.

The Spoon Theory written by Christine Miserandino

Old 05-28-2019, 05:13 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
You and your wife - and her cousin, indirectly - might benefit from reading "The Spoon Theory" by Christine Miserandino, about what it's like to live with chronic illness and disability.

The Spoon Theory written by Christine Miserandino
Thanks, we will look it up.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:38 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I can't help but believe that "wife's cousin" is living her life on her terms..

No matter how one may perceive that she is wasting her food benefits, knowing there is a better way to feed herself, it is her choice to do so..

It may be possible that she just doesn't want to cook or that her disabilities make cooking difficult.. I, absolutely, do not know as, I do not know her but, I know of people my age, with difficulties, real or imagined, who live in a similar situation..

I try to be helpful and compassionate and allow them to live on their terms..

Ross
Old 05-28-2019, 05:48 PM   #5
Master Chef

Hi JD, good to see you back.

Without knowing the extent of wife's cousin's disability, it's hard to comment...sometimes people just get set in their ways and go the easy way that they are used to. I learned a long time ago that trying to change someone's eating habits are often met with an attitude.

Since your wife gave her cousin $50 at a Chinese restaurant, maybe the cousin assumed that she was welcome to spend it all there at the restaurant...? It was a very kind gesture for your wife to give her cousin $.

I wish you all the best, but I'm not sure I would spend much more time on trying to convince Cousin to adapt to a different way of eating. Inviting her to dinners of nutritious dollar friendly meals and sending home the leftovers with her might work, but then again, it might not. Best of luck to all of you.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:50 PM   #6
Master Chef

+1, Ross. We were posting at the same time and I was interrupted a couple of times by grandson.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:57 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Hi JD, good to see you back.

Without knowing the extent of wife's cousin's disability, it's hard to comment...sometimes people just get set in their ways and go the easy way that they are used to. I learned a long time ago that trying to change someone's eating habits are often met with an attitude.

Since your wife gave her cousin $50 at a Chinese restaurant, maybe the cousin assumed that she was welcome to spend it all there at the restaurant...? It was a very kind gesture for your wife to give her cousin $.

I wish you all the best, but I'm not sure I would spend much more time on trying to convince Cousin to adapt to a different way of eating. Inviting her to dinners of nutritious dollar friendly meals and sending home the leftovers with her might work, but then again, it might not. Best of luck to all of you.
Thanks for the warm welcome back. Yeah I hear ya. Wife assumed a person without food in her house would be logical and simply spend $10 at the Chinese place and then keep the remaining $40 to spend at the Giant Eagle across the street from her apartment.

My wife told her: "here's $50, get what you want, and keep the change." Maybe her cousin heard the "change" part and thought that meant to spend as much as possible and be left with some coins?

My wife is the last relative to help her. She has a dad a few miles away, but he never calls her or visits her. She's not physically disabled other than moderate obesity. She walks fine so the walking to the store is not a problem. It's closer than the Subway and McDonald's. She spends most of what little disposable income she has at McDonald's.

I didn't post the thread to bash her. I just thought it was puzzling how some people spend their resources on food. She asked us to help since she was down to 3 bags of ramen noodles. We were just trying to help her with some basic recipes and tips.

I posted this more about the general concept of the poor wasting money on prepared foods and not her in particular. Buying ingredients is a better value.
Old 05-28-2019, 06:11 PM   #8
Master Chef

Maybe getting her a reloadable ARCH card would help. https://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en-us/s...arch-card.html

Also some single serve and microwavable items.

or check into the availability of meals on wheels.

Good luck to all of you!!!
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:58 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
It can be hard to know the difficulties another person has. Maybe the cousin has a hard time with bending over. Maybe she tires easily.

I have a suggestion. If you or your wife want to spend money on her again, maybe bring some groceries to her house and help her prepare some soups and / or stews. Subs too, but you can only make a few if you want them to be good when it's time to eat them. Maybe she doesn't know how to make soup or stew from scratch and getting some help would be good. Maybe it would be really hard for her to do it on her own.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:04 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi again, jd, good to see you around. You and your wife are good cousins, but this part of your first post gives me the impression that she's happy with other people fixing her food:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_1138 View Post
...Wife took her to the local Chinese place and gave her $50 and told her she could keep the change. So her cousin comes out waving $2 in the air. "Wow that didn't last long", she said with a laugh. Turns out she ordered 2 large orders of sesame scallops, 2 large orders of fried shrimp, 2 large orders of vegetable fried rice, 10 egg rolls, large egg drop soup, and some more stuff. She ate it all in one day...
All in one day? I know that they say MSG makes you want to eat more, but oh dear, she might need an intervention...

taxy's suggestion of showing up at her place and working with her to make a couple of simple suppers might help. It could be that no one really took the time to teach her cost-cutting meals. Or she might not know how to work around the medical issues that bother her. Since your wife has had her own issues, she might be able to make suggestions that would work for her cousin. Then again, Cousin just might be content with doing more watching and less working, not really wanting to do for herself. Good luck and let us know if you are still working on her as your cooking project.

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fast, food