"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-03-2007, 11:11 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Pepitas or Pumpkin seeds

Try this! I use a hot air popcorn popper and buy raw pepitas from a local health food store. I put about 1/3 cup in the hot air popper and as they come out into a bowl I sometimes run them back through. I judge their doneness by the size that they get. It takes some experimenting, but have a good nutty taste which are done with hot air and no oil. Be carefull however and let them cool a bit as they can be very hot. Coalcookin

Old 05-04-2007, 12:27 AM   #2
Master Chef

Wellllll... if I still had a air popcorn popper!! I love pepitas!!! I usually toast mine up in a pan. But I love the idea of using the air popper.. thanks for the tip cc!!!

Old 05-06-2007, 09:21 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Due to health reasons this is the way I dry roast them. After the process is finished I will add garlic powder or sometimes red pepper. It is amazing how much different herbs change the flavor of things while using them as a salt substitute. Of coarse I still pop corn occasionaly and understand why some people don't care for the result as without salt and oil it doesn't taste as good to them. I sure enjoyed the extra butter at one time. Coalcookin